Notices

Looking dire when stopping drinking...

Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking dire when stopping drinking...

Hello,

I've been sober a month now. In some respects, I feel great. Physically, no longer majorly depressed. Feelings are coming up now and my self-esteem is shot to pieces, but I reckon that's to be expected so I'm going to work on it. I think booze dampened all that down, then made it all a lot worse in some continual vicious circle so I'm very glad to have stopped.

But I look bad. Grey, spotty skin, bags under eyes, and I'm so tired. I know it's just looks but self-esteem taking a hammering as it it. Is this normal for a bit? I've just adjusted my diet, trying to remove sugar highs. So more veg and fruit, more protein and not so many refined carbs and taking a multi-vitamin. I did up my caffeine intake to 3 cups a day, it's usually only 2.. couldn't face cutting it out. Should I try to limit it? I'm sleeping about 7 hours a night monday to friday, weekends though I make myself get out of bed after 9 hours (I'd had a history of depression and used to lie in bed a lot.. of course the weekend hangovers never helped!) but I do feel like sleeping more. Should I just give in at weekends and get more sleep?

I think I just want a bit of re-assurance this may improve if I keep chipping away at it by taking care of myself.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've heard that when detoxing your skin gets worse before it gets better. I might have just made that up but I certainly broke out in the first few weeks but the puffiness had gone down quite quickly so I was chuffed to bits.

If you suffer from depression I'd try exercise before more sleep...though I am in no place to advise as I currently sleep loads and go for a nice walk once a week.

I'm sure things will improve though, I definitely noticed more positive changes in the second month.

And your self esteem should be taking a huge boost seeing as you've not drank for a whole month
Old 04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I would definitely consider talking to your doctor. The only difference I had when I got sober was that I looked less "puffy", but I've heard stories that run the gamut.

It could be that you have some vitamin deficiencies, as alcohol leaches vitamins from the body, especially some of the b-complex vitamins. I would talk to a doctor about maybe adding some additional supplements onto your multivitamin regimen.

I say sleep in on the weekends. What else are they good for? I love to sleep If you're sleepy that probably means that your body is telling you that you need to sleep. That could be a major contributing factor.

You don't mention exercise, but that could be something to look into as well.

Congrats on one month sober! That's an awesome accomplishment. I think 1 month felt like the milestone I would never reach after lots and lots of relapsing.

Best wishes,
Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I seem to recall it took me months to look healthy again...but I think, if you're concerned, a Dr is a good first step regeneration

D
Old 04-23-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, it definitely took me months to have a healthy look. I was told the B-Vitamins were important, too. For me, everything had been impacted - I was losing hair, nails, had a weird rash - but it all got better.

I was exhausted, too - I think you should get all the sleep you need for now. Think of what we've put our poor bodies through - you're still healing. Congratulations on your sober month, regen!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there and you will find nothing but better health from quitting drinking.
The few times I was able to be off the sauce for any length, I felt better both physically and emotionally.
I have seen before and after photos of people that quit on this site and they were shocking. The one girl looked so much better it was amazing!
I ran into a friend I had not seen in years and he looked so much better, brighter, happier than I had ever seen him. He had quit drinking for over a year and he showed it!
You reap what you sow. You will see the positive long term effect of your actions.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hevyn's post reminds me that I too had some hair loss/thinning hair issues. My hair hasn't gotten much better though, so I think it might just be natural/age related.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i know things will get better..i know sobriety is worth it...and i know your looks really do matter....a dr can help...start new projects...that helps too....good luck
Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Regeneration

I too had the dull skin and breakouts pretty bad. But that all healed itself. We put a lot of toxins into our system, takes a little time for that glow to appear, but it will. Sounds like you're doing all the right things with diet and sleep.

Don't knock the fact that it's "just looks". This is part of recovery too. When we look good, we feel better too.

A few small things, even when I was sooo tired, was get my hair trimmed, maybe a nice fresh colour. Buy some new pajamas. Treat yourself a little, it really helps.

Like I said, it all evens out in time. You're doing great
Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 1 month!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Aw, I just wanted to say thanks. I'm going to go and see the doc just for a check-up.

I've realised I'm really lucky to be here one month sober. It was a reminder to me to be thankful reading replies.

And I've also realised that whereas I used to think eating healthily, and doing exercise would follow on months down the line from stopping.. .I am starting to realise I need to do it now to help myself, and it feels so much easier to do when sober. An unexpected bonus

I love this site.