Notices

Here we go again...drinking AND smoking

Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again...drinking AND smoking

Today I am quitting drinking...again. Had a rather eventful night, last night, and I am feeling very remorseful. I'm tired of this stupid cycle. The only thing that will be different this time, is that I'm going to attempt to quit smoking too. Thus far,I haven't been able to quit just the drinking alone, so taking away the cigarettes at the same time, might seem too much to handle. Smoking and drinking go hand in hand for me and, of course, I smoke so much more when I drink. I feel like my self-destructive behaviors are all intertwined. The alcohol abuse, the smoking, the poor diet etc...I just want to live and feel better and both the drinking and smoking have not, and will not, bring me any closer to that goal. I know this is going to be hard, but I have to try, and this time, hopefully succeed. I don't want to fail again :-(. Coming to SR really does help though, and I hope that the next time I post, I'll have something good to say
Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

if with each attempt you learn, nothing has been in vain. go for it Carly!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you going to try anything differently now?

You CAN do this again!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat as you carly...I'm on Day 2 of no drinking and no smoking....
Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Personally, I believe it would be better to concentrate on the alcohol, and try quitting cigarettes when you have a bit of sober time.

It was much more difficult to quit smoking than drinking. After six years of sobriety, I managed to quit smoking...and still relapsed on the cigarettes twice until I finally quit for good (when I was absolutely ready). I smoked and drank from the age of 16...and, it's true...the addictions do seem to go together.

Now, I'm alcohol and nicotine free almost as long as I drank and smoked. I consider myself a Recovering Alcoholic and Nicotine Addict. Hopefully, you'll get there, too...I know it's possible.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Scrambled,
Hows it going. I'm on day 2 again. Going to an AA party tonight, trying to stay out of trouble. Whats new with you?
Diana
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Random Guy

My voice is still recovering from how much ai would smoke when I was drinking, I would just sit there in front of my computer playing my game pounding beer after beer and chain smoke. I would sometimes go through 2-3 packs of cigerates in an evening. I smoke normaly about a pack a day, well its been less than that now that I have quit. But that was without drinking, once the beer started all bets were off and I would smoke as much as I drank, the result is a voice that sounds like I am going through puverty again with a base of bronchitis. Good Luck on trying both I am going with just the drinking for now and eventually the smokes and dip (copenhagen) If I get all of that our of my system I will work on decreasing sugar. This is something like a 5 year plan though I am in no hurry Just handle the one and I will get to the others when I feel like it.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me too day 2 no drinking. I don't smoke thank god trying to do one is hard enough.
Diana
Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanx guys :-). I know what my triggers are and I'm gonna have to do my best to avoid them and change my behavior. Like eating on my breaks at work, instead of going outside for a smoke...I smoked my last cigarette today. The pack is empty and I will not go to the store and buy any more. I just had to finish it, I didn't have the will to just throw the rest away lol, but they're all gone now...now I'm gonna drink some coconut water (it's supposedly really good for hydration), think I'm going to replace beer with coconut water :-D...and maybe watch Law and Order SVU re-runs (one addiction that I'm not ashamed of!) And I also have books I need to finish reading. I'm actually feeling optimistic right now.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I guess the reason behind me trying to quit both at once is that I'm worried that my impatience will get the better of me, like it has done in the past. I just want to be rid of both, because I'm scared that if I'm still actively doing one, then the other will creep back in. I know that may sound weird, as alcohol seems to cause people to smoke more, not the other way around, but idk...I guess it's a mental thing. I just wanna get both out of my system as soon as possible.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Carly, are you going to AA meetings?

A lot of people have trouble quitting drinking AND smoking, usually suggested to address them one at a time.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good Luck Carly and well done stevie it's brave to tackle them both together.

I have been 6 days sober and really want to quit the fags too, maybe I should also hit them both.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I quit drinking in November 2011. I waited two weeks to quit the smoking- I wanted to still "enjoy" a vice for a while. Then I got on wellbutrin and havent smoked since. Free from both for five months. It wasnt easy
Old 04-21-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I think it's great that you are quitting both at the same time. I think you'll be very successful as long as you don't cave on either one. "Just one" never is just one -- whether that's drinks or cigarettes.

Quitting both, after all, is a lifestyle change, so why not address both at once? Well done, hang in there.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Carly, I had to quit both at once, I didn't feel I had the choice. I gave up smoking before without giving up drinking but one beer (ok, actually 10) too many and I started up again. And when I was 'trying' to stop drinking I just couldn't do it while I was smoking. I know other people find this hard but I'm an all or nothing person. It helped in a way because I didn't know which one was bothering me more in the early days. Go for it and good luck x
Old 04-21-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm 35 days into quitting both. So, it CAN be done. My cravings for tobacco far outweigh those of alcohol.

Best of luck to you.

warren