Notices

Accepting...

Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accepting...

Hello everyone. I am a 28 year old male who is just now realizing that I have a problem. I started drinking back when I was 15 and have drank steadily since then. It started socially Partying on the weekends with friends. This binge drinking lasted through college. Never thought I had a problem. It was just what we all did...everybody drank and had house parties or went to the bar. Looking back I was always getting hammered out of my mind and would be able shake it off the next day. However, in recent years the hangovers have become horrible. I'm not even sure where I'm going with this post other than acknowledging the fact that I have a problem. I cannot control myself once I've had a drink...that drink turns into 5...then eventually a 750ml bottle of vodka is gone and the only reason I stop is I pass out. I experience black outs all the time. My friends bring up events that happened the previous night and I have no memory at all of what they speak of. I seldom drink alone and I usually start in the evening. Been pulled over by the police about 6 times while drunk and have been let go each time. I've been extremely lucky but dumb enough to drink and drive again. This I realize cannot go on. Last year I was on a bender and got behind the wheel and fell asleep only to awaken as my car side swiped the guard rail on the highway and blew a tire out. Called the highway assistance because I was too drunk to figure out how to replace my tire (something I've done sober).
Physically I am in good shape because I work out all the time and eat a whole food diet. However when I get drunk I eat all the crap that I avoid like the plague when sober. The guilt after all this consumes me
I also feel like I dont know who I really am. Pretty sad at 28 years old. I have a bit of social anxiety and drinking takes it away. Enabled to speak freely and stop caring what people think of me. however when I am sober and overcome with guilt my anxiety is even worse. It feels like there is 2 different personalities at constant war with each other. Well I've rambled enough for now. If anyone has read through this hangover dazed post I thank you for listening. I have told myself I want to commit to 30 days sober at leAst to start and see how I feel at the end. Never lasted that long since I started the booze at 15. I wish you all well and the strength to overcome.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR TheDarkness...I can only tell you from experience...It doesn't get better. I hope you look into some kind of recovery program...This is a great site for support.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

Welcome Darkness
You may feel alone, but what you said is certainly similar to me. I drank too much, tried to control it, and couldnt
You say to stop for 30 days, why not try for 3 months or longer, then you may see how dependent or not you are on it

You may also find you prefer life without it.

People said that to me, when I joined, didnt believe them

Do now
Good luck
Billy
Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR TheDarkness

I reckon that you'll gain a lot of perspective in those 30 days, it's a great idea. you'll get lot's of support here x
Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

30 days is long enough to feel better and think you don't have a problem. Try at least 90 days or even 180. That is when the real changes start to occur and the clarity arrives. We damage our bodies and don't realize it as that damage won't show up for many more years.

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Darkness, you'll find a lot of support here. These guys are right, it doesn't get any better, drinking like we do/did only leads in one direction. Well done on recognizing that and coming here!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3
Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm 28 too and have just done 4 weeks sober! It's been great - you can do it - and keep going one day at a time. My aim is to be sober for life. Good luck and stay with us here - loads of support!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much. It is comforting knowing so many others share the same thoughts.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Darkness, glad you posted. Beginning to read and post on here has been the difference between me drinking or not. I'm only on Day 15 but I have quit drinking for good. When I say to myself, 30 days, 90 days etc I know that I'm just setting myself up to drink again as it's easier to drink even after 28 days or whatever as I've already allowed the future to include drinking. 'What's the difference if I start 2 days earlier?' is the logic there. I cannot drink in moderation, I know I'm an all or nothing person, so now it's gotta be nothing. Anyways each to their own, but I recommend either way you continue on SR, I've had so much support and learned so much in my short (but precious to me!) time here. You will too if you want it. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome friend! Here's a little cliche from the 80's : "Knowing IS half the battle!" -- it's so good to come clean with yourself and realize how drinking affects your life! 30 days without drinking is a great idea! In my experience getting other people involved in your quest will help greatly! Take care and I hope to read more from you soon!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hiya...I can really identify with your first post. I am pretty much the female version of you haha! You have come to the right place. I am only on day 11, but already I am beginning to see that not drinking allows you to focus on the issues that really need to be dealt with. Before, I was constantly numbing my emotions and pushing everything away. Now I am open to hear these issues. Quitting alcohol is the necessary step to take if you want to progress in life.

Goodluck.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi!

Everything that you've mentioned hits home. Anxiety, driving drunk, crashing! getting pulled over!! blacking out any time im near a bottle. Letting my alter ego take over and ignore right from wrong. That's the worse, when you actually know that the little guy inside you is calling the shots and not you. Good thing is that you are acknowledging that you have a problem. The fact that it happens almost everytime is the issue. Binge drinking is my downfall as well. 1 is never enough and 2 turns into the whole damn bottle.

Anyway, you are not alone. In any situation that you encounter a time limit will not fix your issue. Because if your like me, your going to face a revolving door, its better to not take the first sip.

Who says sober people aren't kool too!?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Darkness....you are never alone with this program (or this site)....we have all been there before. Good to stop now before something really serious occurs...Good Luck...one day at a time!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR The Darkness

D