Notices

Random Sober Positives!!!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Random Sober Positives!!!

Was thinking today about some of the positives i have already noticed through not drinking. Know this may seem weird, but in the mornings my fingers would always feel kinda dry after drinkin the night before..hard to explain. My skin is already feeling and looking great and my eyes seem brighter. Bit random, but what positives have you all noticed, no matter how random, maybe this will be a good post to remind ourselves of why gettin sober is not only good for our physical health, but also our mental, emotional health and our moral :-) also noticed my work clothes seem loser, im only 9 st and 5 7" so luckily never piled on the timber through drinking but wont complain at a little weight loss...especially with the summer coming up :-) P.S i stocked up on all the delish herbal teas by twinings..found drinking all this tea is making sleep a little difficult so theres a little tip for you all. xxx
Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

great stuff L

my greatest positive is being able to be 'there'...

I don't have to worry about surprise phone calls or knocks on the door anymore...

D
Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would say no more adding up the hours I have left until I have to be up for work for one. Too many to list right now, tball game in one hour.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OMG...yes that is one i remember well dscottnmel, and even if you were lucky enough to have a few hours, that would be spent tossing and turning, gettin up for water and having random unsettling dreams...bad times hey!!! xx
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And you never managed the time as planned because you just tell yourself "I'll make it through tomorrow one way or another"
Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 6 but I notice my lips, usually extremely chapped when I am drinking, are now soft and smooth. I also love the feeling of waking up fresh and full of energy in the morning!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Seasidegirl the daily practice of gratitude as really helped me in recovery. There is a dedicated thread section for the practice you are describing called "gratitude threads" (or words to that effect. Go back to the main menu and it is a few down from the Newcomers section. Hope to see you there.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Seasidegirl the daily practice of gratitude as really helped me in recovery. There is a dedicated thread section for the practice you are describing called "gratitude threads" (or words to that effect. Go back to the main menu and it is a few down from the Newcomers section. Hope to see you there.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey want, yeah i know what you mean about waking up feeling fresh, that has to be the best feeling in the world :-) thanks instant and dscottnmel im with you on that..if i had a £ for every day at work i scraped through hanging from the night before..id be a very rich girl!!! xxx
Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm definitely noticing a change in my skin already. Day 8 now...first couple of days after my last binge were bad skin wise...some spots and redness around my chin (always have crappy skin). But now starting to clear and feeling softer. Could also be connected to the fact I have been to the gym 4 times this week!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Getting out of bed in the morning is easier to do sober.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Most recently...I was talking to my 15 year old son- making eye contact..and realized how many times I used to not make eye contact cause I was drinking...like that would hide anything.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One random thing is that my singing voice is much better, clearer I guess. I just sing in my church choir but it feels good because I love to sing. I just thought I was getting older.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not feeling inconvienienced by other things that get in the way of drinking, like our son's baseball practice, wife wanting to get out of the house. And though I went out and got it done it was such a resentful labor because it was getting in my way. Then after my "chores" were done I get this sense of entitlement to drink. Can't wait for tomorrow, sons baseball game, friends sons baseball game, then instead of Saturday beer thirty, Saturday nice church service. Lots of plans minus one. Good night all, be strong and keep challenging ourselves.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I think I've become a lot more responsible in general. Definitely a lot more reliable. I actually return phone calls -- and actually answer my phone when it rings.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There are so many positives I could share...here are a just a couple.

My skin doesn't look splotchy and craptastic anymore. Booze would bloat the heck out of me.
I also don't wake up with a hangover and a face full of makeup! I have the time to take care of my skin and wash all the makeup off before bed.
I can read a book now and actually remember what it is that I read.
I can remember eating dinner (usually when drinking I would eat really late and by that time was seriously intoxicated).
Overall - in general - I am taking better care of myself, doing the chores that need to be done and not left for a week or two and like Dee said I am now able to be 'here' - in the moment.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Not waking up in a wet bed (and quickly realizing it's not just my sweat.)
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not having to figure out what someone is talking about the next day. Except for those that know me well, people often didn't realize how drunk I was (up to a point). Apparently, I would make a lot of plans do do things with people because they sounded like a great idea at the time.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Random positives in sobriety.

I love and am grateful for...............*being able to buy expensive white sheets for my bed- no passing out and no hangover and no eating/tv watching/ smoking in bed so pristine white sheets are divine. *way less anxiety.
*burns/cuts on my hands from cooking when I was drunk are gone!.
*being able to listen to my body, and respond appropriately! * subtle calmness infuses my days * Knowing that there is no such thing as 'my lot in life'- I am no longer resigned to thinking that there is no hope. * Having hope
*the frantic desperation that ruled my days and defined me is gone *when I get health insurance it will be cheaper *way less random physical bruising from unknown sources! *being able to buy lovely glassware and crockery knowing that if it breaks/smashes it truly WILL be an accident! *no longer being scared that my brain will turn into mush is a fantastic change *clearer skin * feeling genuine astonishment and love at what I used to take for granted; sunsets, flowers, landscapes,my natural world . *not having to lie anymore is great! *not being scared of the neighbours/ letterbox/ phone *no drunk emails/ phone calls! (so cringe inducing lol)
*when I take my shopping out of the car I don't have to hide the clanking of bottles any more! * knowing that I am responsible for a very precious gift and treasuring & nurturing it- me! *having a second chance in life.

Luv, N.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Find our ability to be completely honest really inspiring, all what you have shared is so familiar, especially making plans as they sound such a goos idea when steaming, eating late at night when slaughtered, appreciating the little things that i was usually to hanging or wasted to even notice!

dscottnmel- what you say about the inconvenience of the chores you had to do before cracking open that first can is so familiar and like you say you almost felt youd earnt it!

Bayliss- i agree, im really enjoying taking pride in my appearance again, i actually thought i still did when i was drinking, i now realise shovelling booze and cr*p food down my neck at midnight and lack of sleep, skipping meals in the day was not taking care of myself!!!

Well its saturday morning..and i feel GREAT :-)) enjoy your saturday everybody. xxxxx