Notices

So what happens?

Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So what happens?

Hi,
So I'm coming up to 6 weeks sober this weekend. I mentioned in previous posts that my main concern is becoming too confident in my own self will and then falling off the wagon. Based on that I'm considering going to a local AA meeting tonight for the first time. I guess this question has been asked a thousand times already, but can you please give me some idea of what to expect at the meeting? I guess i'd feel more comfortable going if I heard from others what their first time was like.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So it goes

You will be welcomed
You will meet a lot of normal people just like you, who just happen to have a problem with alcohol
Just like you
First time I went, I was scared, but sat down and felt at home
Old 04-27-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first time I went to an AA meeting I slunk in and sat down the back about 10 mins early. The chair called the meeting to order smack on time and then called on people in the audience to share their 'experience, strength and hope'. If I got called on in my first few meetings, I just said no thanks.

Some meetings have a greeter and they might ask your first name when you come in, espeically if they haven't seen you around before.

Some meetings might be 'topic' meetings, in which a paragraph or so is read out of one of the pieces of AA literature and then people share their thoughts on what was read out when asked.

Quite honestly I was very intimidated and freaked out the first few times but I kept hearing my story or things I really related to so I knew I was in the right place.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, AA is about being around people who have had the same problems and are trying to beat the same disease I have. It means I don't isolate myself when I know there are other folks feeling the same things.

Don't wig out if someone comes up to you and shakes your hand. They're just doing the natural thing to make you feel welcome. The chair will ask if there are visitors or newcomers who want to introduce themselves by first name only. You can, if you want to, but you don;t have to.

Some groups call on a newcomer to share. You're free to say, "I'll pass", if you'd rather not.

You'll learn a lot about how the meeting works by sitting back and listening and, if your experience is like mine, you'll feel good even if you don't speak.

Halfway through the meeting, they'll pass a basket and most folks drop in a dollar. This pays the rent, buys the coffee, pays for the publications, etc.

Around here, meetings end with everyone holding hands and reciting wither the Lord's Prayer or The Serenity Prayer.
Then you can hang around for the "meeting after the meeting", and shoot the breeze or you can leave.

Look online for different kinds of meetings. There's open, for everyone, and closed, for people with a desire to stop drinking, speaker meetings, meetings where the Big Book is read, meetings where the book Sober Living is read, men's meetings, women's meetings, LBGT meetings. Almost anything to suit your needs.

Best wishes on your journey. I hope you find it as fulfilling as I do.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Congratulations on the 6 weeks. 1st time I was nervous but decided to participate. Been sober 1 year 10 months. AA is one an important reason way.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is what happens:

THE A.A. PROMISES
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.
We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear.
We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
Self-seeking will slip away.
Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

welcome to the fellowship alfie
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We learn to be humble and practice humility
to stay grounded and not become better than
another or become a big shot or a no it all.

Even today with 21 yrs sobriety, i'm not set
on a pedastel higher than anyone else because
all I have is today to be sober. Yesterday is gone
and tomorrow isnt here yet.

Getting out of my self and focus on being kind,
considerate and honest with others and practicing
the steps and principles in all my affairs will
allow me to stay sober one more day.

I enjoy traveling this road of recovery along
side many others seeking happiness, joy and
freedom from our addiction.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 6 weeks sober!

I'm glad you're continuing to seek support.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Check this site out...It covers it pretty good. Just be calm and go to listen...Get there 15 minutes early and introduce youself as new...They'll take care of you.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

congratulations on 6weeks,if you ring the local helpline you will speak to an Alcoholic in recovery,they will answer any questions you have and they will also know about all the meetings in your area.

wishing you well.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The below link describes what goes on in an AA meeting and different types of meetings, etc.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I also found the link that recoveryffaith and Sapling shared to be very useful.

Don't feel obligated to share anything, but try to talk to some people before and/or after the meeting. See if you can make connections with some of the people there.

Have fun!