Notices

Cravings are kicking in argh!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Cravings are kicking in argh!

I'm on day 11 and up until this point I haven't really wanted to drink at all. I had a great sober weekend which I enjoyed immensely. But tonight, I feel myself really wanting a drink. I don't have any so I am definitely not going to drink!

I think it's because this was my usual routine...having some wine after work to help me relax/relieve stress from work....and now I am having to find some other way of coping with everything. I guess I am coping - going to counselling session tomorrow so that should spike my motivation again and I am starting to deal with emotional issues etc.

Plus I have my birthday coming up in two weeks time. I am starting to stress out about what I want to do for it because I don't really want to go out on the town now I am not drinking, so I feel myself opting to do nothing for it so that I won't drink. I hate feeling like I am isolating myself even further, because I tend to spend enough time alone!

I feel really weak!

Sorry for the crap post...just in need of some inspiration.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Morning Kelly,

I'm on Day 16 so we're kind of in the same boat time-wise. It's hard isn't it to imagine parties and events without alcohol? My idea of a good time ALWAYS included drinking. So at the moment, so early in my recovery, I'm avoiding going to parties and other events that would revolve around that. I'm supposed to be going to France with a friend this summer on holidays and I'm even considering pulling out because one of the attractions was the wine we would 'enjoy' while there...

So what to do? It's beginning to dawn on me that my entire life is undergoing a change. It's not just simply that all is the same except I no longer drink. I've got to re-imagine ways of enjoying myself and having a good time. To be honest day-to-day living hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be, in fact it's much better than when I was boozing it up! So the next step is to face celebrations, holidays, and life's milestones without a drink in my hand. We'll get there girl!! Good luck to you and well done on 11 days.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Have you considered going to AA. Easy to make sober friends that know what you are going through. Just a thought. Works for me.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Newatthis. Yes it is very hard to imagine celebrating things and going out without alcohol. I am also trying to avoid these situations, but it is hard. I'm also supposed to be going to Italy and France at the end of this year for 5 weeks and I am already quaking in my boots about this!!!

Awuh - I have sort of considered AA, but haven't actively sought any meetings out. I thought I would try cutting out alcohol while getting counselling first.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Ya, It’s very difficult going to that first AA meeting! Yet, you might kill two birds with that stone, friendship, and inspiration. Good work on your 11 days.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

as far as the cravings go if u have any hobbies thats usually an escape for me at least, regarding the birthdays ive always hated that one, a nice dinner out with some close friends maybe?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellyrally View Post
I'm on day 11 and up until this point I haven't really wanted to drink at all. I had a great sober weekend which I enjoyed immensely. But tonight, I feel myself really wanting a drink. I don't have any so I am definitely not going to drink!

I think it's because this was my usual routine...having some wine after work to help me relax/relieve stress from work....and now I am having to find some other way of coping with everything. I guess I am coping - going to counselling session tomorrow so that should spike my motivation again and I am starting to deal with emotional issues etc.

Plus I have my birthday coming up in two weeks time. I am starting to stress out about what I want to do for it because I don't really want to go out on the town now I am not drinking, so I feel myself opting to do nothing for it so that I won't drink. I hate feeling like I am isolating myself even further, because I tend to spend enough time alone!

I feel really weak!

Sorry for the crap post...just in need of some inspiration.

11 days, your not going to feel really different yet, grind it out you will get better.

Your Av is taking to you, cravings and feelings of life without drink is nothing more than your AV, Life without Alcohell is liberating . Stay on these forums read read and read , you will be ok.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I haven't had too many cravings yet (day nine here) but I am keeping things around to deal with them when they do arise...lots of fruit, nuts, and different non-caffeinated drinks to sip on...ginger ale, decaf iced tea, flavored seltzer, etc. Walking my dog, too, I used to just let him out in the yard but now I am actually walking him around the neighborhood on a leash.

For your birthday, what are your options? Can you go to a minor league ball game? A roller skating rink, museum, street fair? Antiquing? I guess it depends where you reside. Think outside the box. Check your town or church's website or local paper for upcoming things to do. Volunteer.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your posts. I will definitely stick with it...just need to be more one-minded about this I think.