Notices

Hello Everyone

Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone

Hi all, I'm Adam and have been a daily drinker for about 5 years or so now. It started out as 2 drinks a day after work, then as time passed I found out I was drinking more (about 4-5 nowadays) and have been doing that a little over a year now. I know it's not good on my body and have been wanting to quit but sometimes it's just really hard. An event occurred this weekend where a good friend of mine and I got into a fist fight and none of us remember what happened. To make it worse my girlfriend had to come pick me up and that was not a pretty picture. I'm taking this as a sign to sober myself up and get on the road to recovery, as cliche as it sounds. I've got a bright future ahead of me with schooling and marriage, and I can't let myself ruin all of these great things because of my drinking. The last drink I had was Sunday, and I've been having some withdrawal symptoms and am not sure if it's normal or serious. I've been very anxious and sometimes my hand shakes a little bit. Odd thing is that it'll happen to me for an hour or so, then I'll be completely fine. I'm not sure how long it'll last, but I've got today and tomorrow to get over this sickness before work on Thursday. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So it goes

Welcome Adam!
You need to be careful detoxing , it can be dangerous, if you have any worries check with a doctor asap
I hope you find SR helpful, it has been great for me, I will be 3 months sober on Thursday, once that seemed a distant dream
Billy
Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome!

Yes, if the withdrawal gets worse, please see a doctor.

Many of us here have succesfuly quit drinking.
What works for me is to think that first drink through to the end and where it'll lead. This has kept me sober for over two years, and I was an almost hopeless drunk.

You may also want to look into a program of recovery, AA works for many and there are others.

It's great to have you here, and post as often as you like.

Best to you.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Adam

I second the Dr advice here - best to be safe

I had to make a lot of changes in my life to stay sober - some quite sweeping - support from people who understood and empathised was important for me.

You'll find a lot of support here
D