Notices

AA Anniversaries Questions

Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Anniversaries Questions

Just out of curiosity, at the beginning of each meeting they ask if there are any AA anniversaries. Not one meeting I have been to has anyone spoke up at this point. What anniversaries are normally mentioned at this point? Do people usually announce them at this point, am I just going to meetings in between people's anniversaries by chance?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They probably just do yearly...My homegroup we do monthly for the first year so we always have people getting something...Today I got my 10th month chip....A girl got six months and a guy got his 24 hour chip. All meetings are groups...All groups are different...That why it's important to be a good shopper.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

in these parts most groups celebrate anniversaries at an open meeting at the end of the month. I think you are just hitting meetings between anniversaries.
What does your sponsor say about your question?? ....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I say if you have an anniversary (90 days, 120 days, 6 months, a year etc-mention it! AA is for you, and anytime you need recognition or a pick me up or just want people to know bout your sobriety, mention it-don't over think it
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

also mentioning your anniversary gives newcomers hope! I like it when there is a 30 day (or 1 week) anniversary along with the multiple year anniversary...of course wether it be 1 week or 10 years...we're only just one drink away from a slip...
Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

We have meetings that recognize monthly and yearly anniversaries during the half-way point in a meeting (we take a break, make announcements). Some meetings give a chip for every month of the first year, 1 year, 18 months and every year after that, and the most important chip, 29 days or less--the 24 hour chip). Others recognize 29 days or less (again, the 24 hour chip), 1, 3, 6, 9 months, 1 year, 18 months, and every year after that.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cool

Like sugarbear1, the meetings I've gone to do give out chips, but at the end of the meetings (no breaks, thus giving the person, who may not be sure if he/she want to commit, a bit more time).

The chips are the aluminum ones; these chips are not for every month but for.....: the 24hr chip that we call the 'desire' chip; 1 month chip; 2 month chip; 3 month chip; 6 month chip; 9 month chip (actually this one's bronze and called a 'heavy metal' chip), and the big one....the one year chip (this one is given to anyone who is celebrating one year, or any multiple thereof. ...and then comes what most of my recovery friends, who got sober when I did, what we call the 'resentment' chip (also a 'heavy metal' chip). This is the 18 month chip.....when my friends and I reached 18 months, there was no 18 month chip; it didn't come into being till the next year....grrrrr

On the last Saturday of the month we hold a Birthday/Aniversary meeting where all those celebrating a year or any multiple of years gets his/her 'heavy metal' yearly medallion.....and a certificate.....and they speak for a bit.....(some a bit longer than others.....LOLOL). This can lead to a very long meeting, but it's worth it (most of the time).

I still remember my first year.....I almost didn't graduate high school because I was no good at public speaking and had to give an oral book report (Vance Packard's The Status Seekers).....and here I was expected to speak in front of 300+ folks.....? AAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!! (my high school english class only had 30 folks in it.....HAH).

(o:
NoelleR