Notices

4/25 ANZAC Day - My Day One

Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4/25 ANZAC Day - My Day One

Today is my first day without alcohol. I will not drink today nor any day in the future. At the age of 46 I am finally ready to move on from the near daily consumption of alcohol and start a new life. I admit to myself that after one or two drinks I crave more and moderation is not an option.

I thought I was just enjoying the after work drink or two to wind down. But over time this grew to a few beers, or a cocktail or two, followed by a bottle of wine or more. In recent years I've added weight and feel that my drinking has become problematic. I just don't like the person I became. I was never a morning drinker, and while I probably missed a few opportunities here and there, I was not considered by those around me as a problem drinker.

I'm a bit anxious about who I will be on the other side of this journey to recovery. Alcohol has been my companion for as long as I can recall. While staring at the moon and stars last night I recalled in my mind many memories from my drinking times, both good and bad. It was time to move on.

Today, April 25th, is ANZAC day. It's been 97 years since my grandfather fought at the Battle of Gallipoli. The slogan for that remembrance will be my slogan for quitting alcohol.

"Lest We Forget"
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you decided to stop and to stay stopped!

I wish you well!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to have you with us AQ - and what a poignant date to quit - good stuff

D