Notices

10 years of smoking - 4 years of every day drinking

Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 years of smoking - 4 years of every day drinking

Hey every body,

This is my story, started smoking in 11th grade, and today I smoke about 4-6 cigs a day sometime goes up. That is less of a concern but
I started drinking 10 years ago but about 4 year ago it become every day.

Today I look back, the 4 years is a blur and I have drank every day, I have tried to quit but it has not worked, 3 days was the max i could go.

Physically i am fine, kind off, but I have been diagnosed with sleep apena, cause of drinking and depression and it is getting worse.

I am trying to quit both again, starting today.

There is not a lot of people I can talk to who can understand what I am going through, with this multiple thoughts of crave and regret. and other worse thoughts.

As a person I used to be fun loving and happy, but today I don't know what is fun at all, I mean I am not able to enjoy anything, everything seams dull and don't seam to find a meaning for existence, leading to more bad thoughts.

I have skipped social meets, dinner with friends and cancelled a lot of things so that I can drink. I feel like I am super messed up.

I don't why I am writing here also..

so wish me luck. and any suggestion will help
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome createg.....I used to enjoy drinking....And then it turned on me...Wasn't fun anymore. I know where you are coming from.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR createg

I used to avoid social meets so I could drink too...it doesn't have to be this way. Have you looked into getting any support before?

You'll get lots of help here x
Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, hypochondriac

Nope I have not tried to get any help/support before.
If this attempt does not work, I am planning to visit a addiction help clinic or some sort.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How about AA...It's free and works for a lot of people. Would you be up for something like that?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

what is AA
Old 05-01-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi createg

I think you'll find a lot of people here who understand...I drank all day everyday for about 5 years...smoked like a chimney those years too...missed a lot of responsibilities, lost a lot of friends - would rather sit at home and drink than do anything else...my world became pretty grey...

but it's possible to make a new start

SR really helped me turn my life around - hope we can help you do the same

Welcome
D
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hello Createg,

Like you, I also isolated myself so that I could drink. Then it got to the point where I was drinking all day, every day, so NOT isolating myself wasn't even an option anymore. I was so out of it most of the time that I couldn't even leave the house if I'd wanted to. It's a very lonely way to live.

I'm glad you're here and I hope we can be of support to you.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Take a look at this...It will give you an idea. This site is great for support...Do some reading and ask questions here also...This is an overview of what to expect from a first meeting...Face to face support. It's kept me without a drink for 10 months.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by createg View Post
what is AA

A Place where people go to talk about themselves.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Createg

I do the same thing, it's a damn WAR, battling not to drink everyday. I just ordered a book that is an alternative option to AA, it's called Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction I got it off Amazon for $8.39 total including shipped. I'm going to try this route for now. I've been to AA a while back and had quit drinking for a month, but also quit going to AA.. so AA might be the answer..

Search "Rational Recovery" in the forums to find more about AVRT. It's not a meeting based recovery like AA, it's one you would do on your own. Good luck, let us know how you are doing.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by createg View Post
Hey every body,

This is my story, started smoking in 11th grade, and today I smoke about 4-6 cigs a day sometime goes up. That is less of a concern but
I started drinking 10 years ago but about 4 year ago it become every day.

Today I look back, the 4 years is a blur and I have drank every day, I have tried to quit but it has not worked, 3 days was the max i could go.

Physically i am fine, kind off, but I have been diagnosed with sleep apena, cause of drinking and depression and it is getting worse.

I am trying to quit both again, starting today.

There is not a lot of people I can talk to who can understand what I am going through, with this multiple thoughts of crave and regret. and other worse thoughts.

As a person I used to be fun loving and happy, but today I don't know what is fun at all, I mean I am not able to enjoy anything, everything seams dull and don't seam to find a meaning for existence, leading to more bad thoughts.

I have skipped social meets, dinner with friends and cancelled a lot of things so that I can drink. I feel like I am super messed up.

I don't why I am writing here also..

so wish me luck. and any suggestion will help
Congrats on posting. You can totally do this. I stopped drinking and smoking at the same time. In fact there are many studies being conducted now which show that stopping nicotine and Alcohol consumption simultaneously has very positive effects on long term sobriety .

Make sure to Speak to you doctor about your plan of action with stopping alcohol and nicotine consumption, and get there Medical opinion based on your case.

For me, Drinking and smoking went hand in hand. I Drank so that I can smoke, if that makes any sense.

You see I really hated the way cigarettes smelled and made my throat feel. But when I drank I enjoyed to smoke. So I used to drink to enjoy my cigarettes since I was really hooked. That's my story, I now have over 3.5 years free from Nicotine , Alcohol, etc.

