Notices

How did I not see earlier what a problem this was?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did I not see earlier what a problem this was?

I just did a search in my email archive for the word "drinking." I was curious to see how many attempts I'd made to cut my drinking down, or moderate it, or take a break in the past. I only made one REAL attempt to stay sober before now (which lasted 8 months), but I wanted to see how many other promises I'd made and broken to myself in the attempt to "moderate" my drinking.

The emails to my husband and to myself over the past five years are so illuminating. They span from 1/31/07 to the present day. 1/31/07!!

Over those five years, I counted no less than 20 separate attempts to moderate my drinking. I tried so many different ways: taking a break for a week or two; making "contracts" to myself that explained in great detail when I could and couldn't drink; limiting myself to 2 drinks only; not drinking in a certain bar; not drinking alone; not going out for drinks after dinner if I'd already had drinks with dinner; and on and on and on and on and on.

I'm mad at myself for not getting it together sooner but this was also a great exercise for me to do. If I didn't see it before, I surely do see it now that NOTHING I try to moderate my drinking is ever going to work. The thing that I stuck with the longest? ABSTINENCE. I made it 8 months sober -- NONE of my attempts to moderate ever lasted that long.

So that's my strategy from now on. No more of this merry go round.

Day 10
Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is off of page 31 of the Big Book first edition of AA...See if it rings a bell.

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums - we could increase the list ad infinitum.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
This is off of page 31 of the Big Book first edition of AA...See if it rings a bell.

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums - we could increase the list ad infinitum.
yes it certainly does. I need to read some more of that book. I've started it but I'm not very far yet.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

Sounds like you've done adequate prep work. "Drink only natural wimes..." Hee hee.

I've found some great people here to talk with. Abstinence is the only strategy that works for me, also. One way or another, I'll somehow end up with a bottle of vodka chilling in my freezer and that's no way to live.

Surrender to win.

Best wishes.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
AVRT may interest you SBTS. Check out the thread in the secular section. You ate absolutely right. Permanent abstinence is the only cure for addiction.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I bet I could beat you on the 07 front I think I've been trying to 'moderate' since 1998! Unfortunately I have no evidence apart from my own rather sketchy memory. This is the first time I've tried abstinence.

Well done Soberbythesea x