Notices

What's with the panic attacks?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's with the panic attacks?

Does anyone else have this problem of experiencing hours of panic attacks one after another after another while sobering up? I drank heavy over the weekend after ten days sober and the panic attacks are even worse this time. I cannot fall asleep it goes for hours until I'm exhausted and finally doze off. Day after day for several days.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It;s very common I think ryan...I certainly experienced that...they lessened in intensity as time went on...

I'd see your Dr if you're concerned or you find they're impeding your normal day to day life tho

D
Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Love them anyway...

RyanRyan~

I had anxiety issues before my drinking took a turn so needless to say that after a few years of drinking and then trying to sober up, my panic attacks came back full force. I went and saw my Dr. I highly recommend getting some outside assessment because there are options that may help.
Just know that you arent alone. Keep reaching out for help.
Thanks for posting your journey.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I imagine anxiety is normal and that can cascade into panic attacks. That is how I experienced panic attacks in my mid 20s. After I got counselling and how to stop them (without medication) about not escalating it, then they stopped. It was amazing the shift that occurred. For me (not medical advice) its shifting what the "energy" is about --is it anxiety or is it excitement or? So that was helpful for me. And using that energy to take action ---exercise and do something with it.

Not sure if that's helpful (and not medical advice) but that is what has helped me. Can I share what's helped me without it being perceived as medical advice?

I didn't start drinking till I was about 28 or so on a regular basis, and since then no panic attacks. I wonder if they'd return if I stopped drinking? Again another barrier (fear) I've had about stopping? Not asking for medical advise but curious.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know all too well about anxiety and panic attacks after drinking too much. I myself had too much on Sunday and still experienced some anxiety this morning. Being afraid is no fun but you're not alone my friend. It's no fun when they happen but just remember they will go away and you'll end up feeling much better. Hang in there!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, my panic attacks got worse every time I relapsed.

And, yes, they were worst at bedtime, so bad in fact that I couldn't lie still.

There are many excellent books on how to deal with panic attacks without medication. They may not go away, but you can definitely lessen the frequency and severity. You can learn how to breathe your way through, and you can learn how to deal with an attack at work or if you're home alone.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It gets worse never Better Ryan.....Get to AA meetings as often as you can until you decide whats best for you.Identifacation and Company you need now....not more Drink.
If there is an underlying Problem you may Need Therapy....Or if you could get to an ACA meeting you might discover in time What causing all this Anxiety...
In the Mean Time try and keep busy....an idel Mind....Is not Good at the Start of trying to stay Sober........................
Stinking thinking Set in.

Try a Relaxation Recording....Mary Maddax is Good.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13352895671261
Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I only started get panic attacks badly when I decided I needed to quit. It's amazing how you can actually feel worse from drinking less but it seems to work that way. Once you've become an alcoholic you can never go back to abstaining/drinking/abstaining/drinking because the hangovers and panic attacks are hell on earth, or at least they were for me.

The only solution is to quit for good.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LDT

My panic attacks got so bad that on two different occasions an ambulance was called to my house. I made no less than 7 trips to the ER during my drinking career, thinking I was having a heart attack. And I am a person that rarely sees a doctor even when I really need to.

I agree that the attacks get worse over time, and with increased drinking. Indeed, as 30sober said, they are hell on earth. It took me almost a year of sobriety for them to end.

Never going back there again.....Never.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by micealc View Post
It gets worse never Better Ryan......
I thought this was a support forum!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I do have to take meds for anxiety and depression anyway but they dont even work when coming off the booze. :/ It seems to get worse with the stopping and stopping the drink. I have been to the ER before for this too. I really dont think there's any real solution other than being done for good. The attacks are indeed hell on earth.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ryan, I have tried to view these panic attacks as my body telling me ... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

My self imagined and delusional "fun filled" drinking career is over and maybe this is the only way I will listen.

You have to believe it will get better if you quit.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi Ryan. I too get anxiety and all the other stuff. Im nearly 8 months sober, they can still be present, but because I have a clear head, it is easier to rationalise them. After all, its only adrenalin!... IMO a clear head is the key. With me... it was a case of, "well, I was scared to death in the past with one, I'm going to have another one... probably right now, oh yes... here we go...$hit!" it was like I was willing one on! (can I explain why?... no!) Im not on anti-drepressants for them, but take a very small dose of a certain calming tablet that almost gives me the 'placebo effect' (prescribed as 1, 3 times a day... I take 1/4 if/when required)
Hang in there bud, you are definately not alone in this (I always thought I was the only one going through this personal hell!)
Once you start notching up the sober days you will find things star to balance out. (BTW some antidepressants start working about 2 weeks into taking them and generally have no effect if you are drinking with them. Give it a couple of weeks to see if they start kicking in again as they should) x
Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanRyan View Post
Does anyone else have this problem of experiencing hours of panic attacks one after another after another while sobering up?
Yes, in my worst stage of drinking I had intermittent panic attacks all day and while I was trying to sleep at night too. They lessened as I was 'trying to stop' but were still more often than not a daily occurrence. Since quitting I have had exactly 2 panic attacks

It wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor about this and of course no more binges
Old 04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I get extremely bad panic attacks, anxiety, paranoia after a binge- utter hell.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Dee gave me this link awhile back and there's some really helpful stuff here:

http://www.calmclinic.com/

I'll have 60 days next week and the anxiety/panic attacks are just starting to go away. I might have one a day now, as it gets close to bedtime. They do get better.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Ryanryan,
Attacks like these are what I consider my rock bottom in a way. On two occasions I had terrible attacks that hit very quickly while driving on the highway. It got so bad it began to tense up the tendons in my hands and start to close my eyes for me, while driving. For me they're getting much better as the days go by. My multivitamins seem to help me, possibly the placebo affect but my mind is happy.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

They will get better, just try to remember it's all in your head.