Notices

Other forms of alcohol.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Other forms of alcohol.

Hello onliners, Today is a great day to be sober.

I have a few questions that I've not been able to get answered anywhere else online definitively so I'm hoping I can get the collective wisdom of SR posters here

What are the other names for alcohol IE in mouthwash/Rescue Remedy/perfume/ moisturizer/ verjuice etc ? And are they the same 'strain' of alcohol? The only one I sort of know is ethylene.

I was in a rehab where no mouthwash was allowed so I'm curious. ALso, early sobriety saw me chuck out lots of cosmetics and skin care lol and wondering whether I jumped the gun :-) And would like to know if verjuice can be substituted for wine in cooking?

Thanks in advance!

Luv, Love.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't laugh. Got this when I googled "alcohol in products we use every day".
It was from a religious page. But who cares? It has the info!

Foods:

1. Alcohol as an ingredient is used in few products but not in all or alcohol is used in processing of some ingredients:

a. In all McDonald's buns in Canada.

b. Vanilla Extract minumum 35% alcohol in USA and Canada

c. Beverage Four contains 4% alcohol

d. Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce up to 3% alcohol

e. Kafir up to 2% alcohol

f. Vanilla flavors contain alcohol

g. Confectionary Glaze or Resinous's glaze is a coating on candy or sprinkle. Confectioner's glazes are alcohol solutions of various type of food grade Shellac. The alcohol is evaporated during application.

h. Shellac is the secretion of Coccus lacca insects deposited on tree in India. Some Shellac are made by alcohol.

i. Nucleotide in baby infant formula is obtained from cells of brewer yeast which is grown on alcohol.

j. Autolyzed Yeast Extract or Yeast Extract is either made from baker yeast which is Halal but used in few food products because it will not provide meaty flavor. But Autolyzed Yeast Extract or Yeast Extract is also obtained from brewer yeast which is used to make bear, alcohol pentrate into yeast cells, after drying they use in food products which provide meaty flavor.

k. Conagra' s Healthy Choice Ice Cream is made with alcohol.

l. Many Cheesecakes are made with real liquor.

m. Tuna casserol made with wine and supplied in different London's hotel restaurants.

n. Dijan Mustard is made with wine.

o. Alcohol present in non stick cooking oil sparay as an ingredient such as Pam's
nonstick cooking spray.

p. FREAKY ICE'S DESERT & ICE CREAM PRODUCTS IN UK, CONTAINING ALCOHOLIC LOLLIES ARE HARAM, SUCH AS:, WHISKY & COLA, RUM & COLA, RUM & COLA .

q. Carr's New Roasty Vegetable Crackers UD a kosher certified cracker is made with pure ALCOHOL/ETHONAL and listed as an ingredient.

r. Left over wine or beer or alcohol in Alcohol Free Beverages.

s. Left over wine, wine flavor, wine color in red or white wine vinegar.

t. Torula yeast is grown either on alcohol or on sugar cane, the one which grown on sugar cane is Halal.

u. Cooking wine is used in many dishes at the restuarants. Grilled fish may use some time cooking wine.

v. Beer Batters fish contains actual beer in its batter.

w. Halal fish is also fried in same oil and same freyer where beer battered fish fried. Becarefull about Fish N Chips in UK.

2. Alcohol is used as a hidden or processing aid ingredient in:

a. Natural or artificial flavor may or may not contain alcohol as a solvent, Krispy Kreme Donuts, Dunkun Donuts, Red Bull, Ritz Crackers in USA/Canada, Butterfinger, 7up, Cream of Wheat, Dr. Pepper, Stoneyfield fruit yogurts, Lucozade and Ribena soft drink, Rubicon Fruit Drink, Ice Cream products contain alcohol.

b. Any Extract may use alcohol as a extracting solvent such as spice extract.

Personal Care Products:

A. Ethyl alcohol is used as hidden or processing aid ingredient in:

1. Flavor: Alcohol may be use as a solvent or carrier in the flavor of toothpastes and other products. Halls Lozenges contain alcohol in flavors, Children Claritin, Chlor Trimeton and Children NY Quil, cough syrups, fluid fever relieving,
Vicks, Product: NY Quil Cough are contain alcohol.

2. Perfumes: Alcohol may be used a solvent or carrier in perfumes in personal care products such as bar soap, shampoo, conditioners, Deodorants. Head On and Active contains alcohol.

2. Specially Denatured Alcohol is used as an ingredient only in personal care products. A specific property of ethanol, its usefulness as a beverage, is removed". The ethanol molecule is not denatured in the sense that its chemical structure is altered. SD alcohol is made from real ethyl alcohol from any source by adding poison chemicals such as acetone, methonal to destroy the intoxication quality of ethyl alcohol. It is consider as Halal because it does not have intoxication quality. This is used only in personal care products.

3. Fatty waxy alcohol are not actual ethyl alcohol and they are only used in personal care products. They are made from either animal or vegetable fat. They are Cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, Lanolin alcohol from sheep wool fat without slaughtering the sheep(Halal), Butyl alcohol.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

But really, chill.
The main thing is no drink. Some people even take wine at communion (I wouldn't).
Some desserts are laced in alcohol.
Some people are ok with wine in cooking, as mostly, the alcohol is burned off.
I personally do not have any alcohol in my house so I wouldn't be cooking with it, but wouldn't mind in a friend's or eating out. Careful with desserts though.
I don't think about it in grooming products and I do use listerine but would buy non alcohol mouthwash as a preference.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some have been driven to drink mouthwash or hand sanitiser so I expect that's why it wasn't allowed in your rehab.

I'm reasonably careful about what I ingest with food etc as the alcohol is not burned off as much as people surmise:

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

but I'm not above using deodorants or ointments etc that may contain alcohol, although I know others do not...

I think some common sense is required sometimes...it's what you're comfortable with and whatever works for you

D
Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Hollyanne,
I'm certainly not going to walk around with a chemistry set in my handbag but I think it's good to know these things for me .
Luv, Love.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for asking this question!

I just had someone tell me I should pitch anything I have (personal hygiene products mostly) that has any form of alcohol in it.
This included any isopropyl (rubbing alcohol ) I had.
I was really bummed as I use rubbing alcohol as a thinning and evaporating agent in one of the hobbies I enjoy.

I would just as soon try to drink it or eat my deodorant as I would run out to the backyard with a teaspoon and eat my flowerbed.

It was one of those suggestions made by someone intending to be helpful as it was something that they did.
However it was strongly suggested as if it was not an option. It is part of the "changing everything".

So far I haven't thrown away my shampoo, cleaning products or anything else.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a helpful post.

I lost my twin brother to alcoholism. At the final stages, he was drinking entire bottles of mouthwash. Talk about an expressway to kidney failure.