Notices

New and unsure

Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and unsure

Well, I'm new to this whole recovery thing and I'm not really sure if this is actually where I need to be but I know I have an issue and I want to deal with it so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm in my mid thirties and I would classify myself as having a binge drinking problem. I do not drink often, but when I do I most always drink extremely fast and before I know it i am completely trashed and blackout drunk. Here is the real kicker....I absolutely hate being drunk. I do not start drinking with the intention on getting drunk. I will admit when I was younger I certainly did, but now I can't stand the feeling of being drunk!! I don't generally drink liquor but I love beer. The big problem is that I love the taste of beer and that is what makes it so hard to just stop altogether. I have found at least one non alcoholic brand of beer that I really enjoy but it is not available everywhere.

I am involved w a group in which a lot of times involves a great deal of beer drinking. As much as I would like to say I could just walk away from this group and solve my problem that is not really an option as I am in charge of them and greatly enjoy the activities of our group. If I were to tell the members of this group that I was not drinking anymore, they would be more than supportive, but again I love the taste of beer and I end up drinking when I am with them and before I know it, I am drunk!

While this does not happen often, it does cause problems for me at home when it does. My significant other comes from a family with an alcoholic parent and it really bothers him to see me like this. He does drink, but he does not have the issue that I do. He is able to just have a couple and stop whereas I cannot. I know this causes a major strain on our relationship when it happpens.

I'm not sure what direction to go bc like I said, I do not like to get drunk and could honestly go the rest of my life w/o it. But my issue is being able to give up something that I really do simply enjoy the taste of. If it were always available, I could just drink the non alcoholic brand I have found that I actually enjoy, but most times when at events or out somewhere it is not.

Idk, maybe my issue seems silly compared to what some people deal with but it is something I want to be able to deal with and stop having cause problems for me.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamabella View Post
He is able to just have a couple and stop whereas I cannot.
Welcome mamabella....That could be a problem...As far as drinking because you like the taste goes...I like the taste of ginger ale now...But I don't drink three six packs of it a day. If you think alcohol is creating problems in your life...It might be a good time to look for a solution to that problem....This is a progressive disease...Meaning....It gets worse...Never better.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are here....I'm an alcoholic...I had to stop for good. You'll find some great support here.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Your post sounds kind of contradictory to me.

You don't like being drunk, but you drink so much beer because of the taste, it makes you drunk. There are thousands of non-alcoholic drinks out there and I'm sure you could find one that you really like the taste of.

Stopping drinking is never easy and for most of us, it involves making big changes in our lives such as friends and activities. I hope you decide to stop drinking, and if you do, we are here to offer support.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can go weeks at a time where I don't think or care about drinking but when a situation arises that I do drink it ends up causing problems. Stopping altogether is probably the only viable option but for some reason that's what I seem to have trouble with doing and that's why I need the help
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in AA and I have a friend who was a binge drinker...I never understood that as I drank daily for 35 years...The last five were misery and the last two almost killed me. I asked him about binge drinking...And he told me that...Like you...He could go weeks without a problem and then get drunk for three days straight...The problem for him was the binges kept getting closer and closer together...He had to stop for good...And has for 23 years....It's something to consider.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, that is correct....I DO NOT like being drunk....and on occasions when I do start to drink, I do not intend to get drunk....problem is once I get started I cannot seem to stop.

Also, I am aware of the non alcoholic beers and as I stated have found one that I enjoy - the rest taste Horrible. However, they are not always available especially not when you are out somewhere. To find a decent tasting one you have to go to a fairly large grocery which is not always an option.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My occurrences have actually gotten farther apart since I have started to recognize them as an issue so hopfully that is a good sign. Also I don't usually do the multiple day benders....its just a one night thing and then it will be weeks before it happens again....
Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can go weeks at a time where I don't think or care about drinking but when a situation arises that I do drink it ends up causing problems. Stopping altogether is probably the only viable option but for some reason that's what I seem to have trouble with doing and that's why I need the help
Maybe try consciously drinking a glass of water between beers. I'm an alcoholic so I wouldn't do that once I started drinking the beer (or wine for me). I may have said I would do that before I started drinking, but in reality that would never happen.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's pretty simple really. If you don't think you have a problem with it. Try stopping for 90 days...If everything is fine...You should be in good shape and be able to continue drinking safely. If you can't...And become irritable, restless and discontented...You might want to address it.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR mamabella

I find comparing the taste thing to smoking helped. If you like smoking why don't those herbal cigarettes taste nice? (because there's no nicotine). If you like beer why doesn't the non alcohol beer taste nice? Don't kid yourself...it's the alcohol you want. You may not know it but it's true.

I too do not like being drunk...I never have. I just drank because I liked the taste/it is sociable etc. But I continued to drink until the negatives well and truly outdid any perceived benefit. If it is just a matter of liking the taste then have one or two then stop but If having one you cannot stop...it may be a case that you have a major problem that can only be solved by abstinence. For which you will find a lot of help and support here x
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like I said....there is one non alcoholic beer that I really really like, and if I could find that everywhere it would be a non issue....but again, I can only find it in certain places. Like regular beer, they all have a different taste and there are many regular beers that I do not like the taste of. It just so happens that those regular beers I don't like are also the ones who make the non alcoholic ones I do not like!! The one I have found that I do like is made be the company that makes my faborote beers....so it is about the taste....
Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Let me ask you...When you get together with that group that likes to drink a lot...And all they had was a beer that you didn't like the taste of...Would you drink it?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So can you just have a couple of those beers you like then? x
Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not going to drink something that I don't like the taste of....so no I wouldn't.

And as far as just having a couple regular beers that I like.....that's the whole problem is I cannot stop once I start.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If I am drinking the non alcoholic beer that I like its not really an issue if I just keep drinking them cuz I don't have to worry about getting drunk.

I am aware that it is the alcohol that makes me unable to stop once I start....that is why I am here in a forum for people w alcohol problems......I have a problem, I am not denying that in anyway!!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey there, welcome! Let's switch this to food for a second...

I am on a diet (low-calorie, low-fat and I watch my portions) SO when I get invited out to restaurants I have to do some research: menu options, can I eat before hand, or maybe suggest another place, etc.

So when I choose to go out to eat, I have a gameplan and it is my choice to stick within the guidelines of my chosen way of eating or if I can splurge cause I allotted for the calories.

Life is all about choices. Now if I gained 10lbs in a month due to eating out and eating whatever I wanted, the only person that is responsible for that is me.

Just my take on things
Old 04-29-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am aware that it is the alcohol that makes me unable to stop once I start....that is why I am here in a forum for people w alcohol problems......I have a problem, I am not denying that in anyway!!
That's great..it sometimes takes a long time for people to accept that. So what do you want to do now? Do you want to quit drinking? x
Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm not going to drink something that I don't like the taste of....so no I wouldn't.

And as far as just having a couple regular beers that I like.....that's the whole problem is I cannot stop once I start.
I'll have to take your word on that...I drank to get drunk...Whether I wanted to or not....Because like you...Once I started I couldn't stop....That may not be a problem for you...It almost killed me. Good luck on whetever you decide to do....I will say...It's a lot harder to solve a problem if you don't know that there is a problem there to begin with.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Im not blaming my problem on anyone but me. I think I am obviously not I'm the right place and will just have to figure it out on my own