Notices

Newcomer!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer!

Hey all, I hope all of you are well.

I am a mid-twenties college graduate. I started partying at the normal age and my friends and I really liked to cut loose and get crazy when we could. Through college, I retained good grades despite being a moderate drug users. I smoked pot a lot, did psychedelics every now and then, but ran into a cocaine problem for about a year.

I don't do any drugs anymore, except marijuana occasionally. (I'm a musician and sometimes it helps!)

I drank heavily throughout my early 20's in a social party setting. However recently, I went through a bad breakup and started drinking to alleviate stress. Even though the pain of the breakup is gone, I still drink heavily and experience near daily episodes that I can only attribute to alcohol withdrawals.

Now, I can go through weeks of sobriety and feeling great, but will run into a week or two of really drunken nights and withdrawal days.

I want to cut down, but all my friends like to drink and I do to especially when i'm watching the game, fishing, whatever.

What do you thin?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome ohwhattheheck!

I think you're really wise to listen to that "sneaking suspicion" that you have a drinking problem. That's usually the case with those of us that come here!

There's some pretty big red flags: drinking to deal with emotions/stress, daily drinking, hangovers/withdrawals..... It sounds like your drinking has progressed over time, too, which is also typical of alcoholism. If you've had thoughts about cutting down before and haven't succeeded, you're in the right place!

Glad you're here!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ohwhattheheck - welcome

Have you tried cutting down yet?
If you're a drinker like me, cutting down is an exercise in futility...

I was a musician too - my self image was bound up in drinking and drugging - I lost my career, my talent, my creativity and nearly my life because I couldn't give up getting wasted.

If you find, like I did, that you can't cut down, be smarter than I was and accept the reality WTH...

I'm glad I did - I had to make a lot of changes but my life is awesome now - and I'm playing & writing again

you'll find a lot of support here...
D
Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome to SR! If you find that your using is negatively effecting your life and you tend to lose controle over your using then yes, you're in the right place. With drug and alcohol use, it's more common that people have a problem and deny it than people see problems in themselves that aren't there. You can still party with your friends but using doesn't have to be part of your "good time."that when someone offers me something, i say "no thanks." They offer again, i say "nah, i'm good." Eventually people stop asking questions they already know the answer to. If someone prys as to why i'm not drinking (how rude!) I usually just tell them that i don't feel like it or i'm kinda watching my figure. Then i turn the conversation back on them (so what's going on with work? How's the girlfriend? Blah blah blah) and that usually ends it. People love talking about themselves!

Partying without drinking is very possible. It just seems strange to us because we've never tried it before.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the words of encouragement!

There is a nagging part of me that doesn't want to give up drinking totally.
My father was an alcoholic when he was younger, but as long as I can remember he never drinks more than one beer after work.

I would like to think that I could still socially drink without going overboard. And often times I do just that.

Anyone here who has the self-control down?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not one for self control myself. And I think I actually did try too. There were times when I'd alternate alcoholic drinks with water, always start the night on a soft drink, don't drink til after 6pm...all those little rules that people tell you to help control your drinking. I stuck to the rules but alcohol was still a major problem for me.

If you try to moderate and it doesn't seem to work do consider abstinence as an option.

Welcome to SR
Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome ohwhattheheck! Wise of you to be taking a look at what alcohol's doing to your life. I once drank like you, but ended up completely dependent on it later in life. I played with moderating for many years, but as I got older, it no longer worked.

It isn't how often you drink, but what happens to you when you do. I'm sure you've heard how alcoholism is a progressive disease. You say you can sometimes drink socially with no repercussions - and those are the times that fool us into thinking we do have control. For an alcoholic, eventually willpower - or good intentions - don't cut it.

Glad you are here - please let us know how it's going.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

You have received good advice from the others. I never really factored into my years of drinking that alcohol is an addictive substance. It is more subtle then heroin or other drugs, but to me it is more insidious. The more you drink the more you want / need. I think once it is causing you trouble it is very hard to get the genie back into the bottle.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, ohwhattheheck, and welcome!

I used to try cutting back. I would set limits on how many drinks I could have, when I could have them, and where I could have them. It never worked for me. It was just a matter of time (and not much of it) until I was finding exceptions to the rules and convincing myself that just a bit more wouldn't hurt. Every time I tried cutting back it worked for a couple days or a week or sometimes even two weeks, but I always ended up back where I started.

I didn't want to give it up totally either. After a while though I realized that, for me, cutting back just wasn't an option. Anyway, everything that I would have wanted a drink for I can do without one, and probably enjoy myself more without the worry of going too far. Can't drink too much if you don't drink at all!

If you try cutting back, I wish you the best of luck. If it doesn't work, I hope you'll consider quitting entirely. You'll find a ton of supportive people here; I definitely have.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

Your story sounds a lot like mine: mid-twenties musician, college grad, not many drugs other than booze. I think my drinking habits were a little different than yours are, but that's not too important. I used to only have drinking friends too, but lots of them split when they realized I was getting sober for good.

