Notices

Introduction to myself, Hope to share

Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction to myself, Hope to share

Hey everybody,

I am a twenty eight year old health care professional and I have recently given up a dream job in an exciting country. The reasons for this were many but the main reason is alcohol. I have been a problem drinker for about eight years. drinking daily, It's time to stop. Alcohol has brought me to my knees, I am so desperate I have been contemplating suicide. I would rather not excist than have this horrible drug rule my life any longer. Today I have been to the doctor for help. I am finished with this devilish substance, I long to have my life back and be the person again that I can not even remember. I am in tears as I write this. Today is day one and I will do anything and everything not to drink today. I know I am going to go through hell negotiating with my addiction so that I do not go to the shop for booze.

I look forward to sharing some experiences with you all.

Best wishes,

Jim
Old 04-21-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome Jim. There certainly is a way forward to getting our lives back. It can be a uncomfortable and I have had to give up many old ideas, and habits that ultimately supported alcohol abuse.

Hang in there. The first week is the hardest by far.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR, JimJim!

I was suicidal near the end of my drinking too. I found a lot of peace when I was able to finally surrender and stop fighting. Being sober does not make my life perfect, far from it, but I do find that now that I'm sober I have the ability to find peace and happiness in my life, whereas when I was drinking that was impossible.

I would recommend talking to your doctor about your depression, if you didn't mention it today. Getting off of booze will help you out a lot, but you may still need further treatment as well.

Best wishes,
Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hello and welcome to a different kind of Hell, Jim. The good news is that in this Hell the longer you're here, the better it gets instead of the opposite. Sobriety isn't a bed of roses but it's better than where you're at now. If you're ready to work hard and do anything to have sobriety then it's yours for the taking. I recommend getting with an AA group or two or three or eight. Even if you don't think AA is for you. If you haven't tried it then it sure as hell can't hurt. If you "fail" and drink again just remember that you only really fail if you stop trying. And when you want to drink and you don't know what to do, call someone or get on here. Reach out for help. Whenever you reach out for help, the hand of recovery will always, ALWAYS BE THERE TO HELP YOU.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jim.
You are going to find a lot of support here so ask a lot of questions and read a bunch of posts, we are all here for you...all here to listen.
I can't give too much advice as I am only on day 5 at the moment but I do have faith and hope that things will be better...just by reading posts by other people on here expressing how fantastic they feel after they quit is motivation and inspiring enough.
I know you feel despaired but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am more than sure of it - just don't drink for today...focus on that. Things will get better Jim.
We are here to listen!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome JimJim x

Things will get a lot better now that alcohol is out of your life. Maybe not straight away, but you will start noticing things to be grateful for which will reaffirm your sobriety and give you hope.

Glad you're here
Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Thank you all for your kind messages. I have been touched by the compassion toawrds others on this forum. I think it's because we can all realte to others' situations and experiences in quite a vivid way in some circumstances. I am thankfull that I have found somewhare that helps somewhat. I'll be around

Day three, free from alcohol

Best wishes
Old 04-24-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Welcome, Jim! Way to go on Day three!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Well done Jim. Just keep doing that, despite the distractions and the temptations !!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done, Jim, and be strong! You'll find it in yourself to give the alcohol up! x
Old 04-24-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So glad you're here, Jim!

I'm a health care professional, too. We're awfully good at fixing everyone else, leaving ourselves in the dust, huh? I'm finding that even though I'm pretty new to sobriety (close to 50 days from opiates) I am much better with my patients than ever before.

Better days ahead very soon, my friend. Keep up the great work!