Notices

Tell Me Mood Swings Are OK

Old 04-23-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tell Me Mood Swings Are OK

First -- and most importantly -- I am 26 days sober and very grateful!

And...I am an emotional basket case -- at times.

I'm sure this has been addressed on this forum countless times, but if any of you could just reassure me that it's normal, that I will even out -- that would be so helpful.

I have broken blood vessels under my eyes from spontaneous crying fits, and then 5 minutes later I'm spent and relaxed. Or I'll be completely down and depressed followed by a feeling of hopefulness out of nowhere. And then the cycle begins again.

I know it's different for everyone, but please just tell me how it was for you and when you started to feel more level.

THANKS!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's normal Gracie...And it does even out.....At 26 days I think it's to be expected...If you feel like you can't take it...Talk to your doctor...Maybe he can give you something to take the edge off for you....I just gave it time.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was a TERROR when I was getting sober. I literally have no idea how anyone lived with me. It's completely normal.

It gets better in time as your body learns to function without alcohol. You're throwing your system for a loop.

Just let yourself feel your feelings without feeling badly about it. People will understand later. Actually, they probably understand now and are just so happy you're getting sober they're okay with putting up with a little emotional-ness.

Congratulations on 26 days! You should be proud! Also I found things like listening to music, going for a drive, going to the gym or on a run, watching a funny TV show, calling a friend... etc all helped me stay a little more sane.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first year was like a roller coaster ride...at times it was fun & I wanted to keep on riding. Other times I felt sick & wanted to get off. I realized I have to stay on the ride to get used to it all. Congratz on almost 1 month!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GracieJan, I agree with everyone else, it is normal.
The other day I made dinner for the boyfriend and I and he was running a bit late because of work and when he got home - the food was a bit on the cool side - and I was furious and lost my appetite and had gotten angry AT HIM (!) even though it wasn't his fault! Any little thing can set me off...
I am trying to keep it under control...but it is totally normal early in sobriety.

CONGRATULATIONS on day 26!!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy Happy sad happy Miserable happy sad sad empty sad happy wonderful sad ! Think My moods go along these lines at 102 days sober
Old 04-23-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this GracieJane cos I was thinking my emotional state was a bit OTT.

I'm 7 weeks sober and I feel like I'm starting to even out a bit now but I haven't ruled out the possibility of more emotional turmoil.

The first few weeks I felt very flat, tired, angry...3 weeks plus the crying started...If I can make it through a doctors appointment without crying or nearly bursting into tears anytime someone is remotely nice to me I will consider it a freaking miracle.

Well done on 26 days x
Old 04-23-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh - yes, Hypo! What is that about, the bursting into tears when someone's nice to you? It's soooooo unnerving and strange! Is it because I feel I don't deserve it? Or am overwhelmed with gratitude? I can't tell.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mood swings are ok
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

You are so normal! We numbed our feelings, well, we thought we numbed them, but we really just pushed them inside of us very deep. They will come out.

Do you have a program of recovery?