Notices

Newcomer finding the right AA meeting??

Old 04-21-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer finding the right AA meeting??

Does anyone have advice on finding the right AA meeting. I'm motivated to quit drinking and was going to a meeting for about a week. I definitly heard alot of things I could relate to and felt great when I left but it was such a large meeting that I had a hard time speaking up.

I guess I'd like to hear some other peoples experiences about their first attempts at AA. I want to be sober and start living my life again...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by defttank View Post
Does anyone have advice on finding the right AA meeting. I'm motivated to quit drinking and was going to a meeting for about a week. I definitly heard alot of things I could relate to and felt great when I left but it was such a large meeting that I had a hard time speaking up.

I guess I'd like to hear some other peoples experiences about their first attempts at AA. I want to be sober and start living my life again...
I have been going for 2 weeks, approx 6 meetings so far and haven't spoken up yet, as I prefer to listen and learn at this stage.Identifying at this stage is more important to me
Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Just keep going to different meetings you can get to. You'll find your meeting.

Of course, in early recovery, we are on an emotional roller coaster and are often not feeling wonderful about ourselves, which is reflected back to us in our perceptions. Kind of difficult to find a meeting when we aren't comfortable in our own skin. Pray on it, meditate if you can, and keep going to meetings.

Have you spoken to anyone before or after the meeting? I made a lot of assumptions about people by their appearance, which changed once I had an actual conversation with them.

Keep coming back!

Glad you are on SR!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Try calling the local Alcoholics Anonymous number in the phone book. Tell um what you’re after. They can likely help you find other meetings etc . that might be a better fit for you. They have local offices. You can also drop in and pick up a meeting schedule (call first).
Old 04-21-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Most people start out with Speaker Meetings, where you just listen and try to identify with the feelings of those speaking. Pick up a meeting book which will tell you all the different kinds of meetings available. There are small discussion meetings for specific groups of people...male, female, a combination...even gays and lesbians. Give yourself a few weeks of different meetings...you'll find your comfort zone. Good luck...
Old 04-21-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find a meeting that works for you.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go to as many different meetings as you can get to. At some point, go up to the meeting chair and tell them you're new and what should you do to get started. Or you could go up to someone who shared during the meeting to whom you related and them the same thing.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Listening will do you lots more good than talking. Circulate round a few meetings, listen to folks and watch them. When you see someone who appears to have what you want, talk to them after the meeting. meanwhile collect a few phone numbers and call them - the people will be glad to hear from you.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You have some great advice here...Wow...I wish somebody told me all that stuff when I went to my first meeting. 10 months sober this week....I found the right meeting....The right sponsor....And worked the steps...The best thing I've ever done for myself in my life.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by defttank View Post
... I definitly heard alot of things I could relate to and felt great when I left but it was such a large meeting that I had a hard time speaking up....
First at this point the best thing you can do is listen. It's OK to bring up a topic when they ask but offering advice is beyond your experience right now. Also, they ask if there are any newcomers to AA at the beginning of the meeting. Raise your hand and introduce yourself. People will gravitate to you to offer support. Big meetings are good. Lots of perspectives and viewpoints. Don't worry about speaking up. You need to listen and find out what the program is about. I also agree that it's best to go to a lot of different meetings. Again different viewpoints and more people for support. Get phone numbers and use them daily. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Every meeting has something to offer
to my own recovery. Not focusing too
much on what's right or wrong right
now, but to focus on the messages
that I hear in any meeting to hold on
to that day. A message of hope to cling
onto and think about during the day.

The messages of recovery to grow on
and help me stay sober and not drink
for that day was just right for me to