Notices

Like many of you I am back

Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Like many of you I am back

Well, my last 2 attempts to quit were unsuccessful so here I go for a third time. I have seen my doctor and my head shrinker so I hope I am prepared. I have tried AA in the past. It did not work. Once again after quitting for awhile I thought I could control it but that did not work and the wife wants me out unless I quit. We have 2 small children together. No big story about me. Just your average drunk that needs to keep his family together. You people have always been supportive....
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's amazing how us alcoholics think we can control our drinking. It's unbelievable how fast things can spiral out of control from there. My previous attempts I tried to control my drinking to once a weekend, that quickly turned into Friday and Saturday nights, which quickly turned into all weekend and you get the point. Glad you are being a man about it and facing the situation head on to keep your family together, you have a great thing to live for. A lot of people here have already lost their families over this disease.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post
I have tried AA in the past. It did not work.
I always like to ask what you tried....Did you get a sponsor?...Did you work the steps?.....I remember you were talking about going to a meeting.....Never heard from you after that. Glad you're back...And good luck to you.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you, I have had periods of sobriety and began drinking again..It is hard to start over, but, better than the alternative. It takes courage to begin again..Best wishes
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi duke, welcome bk.
3rd time lucky eh?
Hope it works out for u
Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Duke - welcome back

Even if you're sure AA will not work for you, I don't think that's any excuse not to look for other support networks.

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

The key to success is doing something different I think - if we simply try again,without changing anything in our 'programme', it seems to me the results are likely to be the same - that was certainly my experience anyway.

D
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you tried Rational Recovery and AVRT? Maybe worth a go.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm so sorry the steps didn't work for you. AVRT or SMART recovery might help you.

I wish you the best!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

glad yer here, but i think ya got a misconception of AA not working. "it" will work if ya work it and yer worth it so work it! now, check this out: what usually happens when we just "try" something? well, for this ex drunk/druggie, usually unsuccessful results. when i put in the footwork and "do" something, it works.
we only have to not drink for one day and thats today.
there is one common denominator with all who have recovered from the hopeless state of mind that made us drink: we all did it for ourselves. no more doin it for a job, to save a house or a marraige or doin it for the kids. we did for ourselves.
i can guarantee that if ya went back to AA, got a sponsor, do what the big book says to do( did you get a Big Book last time ) and do it one day at a time, you will get sober and stay sober. my sponsor has 28 year of sobriety. all achieved one day at a time.
i have hope for ya and i know you can do it. heck, i did it and i was just your average gutter drunk one step away from suicide 7 years ago.
so, how bad ya want to get and stay sober? would ya stand upside down in the middle of the road and gargle peanut butter if ya had to?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I just joined today so day one for me without oxycodone. This is day one for you too. We can make it through the withdrawals. You are taking the right step forward, and I believe this time you will make it. Keep trying. Don't give up trying. I used to smoke and after several attempts I was able to finally give it up for good. We just have to tell ourselves that their is life after ______________. You feel in the blank with your addiction or addictions.

Work on yourself, get a sponsor, and if AA isn't the answer there is a program I see on tv that is in Malibu that doesn't use AA. The little I know about AA came from a friend of my dad. At my dad's memoral service after he died he wanted to speak and I said ok. He talked about how when he was addicted to booze that everyone left him but my dad, who stayed a good friend and encouraged him and was proud that AA changed his life. He had been sobor for many years, was happilly married, and kept going to meetings. He was a Brit like my dad and he overcame. We can too. We just have to keep trying and pick ourselves up, which is what you are doing.

Just the short time I have been on this forum, I believe it will help us make it through to success. 3rd time is the charm Duke. I know the friend of my dad loved this prayer. I hope you will be blessed Duke as it is blessing me today and my desire to stop and be clean.

God grant me the serentiy to accept the things I cannot change. Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.

God Bless

Love and Blessings
Chrisy
Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I remember you Duke. This can be the very last time you have to go through this. I tried dozens of times, but the last time 'took' & I have over 4 yrs. sober. You can have the life you want and deserve - never give up.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm here with you Duke. I thought I could control my drinking and over the past few weeks I've tried that road. It eventually got to be more and more and this weekend I pretty much drank away. I stayed home from work today and stayed in bed all day and I know if I don't beat this it's going to kill me.

It's day one again for me and I'm feeling really depressed but I know if I can hang in there the depression will get better. It's back to some meetings and I also bought the AVRT book. Something has GOT to work!!

And good luck to you. Having a family is well worth fighting the hell of this disease!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! Glad you're giving it another go. Hope this is your last time. It's worth it. I quit for good over two years ago and never have I felt better. Give it your all - you're worth it.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have lost a lot from being an alcoholic, and yet I still drink
I pray you make it this time. Losing your children would be more devastating than you know. Do it for your family.
May God bless you in your sobriety.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nextchapter View Post

Something has GOT to work!!
Meetings help...The steps work....This hopeless alcoholic is living proof.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went to 4 AA meetings. I do have the big book and my little coin they gave me. Maybe I will go back to a meeting. Not sure. Right now I just signed up for a bunch of stuff. Coach flag football, Cub Scout leader, Girls softball. Got to keep myself busy so I don't think about drinking. If I lose my family and end up on my own I know I will not make it. I need to surround myself with them.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good luck to you Duke...Sounds like you have a plate full.