Notices

Wasn't Going To Post, But Am. Anyone Forget What "Normal" Is?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wasn't Going To Post, But Am. Anyone Forget What "Normal" Is?

So. Met with someone for lunch and we had like iced tea or whatever, and food. We just talked and visited and hopefully we both had a good time but then I got like a sober brain freeze, like I'm enjoying myself with somebody and I'm not drinking! I don't know how to explain it but you guys will know, normal felt so un-normal. I really can't explain it so I am writing but I think I forgot what feeling ok was. Kind of scarey. I hugged her goodbye and my first thought was my breath smell like booze? I had a nice time but when does the brain catch up to the body?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have to give it time Fitz - you've been through a lot even this year alone...

maybe it's best to just 'be' for a while and let 'normal' find its own level at its own time?

D
Old 04-24-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I think I try to do recovery too hard. I talked with my family today and they see my dis-ease like coming back from the dead, its almost like benign pity. Why SR is so important to me. Understanding.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Fitz I am starting to realise one of the issues I need to work on is being relaxed around people in unstructured social situations. All we can do is move forward in a healthy way.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

It seems like normal can take some time, so you may need to be satisfied with "less crazy" for now.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
"the foot feels the ground when it feels the ground." You are a joy and inspiration to read on SR and I'm sure it's the same in person. No worries no fear.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
"the foot feels the ground when it feels the ground." You are a joy and inspiration to read on SR and I'm sure it's the same in person. No worries no fear.
That was so nice, I think I suffer from alcoholic low self-esteem. I AM NOT MY DRUG. Thanks I'll keep thinking that.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know I had moments of sheer terror...my brain would freeze, I'd forget what I was about to say and the world all seemed like it was waiting for me to speak. I had a hard time being sober because when you're not filling conversations with useless blabber or song lyrics...hmm...people expect more. LOL You'll get it.
At least I can hold a conversation now -it gets better.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks fitz, I can't wait for the day when ordering an iced tea will feel normal to me. I think your on the right track
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I had a contact from a little Viet/Irish daughter saying how much she loved me and my night just turned into day. Hey and the nights ok too. If I remember it. I know of no gift greater than hearing I love you and being sober to receive it.. I am so blessed.