Notices

Starting my journey to a drug free life!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting my journey to a drug free life!

Hello everyone! I have been on hydrocodone10/500 4 times a day and xanax 1mg 2x day for 9 years. As everyone knows after awhile the meds do not work as well as the did when you started them, so I began to take more than the perscribed does. I was put on hydros after I had ganegrene and the flesh eating disease in my groin area on the left side. After several surgeries and debridements I was left with very little muscle in my left groin area which causes severe pain. I have also had two heart attacks and gone through a terrible divorce. Recently, the pharmacy filled my scripts early a couple of times, which I thought was great; however now since it is not time to have them refilled, the doctor will not call them in until June. I decided that it would be a good time to stop. I have read several posts about the withdrawl symptoms and it scares the crap out of me. With all that being said today is going to be my first day without either meds. I already feel anxious and extremly tired. I have no choice but to quit. Any advice would be wonderful. I do not want nor can I afford to go to a rehab center, so I am hoping this site will help. I am a nanny for twin 22 month old girls and I am so afraid that I am not going to have the energy to keep up with them. I long for the day when I can say that I feel great and am not taking any meds to feel this way.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chellster

Welcome

I'm not familiar with the drugs you mention but if you feel you need medical supervision many parts of the US now have free or low cost clinics
Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

and there is always the ER if you feel concerned

You'll find a lot of support here too - we also have a substance abuse forum you might like to check out as well

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse

D
Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 I don't know much about pills but the substance abuse forum has lots of info. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support and understanding here.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not doing well at all. This is only the first day without xanax or hydrocodone and I feel like I could crawl out of my skin, I am shaky, nauseaeted, diarehha, and just feel totally wiped out. How long can I expect to feel this way?>> I can't go to the doctir because it is not time to get refills and plus I really want of this stuff, It is pathetic when your life revolves around pills. Always counting them, making sure you have enough to last etc.......I am sick of it....someone please help
Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's going to take some time Chellster, and it's going to be tough to get through. We have all gone through some really tough detoxing so know that you are not alone. I got tired of being totally dependent on pills too.

If you can somehow swing it, I would seek medical attention to help you get through this. If you could get into a detox that would be great. Try to find support from others like you are here on this website.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chellster, its mainly the xanax that concerns me and convinces me you may need to seek medical help. coming off benzos can be life threatening! Be watchful and be ready to ask for help (as in going to an ER) if you need to.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Did you tell your doctor your plans?

Going cold turkey is not going to be something fun. If you research how those drugs effect your body in general, then search about cold turkey withdrawal, you'll find out that all of your nerves will be going a bit crazy.....

Talk with that prescribing doctor and work out a proper plan for getting off of these.

I wish you recovery.
Love & hugs,
Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I dont think I can talk to my doctor because I have been taking to many and the pharmacy has refilled them early for me and now I am stuck.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Does anyone on here help you? I am really having a hard time right now. My skin is crawling and I feel like I am going crazy!!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

That is part of withdrawal from pills. We can't give medical advice. So, you are normal in your withdrawal, hun.

Taking too many or not, this is a medical situation. A proper plan of withdrawal is what was called for here.

What help are you really looking for? I applaud your efforts to stop taking pills, but honestly, there isn't anything we can help with other than encouragement.

Try scrolling down and look in the narcotics forum or another forum for more information on pill withdrawal. So sorry you are enduring this. I don't know what else to say, but you have a week now and that is good.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just dont think I am going to be able to make it another day. I have already had two heart attacks. I had one in 05 and another one last year. I am not sure my heart can take it. I do not have any insurance which stinks. I do not think my doctor will give me anything................I want it to end!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just hang in there. We all know its hard to go through the withdrawls. We all are here for you.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Detox from pain pills is shear hell. But once its over and it dose get better, you can start to work a program of recovery so you don't have to go through this absolutely miserable experience again.

You can call your pharmacist for informant about what safe OTC (over the counter) products that may ease the withdraw symptoms.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have made a poster :

ANO
YF

Alcohol NO
Yes Freedom

And for anxiety i am taking infusions.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dear Chellster: Please google the ashton manual. You need to get off the xanax VERY slowly, it is very dangerous. Don't try to go cold turkey! There is a website called benzobuddies also that can help you with taper plans. They advise switching to valium..that is how I did it. Take care...I feel your pain...been there, done that...one of the worst experiences of my life.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Believe me I was Exactly where you are 16 days ago!!!! I felt like hell and literally thought I would die from wds! I made it and so will you! I am also in Indiana. Pm if you need an ear
Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

talk to your doctor, i went through the same thing, they understand. The zanax is bad to go cold turkey. I cant express enough to talk to your doc and be honest. You will be surprised on how understaning they are.

Therapeutic adddiction is what they call it when you get addicted to your medications that was started by use in therapy.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I FAILED! I called my doctor's office and it seems like one of my refills disappeared. He called me in medicine yesterday. He was worried about me being off the xanax the most because of my heart problems. I started taking them again yesterday. I am just hoping that I do not abusse them this time. I feel like a failure. I was smoking weed to help with the withdrawls..but the med is so much better. I am disappointed in myself. What now??????
Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Does your Dr know now that you abused the xanax before Chellster?

D
Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you are honest with your dr about what is going on.