Notices

Help, craving....

Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help, craving....

I'm on day 12. For whatever reason, it's always toward the end of week two that things get bad for me. I have a pretty strong will and can muscle through the first week by keeping in motion in anyway I can devise. Then I get to this place I'm in now. I feel swallowed up with needing a drink. My head is exploding.

I did call my sponsor and she called back which I'm grateful. I'm better, but feel incredibly on the edge still. Do any of you have any tools you can share about how you get through these intense moments? The kind where you have to sit on your hands not to reach for anything?

p.s. SR is such a blessing because in the midst of almost walking out the door to buy a bottle of wine which I was then immediately going to guzzle, I thought of you all in cyberspace helping and cheering each other on.

Zorah
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Okay...just try and remember one of the worst times where you had a skinful and woke up feeling depressed, bloated, let down by yourself, hungover, eating crap all day due to your blood sugars going wild, just wanting bedtime to come so you could start the day again..booze did that...watch a film, have a walk, do whatever it takes, caus when the craving has passed and you have managed to get through it without giving in..your gonna feel like the freakin daddy ;-) stay strong. xx
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yay!!!
Good that you fought the urge!!

I battle with this dilemma everyday!!! Im on day 8 of my recovery. I'm definately not an expert, but.... distracting yourself long enough to where you dont even realize the day has passed. I watch movies, make dessert, drink TEA!!! That helps with the anxiety. Do something for your self! Take a bath, try a new hair style, play with your make up.

Hope this helped ...Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SOBERWRLDRCDPOWER

Hang in there. You can do it!!!! Have you thought about going to a meeting? I'm sure you get tired of hearing that but it's a good place to try to focus on something else. I was hooked on alchohol and pain pills when I got clean this last time and I lost everything. I had dysentary on top of withdrawls and I had took a 28 hour bus ride to Florida from Tennessee and I was absolutely miserable. I had nowhere to go and no money. The treatment center I was suppose to go to wouldn't let me in cause I had a 104 temperature. I spent a few days in the hospital thank goodness and then my mom sent me just enough to get a week into a halfway house. I was like you I still felt so miserable. I didn't think about steps or tomorrow or anything else. I just kept saying whatever you do just don't pick up. I went to a meeting everyday and at night I couldn't sleep at all so I spent most of it praying. It's been over 5 years now and I promise if you really want it you can do it. Do whatever you have to. Go for a walk call a friend. Anything to try to keep your mind on other things. All I knew was that I wanted a better way of life and I knew drinking and using were never gonna get any better. I promise there's a wonderful life out there. So keep your head up and keep praying. You can do it!!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

1 days

I can relate after about 10 to 12 days, I seem to cave, the cravings start and I begin to think a little wine (like a bottle or 2 in reality) will be great. Very hard once I get into the feelings, it's like I am on autopilot. So, this time aroung being that I am at day 7, I am checking this website daily, it strengthens my resolve, have confided in a few trusted people. Am researching all avenues of assistance, will try and use what works for me. Glad you didn't buy the wine today.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by zorah View Post
Do any of you have any tools you can share about how you get through these intense moments? The kind where you have to sit on your hands not to reach for anything?
Sometimes sitting on your hands is the only thing you can do, or find some other way to occupy them, a hobby, craft, or recreation.

In my own case, to battle the addictive voice, I had to somehow disengage the brain. Locked in a battle with my own thoughts, the part of me that wanted to stay sober was at a disadvantage.

What worked for me was opening up my journal and writing down something about recovery...be it a list of things I was grateful for, all the stupid stuff I did drunk, all the people I hurt, or I just wrote over and over my vow to quit drinking. Writing, I found, was stronger than the addictive voice.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

this worked for me -
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

it's all about trying to remove myself from the cravings and realising I am not my feelings...I don't have to act a certain way or do anything that I know is going to harm me.

If I want to move forward I have make different decision and take different roads from the ones I've gone down before....

you're not alone Zorah - use the support here...you can do this

D
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

After the sponsor, there are more phone numbers in my phone. Day-time, night-time and Saturday, too (oh, no, an old bank commercial!). Seriously, I stayed on the phone in early recovery, then I did service work for myself (cleaning), anything to distract my self from that thought.

Maybe another meeting? Change everything....write a journal....

You can get through this!