Notices

I love beer. Advice please?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I love beer. Advice please?

Hi. I am 43 years old and I drink mainly beer, and have done so since I was about 14. I don't feel like I am addicted to alcohol, but I do abuse it. I don't drink every day. I drink 3-4 nights a week on average. I used to drink 6-8 beers each time but have now cut it back to 4-6. I have quit several times, anywhere from a couple of weeks to as long as a year. I do like how drinking makes me feel, while doing it, but I hate how I feel the next day (I'm getting older!). I want to stop for good! Drinking has become a bad habit for me. I think about drinking every day (even though I don't drink every day). My question, or my fear is: What will replace it? I drink mainly when I am with my wife. It helps us get along better (pathetic, I know!). She even agrees with me that I am happier and we communicate better when I drink (she would love it as well, if I quit. She doesn't drink.). When I don't drink, we don't communicate as well and the boredom kills me!

Let me give you an example. Next month, we are planning a trip to Vegas for our anniversary. I am very excited for the trip. I would love to be able to go down there and NOT drink. It sounds so BORING going down there and not drinking though. I know many people can do something like that and have a blast while not drinking. That is what I would love to know how to do! I want to know how to enjoy life without drinking.

I have enjoyed drinking beer for so long now that I don't know how to stop. I know that if I don't stop, my health will suffer and I likely could become physically addicted. I want a happy, fun, alcohol free life! Any advice???

Thanks for reading this!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

First of all, welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by ilovebeer View Post
I don't feel like I am addicted to alcohol,
I loved beer too...for 35 years. Didn't think I was addicted either, till I tried to quit. I didn't love beer, I needed it. Big difference.

If you aren't addicted, you should be able to do 90 days, beer free, without any so called "recovery plan." If you struggle, or fail, reconsider your relationship with beer.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stop drinking it, I love beer too, but I love myself more. I made the decision to quit a week ago. I just challenged myself to stop and so far so.good. Sure it's hard to find things to do at first. I just told myself I don't NEED it. Really it's up to you if your committed or not. This is a great place and I have visited and posted every day for the last week. Hell, my wife doesn't even know I quit, although everyday that goes by might raise the question, but since I wasn't daily either she may just think I'm taking a break. I going to show her and the world that I can find better things to do with my time and money. Do you want to stop? If you do.then do it. You'll find plenty of support here. Good luck on what you.decide.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ILB

I think a lot of us face this - drinking has been part of our lives for so long we find it hard to envisage what might replace it.

There's hundreds of people here that will tell you that you won't lose out on the deal if you give up drinking - things can and do rush in to fill that space in your life

I was always weighed down by my drinking - it consumed my life...with that gone I found a lot more space to be who I always wanted to be.

Not drinking was actually the first step to me being really happy for the first time in my adult life.

best of all for me I discovered I really didn't love beer that much after all - I'd convinced myself I did - but once I saw what I could do without it, I was glad to lay that burden down...

you never know - you might discover the same thing

there's a lot of support here - welcome

D
Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you know that you are ready to stop drinking and pay attention to your health.

I was very afraid to stop drinking because I just feel unable to deal with life and all its ups and downs. I was pleasantly surprised to know that there is indeed life without alcohol. And, yes, you will have to make changes in activities and possibly with friends. But, it will be worth it.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

moderate drinking is 2 beers per 24 hours for a male.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm going ro monitor this thread as it is so relative to my situation. I hope this will attract a lot of replies. This site is so inspirational. Thanx SR.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ilovebeer View Post
I have enjoyed drinking beer for so long now that I don't know how to stop.
I enjoyed it for a long time too...I didn't know how to stop either....It almost killed me. I got some help on learning how to stop....I'd recommend it.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! My drink of choice was wine but I too didn't know how I'd live without it... well, I live without it much better. I can do anything I want and go anywhere I want and don't have to worry about drinking or the aftereffects. I remember everything I do (senior moments aside) and no longer hate myself. I wake up feeling pretty darn good and I like it that way.

I hope you can put the beer down for good. It's not doing you any favors and you'll find life goes on just fine without it.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! So many responses so quickly. I'm kind of blown away! Thank you! I've read your replies and read through several other threads already. I am feeling motivated! Its still hard for me to imagine myself quitting. I have tried and failed so many times in the past. I failed because drinking truly "does something for me". Obviously, I guess it "does something for everybody" otherwise nobody would drink. I just need to find something to take its place. I'll keep reading. Thanks again for the replies!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You know I had that exact feeling...How am I going to live without it?....10 months later I'm saying....How the hell did I live with it?