I know my life is a lot less crazy now that I'm not drinking. I feel healthier on all fronts: mental, physical, spiritual. Being sober hasn't deprived me of much -- except a whole lot of pain. I've been sober for a year and I'm not going back to my old life ever again. Now that drinking is off the table I've been able to move on with my life. I feel like this is a pretty important time in my life and I'm sure you feel the same. This is the time when we are really defining ourselves as adults, beginning to build our careers and families, etc. It's a great stage of life to be sober in.

Best wishes,
Old 04-24-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

And to answer your question about moderation -- I never thought that 1 or 2 beers sounded like much fun. I'd just as soon have an iced tea if I wasn't going to get blitzed off my ass. Honestly, the rare times when I did have just a few I ended up just geting irritable because I wanted more. It took a minor epiphany to realize this, but it's something that's helped me not be envious of those who can drink socially without going overboard.

Maybe you're different than me in that respect, though.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
Welcome to SR!

Your story sounds a lot like mine: mid-twenties musician, college grad, not many drugs other than booze. I think my drinking habits were a little different than yours are, but that's not too important. I used to only have drinking friends too, but lots of them split when they realized I was getting sober for good.

I know my life is a lot less crazy now that I'm not drinking. I feel healthier on all fronts: mental, physical, spiritual. Being sober hasn't deprived me of much -- except a whole lot of pain. I've been sober for a year and I'm not going back to my old life ever again. Now that drinking is off the table I've been able to move on with my life. I feel like this is a pretty important time in my life and I'm sure you feel the same. This is the time when we are really defining ourselves as adults, beginning to build our careers and families, etc. It's a great stage of life to be sober in.

Best wishes,

This makes a lot of sense about it being a good time to be sober. I just started a new job and I am hoping that will be the motivation for me to cut back. I plan on trying moderation first and see how it goes.

If I stick to beer I don't the nagging to keep drinking. But if start drinking hard liquor, then that's it.

So that is my first step.

Thanks for the support!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ohwhattheheck View Post
I plan on trying moderation first and see how it goes.
You want me to save you some time?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yes, I have self control. I never pick up that first drink

I wish ya luck, but I have never known an alcoholic (not that you are one) that could moderate.. if any of us here could moderate, we wouldn't need this forum.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi ohwhattheheck,

A lot of what you described sounds familiar to me. I partied as a young adult along with my friends. I experimented with drugs. I had that same uncomfortable feeling, the little voice in me that said, I think I might have a problem. But I didn't want to give up my friends or my lifestyle. Fast forward a couple decades and it all caught up to me. Now I feel the same anxiety about quitting, "I'll lose my friends", "I'll have to give up being the party girl" And honestly... I'm not sure how to NOT be that party girl. It's the thing that has kept me from getting sober. But the affects of drinking take a toll on your body.

Just be honest with yourself. If something inside you is telling you this may be a problem for you... Listen! Don't waste decades of your life.

I'm sober three days... It sounds so silly to me. Is there anything else in life that we count from day one? I can't think of one.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Your dad and mine, not willing to give up the booze. That's 2 that I know who can moderate. Oh, my dad has had many problems with growths, he just gets them cut out. Some malignant, some benign. Hasn't stopped him from drinking.

Best wishes!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks sugarbear for the response! My dad has been sober (not drunk one time) in over 20 years. He saw that providing for his family is more important. I respect him for being able to have beer every now and then while being a well-paid professional and a member in the community. It shows a self-control that I hope I have inside me as well.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

However recently, I went through a bad breakup and started drinking to alleviate stress. Even though the pain of the breakup is gone, I still drink heavily and experience near daily episodes that I can only attribute to alcohol withdrawals.
In my experience when you've started to use alcohol for a particular reason, it's *very* hard to turn the clock back and become a normal drinker.

Like others here, I wish you well heck - but don't spend too much time on this - if you must, set yourself a finite time to moderate successfully or not...and stick to that...don't waste 20 years on this like I did.

D
Old 04-29-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Looks like you have already gotten plenty of advice and I really don't know what I would contribute but I wanted to say I dig your handle.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ohwhattheheck View Post

If I stick to beer I don't the nagging to keep drinking. But if start drinking hard liquor, then that's it.

So that is my first step.
I had to give up liquor many years ago because I got black outs. I kept on drinking for another 10 years before I came here. I stuck to beer mostly but I still had a lot of problems with alcohol. Just sharing because I feel like what I did was successfully 'moderate' for 10 years in comparison to my previous drinking but it was still pretty bad. Try sticking to government guidelines for a bit. Or, experiment with sobriety...The last few months is the longest I've been sober since I was 14. Try giving up for 30 days just to see what it's like not having to think about alcohol, you might like it...I don't think the option of not drinking ever crossed my mind before coming here x