Notices

Questions about beginning

Old 04-27-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about beginning

Okay, so I'm reading, and I'm listening to the stories here and I'm curious about what to expect from an AA meeting? What does it mean when they are listed as, Closed discussion or Open speaker and so on? Do I sign in when I get there or just go in and listen? Do I have to talk? There is one near me that I can get to on Sunday so I'm going to muster all the courage I can find and check it out.

Another question, several people have told me I should see my doctor and I don't want to. I stopped drinking for four days just last month so I don't really think I'm in any real danger. I don't want to go on Campral or anything like it, it didn't work before and it's too expensive. I'm using some homeopathic remedies for the anxiety and I do have a beta blocker for severe anxiety. I guess I just want to know how long there is a serious risk if I don't see a doctor? If I make it the first week am I in the clear?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everything you need to know...Any other questioins you have...Fire away..

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As far as a doctor goes...It's not a bad idea to do it...Tell him what your plans are and get the OK...Just for peace of mind.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Another question, several people have told me I should see my doctor and I don't want to. I stopped drinking for four days just last month so I don't really think I'm in any real danger. I don't want to go on Campral or anything like it, it didn't work before and it's too expensive. I'm using some homeopathic remedies for the anxiety and I do have a beta blocker for severe anxiety. I guess I just want to know how long there is a serious risk if I don't see a doctor? If I make it the first week am I in the clear?
I'll share my story...over 20 years I detoxed at home, alone, with out apparent ill effect - the last time tho... I suffered several mini strokes...I'll have to live with the effects of that for the rest of my life.

It's your call, but from my perspective now, I just can't understand why people won't go and see a Dr, to be safe.

D
Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Congrats on the decision to go. If you see a doctor is your decision. Best to be safe in my opinion.

Not sure if saplings site answers the other questions so I will. There is no sign in. “Open” means anyone can attend. “Closed” means attendance is limited to those who have a desire not to drink. “Discussion” means just that (with no requirement for you to talk). "Speaker" means a majority of the time just 1 person will speak for the main part of the meeting (still no requirement for you to speak).

Often they will start with introductions. People will go around the room and say “My name is ‘Bill’ and I’m an alcoholic”. Just say “my name is ..... and I have a desire not to drink” (I know you don’t like the A word). I would highly recommend that you say it’s your first meeting with your intro. Please let us know how your first meeting goes. If you’re not happy with AA in a few weeks let me know and I’ll gladly refund your misery.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That site covers it soup to nuts...I wish I'd seen it when I went to my first meeting.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

No need to sign in at an anonymous meeting. There is no keeping track of anyone.
Search: aa pittsburgh pa

We have a 12 step forum for alcoholism when you scroll down from the newcomer's forum!

Glad you are here at SR!