Notices

Reasons, Excuses, Justifications

Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reasons, Excuses, Justifications

I'm wondering how people have justified or made excuses for their drinking in the past? And how to pick apart these excuses. I have a few of my own examples:

I'm a student, drinking is what students do! - Its not an obligation, nobody forces it on us, and not all students even drink. Getting a bit tipsy and blacking out are two different things.

It's only a bit of fun! - Starting fights, passing out, putting yourself in vulnerable situations, ruining your health and being incredibly hungover is NOT fun!

Well, your only young once, might as well enjoy it! - Enjoy what exactly? Waking up in a wet bed covered in bruises?

I'm not harming anyone! - Apart from my friends when I called them all names, and my boyfriend when I told him things I don't mean. And that person I punched last night........ etc........

Who really cares though? It's my life! - My friends care when they have to get out of bed to come pick me up when I've passed out in a bar at 3 am!!

I could go on. What have you told yourself in the past in order to justify your drinking habits?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I'm single, don't have kids, don't get in trouble, don't drink and drive, do well at my job, so what am I hurting? Those are the excuses I used for years.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sunandrain View Post
What have you told yourself in the past in order to justify your drinking habits?
That I didn't have a problem. And when I realized I did have a problem, I told myself I could control my drinking.

And when I couldn't control my drinking I told myself I would quit....

...real soon.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I'm never drinking again!"

Countless times I've said that...
Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lots of people drink far more than me, it's not like I even get drunk
Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With all the stress in my life, it's no wonder I drink. I can't cope without it. I never drank before 5, didn't need a drink in the morning, don't have DTs, never got a DUI. Etc so I can't be alcoholic.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't drink before 5 (well, not usually); never had a DUI (of course, I don't drive); never been fired from a job as a direct result of my drinking; currently don't need to wake up early in the morning to do anything, so why not drink all night?; all my friends and family do it; etc.

Eventually I started to realize that, regardless of all these things being true, I was drinking far more than would ever be considered physically healthy for anyone. I wasn't sleeping well. And while most of the time I could get drunk and still behave fine, a couple of times I really lost control, becoming mean and abusive, or falling down.

That was when I decided to stop.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by sunandrain View Post
Waking up in a wet bed covered in bruises
Was a common event for me last summer. I tell myself now that at least I am drinking less now.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I am retired and have plenty to do at home, don't drink and drive, so I can move my beer time to 12 noon. Aww scotch really tastes good in my morning coffee, and takes away the edge too!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I work hard, so deserve the relaese of drinking..although after a days work and com ing home to my kids and hubby..that should be my reward, not caing wine and beer!! Ive told myself all kinds of BS that has justified me drinking, but i always knew deep deep down, even if i didnt want to admit it, that i was making pathetic excuses to justify my appauling habbit!!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never even tried to justify my drinking. In my mind, I drank because I "wanted" to. Now I realize that I drank (and did drugs) because I couldn't deal with life on life's terms.

It's really that simple.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

A little out-of-the-box relative to the orig. post but the scariest justification was when there wasn't any at all..... Being totally at ease, not angry/happy/or anything "special," knowing I'm not going to drink today and being thankful that I won't........then, a couple hours later, noticing I just poured a drink and, for NO reason at all, just saying F-it and slamming half of it.

"F-it" became known to me as one of my red flags for upcoming insanity....... lol
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I work hard in a stressful job and need to unwind...I've had a bad day...I've had a good day...I can't sleep without it...I had a difficult childhood...I earn enough to afford it, why not?...I'm happier after a few...my workload is too much and I'm stressed...too much responsibility at work...too little responsibility at work and should be promoted........

I drank because I am addicted. End of story!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ditto what Squzz said.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I only drink at home, so I'm not hurting anyone or at risk of hurting anyone ie. drunk driving.