What helped me was attending Nicotine Anonymous meetings and Alcoholics anonymous meetings. I met people at the Nicotine Anonymous meeting who also attending the AA meetings, it really helped me allot.

A great resource to find a local AA meeting is AA.org

Keep posting, and keep up the good work!

P.S,
Taking a walk, or jogging, along with lots of water intake, (as well as a little fruit juice for the first few days) really helped me alot!
Juicy apples, Oranges, Fruits, all help. Exercise even if just for a couple minutes really helped me get through cravings.

A great free resource that helped me for stopping smoking is Whyquit.com There is a free PDF book and some cool articles and videos. Really great resource!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey SeekSobriety...First..Congrats on your 3.5 years of kicking them both at the same time..I'm impressed. I had to deal with alcohol first and AA has been great for that. I've never seen a Nicotine Anonymous meeting listed anywhere...Are those pretty common where you are?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks for all the posts every body.

It is end of the day and now the thought war has began, I am constantly trying to convince my self, what is harm in a few drinks, there are people out there normal and drinking for years and years, you have no dependents to worry about, if something goes wrong no problem, just go drink, what is the worse that could happen ...............and it goes on and on and on.... dammmmmm
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found it easy to think about all those other people...but maybe try thinking about yourself more...

what others do is pretty much immaterial...you know what drinking does to you and you know why you came here.

I reckon you know there's no such thing as just one either

D
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

to be very frank, it is the wrong time i am trying to quit, but I have to also, I got to get back and study, which is almost impossible when getting drunk.

I have 2 months notice, on my job. How do i look at this - Be sad and drink and decide another day to quit or and the or thought is not at all in my head right now. It is going to be a hard day today...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is never a good time to quit...I spent 20 years proving that ...whenever you do it it's hard, tough and inconvenient as all get out.

The longer you leave it the harder it gets to put it down, createg...for what it's worth, my advice is the sooner you quit the easier you'll make it on yourself

D
Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Hey SeekSobriety...First..Congrats on your 3.5 years of kicking them both at the same time..I'm impressed. I had to deal with alcohol first and AA has been great for that. I've never seen a Nicotine Anonymous meeting listed anywhere...Are those pretty common where you are?
There are nicotine anonymous meetings all over the world, in person, on line or via phone confrence calls.

Check out
https://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/index.php

Hope it helps you as much as it has me!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

finally, i have managed 5 day on no drinking. but still smoking.

Just quitting drinking alone I feel so good.

This is what happened for the 5 days:
day 1 : as the night approached, all i was thinking was beer beer beer and beer, So i went out and eat as much i could so i would stop think of it. and it worked till about 11 in the night when i started to feel weird and the though of alcohol kicked in again, so i went and got more to eat and stuffed my self, the night was long and and dint get any sleep it was like my brain was super active thinking of all random things and finally fell asleep.

day 2 : Morning got up and I felt fresh and good, I am used to pooping every morning after drinking a ltr of warm water but today nothing, felt stiff in my stomach and nothing came. I knew about it so just carried on to work. and the went went as usual with the weird feeling of need to poop, I felt good the whole day and some how did the same thing ate and went to sleep again with a lot of struggle.

day 3: no poop again. but i was feeling awesome 2 days no drink and I felt like i could do things my thought flow was more active and good, and I did more work than usual and my concentration level went up very noticeably. but the stiff and wanting to go poop was troubling me, did some reading and found that stopping drinking does this, so got my self some prune juice. I was happy that 2 days went by and i was more active than ever went to sleep, and today i feel asleep faster and less random thoughts happened.

day 4: Prune worked magic, and the was just awesome, went to aunts place for dinner and was successful 4 days, and i got super sleep 8 hours flat and that has not happened in years.

day 5: I got up ,all was good and felt like I could do anything. I cant explain this feeling that i am having but i feel good. now I am writing this.

some of the alcohol withdrawal symptoms that i have or had
Feeling of nervousness - 2 day it was there
Feeling of shakiness - 2 days it was there
Anxiety - still there
Irritability and easily excited - still there mostly excited
Difficulty with thinking clearly - still there but way better than when i was drinking
Bad dreams - a lot
Sweating, especially the palms of the hands or the face - dam i dint know i would sweat so much and still there
Insomnia, sleeping difficulty - 3 days and I am fine now
Tremor of the hands - for 3 day stopped now
Involuntary, abnormal movements of the eyelids - still there

but compared to this feeling now that i am going through the it is manageable.
I hope i can continue this and next week i am planning on smoking lets see how this works out.