Notices

Never too late...

Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~sb

Thumbs up Never too late...

At the age of 50, I decided it was time to grow up. Okay, that's not it, the alcohol that I was drinking nightly, days off I drank most of the day, the weed I acquired cause I loved that buzz, well, it just wasn't working. My life was in a shambles. I stopped drinking on May 16, 2011. I gave up the weed about 4 days or so before the alcohol. I drank beer because liquor made me crazy! I still needed/wanted that beer.

Social anxiety, irrational fears (I feared everything), low self-esteem, few real friends in my life...you know the story. Messed up relationships, all the baggage we acquire, well, that was my "life" or lack of one.

Today, I have over 11 months sober and yesterday I turned 51. I don't look 51 (whatever that means) mostly because the "stress" or worry on my face is gone! I appear calm, I AM clam. I am happy. Life has not been a total 180, but today I am employed (since March 2012), I have friends, I have time to volunteer, I have a LIFE!

Sobriety is wonderful. Not every day is smooth, there are a lot of bumps in the road, but with my friends, I can make it through anything. And, yes, I do attend AA meetings (I'm at about 2 a week), I work the steps into my life, I do have some power greater than me doing some things I never thought possible (simple things like no traffic at the exact moment I need to cross, putting certain people in my life at the best moment possible, simple, little coincidences....that keep happening).

Yeah, sobriety IS possible. All of this coming from someone who couldn't stay stopped for just 1 day....

Today, yeah, it's a great day to be sober!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like my story SB...But I was 52 when I started...And instead of less traffic...I get a lot more green lights...Happy Birthday!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Social anxiety, irrational fears (I feared everything), low self-esteem, few real friends in my life...you know the story.

Today, yeah, it's a great day to be sober!
I certainly know that story all too well! Congrats on your sobriety! I have not had any trouble/withdrawal so far, but I know there will be hurdles and it is posts like this that will keep me coming back here to reaffirm my need to stay away from the alcohol!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took working those steps ro realize how much fear ran my life...Every part of it.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's beautiful sugarbear, thanks for sharing! Happy Birthday and well done on your sober time!! 7
Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats! Inspiring story.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I was crossing a street in Washington DC during rush hour and was attempting to cross at an intersection without a traffic light. It worked! Too many coincidences to list all of them, but those were the ones that I recalled....

Today, I will have a "me day (no substitute teaching today) then I will attempt to make a two layer cake for my home group (yeah, my 11 month anniversary and birthday cake, part 2 to be baked, then assembled)...we celebrate anniversaries the last Wednesday of the month and we don't have any April dates for a yearly anniversary.....
Old 04-25-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the inspiration, what a great post!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats SB...enjoy your sober birthday. Awesome achievement!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Right on, Sugarbear! So happy for you!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh Sugarbear! What a beautiful post - I have happy tears in my eyes. You have helped me so much - you are such an inspiration. I hope you have a wonderful day! Good luck with that cake! Much love to you!