Notices

does the apathy last?

Old 04-21-2012, 12:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

does the apathy last?

Right now I am in this place where I am existing, doing well and I have moments where things are ok but the majority of time I am floating around with total apathy. Does this go away? Is it normal to experience something like this during recovery?

My DOC was crack and I was a user for 10 yrs, I have been sober 139 days.

Anyone with a similar experience during their recovery? It's not that life is horrible, its neither good nor bad...I am terrified that I will feel like this forever.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It probably will take a long time for your body and brain to feel better. Are you eating well, getting enough sleep etc? Getting any exercise? I think that when we use substances to create moods or blank moods out, our brains forget what to do and that takes a while to heal. I think exercise really helps to lift my mood and get some endorphins happening, which makes me feel better all round.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi deepnblue

I felt like that for quite a while to be honest...I don't know whether it was depression or fear or what but it gradually shifted

If you're concerned tho I think you could do worse than consult with your Dr and put your mind at ease

D
Old 04-21-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply Tiger, sleep & eating have been an issue for me. I am working nights right now but my neighbors have been a little noisy, sometimes keeping me awake or waking me up at odd hours. Insomnia has been a bit of a problem too.

As for eating right, my appetite has been off and on too. All things to consider and at least I can change them.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think sleep is a huge one. Your body can't heal without adequate, quality sleep. I definitely agree with Dee - go see your dr.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi deepnblue

I felt like that for quite a while to be honest...I don't know whether it was depression or fear or what but it gradually shifted

If you're concerned tho I think you could do worse than consult with your Dr and put your mind at ease

D
Thanks Dee, to be honest just knowing that someone else has experience this is a big relief.

I suppose in some ways I thought recovery would be a bigger thing for me, that it would have more meaning, its the mundane that is a challenge for me.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found meaning again Deep, but I think I had some healing to do first you know?

I'd dug myself a pretty deep hole with my drinking, both mentally and physically - it took me a while to climb out into the sun again....but I made it.

My life's never been better now - stick with it

D
Old 04-21-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found meaning again Deep, but I think I had some healing to do first you know?

I'd dug myself a pretty deep hole with my drinking, both mentally and physically - it took me a while to climb out into the sun again....but I made it.

My life's never been better now - stick with it

D
Oh yeah, I think healing is a big thing. There is a part of me that yearns to be the person that I was before I started using even though I know that I have changed so much. Not only have I grown but trying to sort out the person I am now and from who I was when I was using is challenging.

I don't have many people left in my life (due to my addiction), coming out of this to me is like coming out of a long coma and finding out everyone you knew has moved on.

I know that its process, the climbing out of the hole. I have complete faith that the future will be fine, its the now that I'm having trouble with
Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deepnblue View Post
I suppose in some ways I thought recovery would be a bigger thing for me, that it would have more meaning, its the mundane that is a challenge for me.
Why not check out an NA meeting?...Be around some people doing what you are doing....Make some friends. Recovery can be whatever you want it to be.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Why not check out an NA meeting?...Be around some people doing what you are doing....Make some friends. Recovery can be whatever you want it to be.
True, I have to be honest, I travel frequently and am away from home for long periods of time. Without going into too much detail my work is "in the field", often in remote locations and that makes attending meetings almost impossible, or at least it feels like it does. Maybe I am just looking at it the wrong way
Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deepnblue View Post
True, I have to be honest, I travel frequently and am away from home for long periods of time. Without going into too much detail my work is "in the field", often in remote locations and that makes attending meetings almost impossible, or at least it feels like it does. Maybe I am just looking at it the wrong way
More often than not...I hear the reason that people can't attend meetings is because the town they are in is too small.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
More often than not...I hear the reason that people can't attend meetings is because the town they are in is too small.
That's understandable.

BTW, thanks everyone for the replies and thoughts.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

its the now that I'm having trouble with
LOL yep...patience was amongst the first of the qualities I needed to cultivate...

For 20 years, I was used to controlling my environment and instant gratification - it took me a while to just let things happen

D
Old 04-21-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LOL yep...patience was amongst the first of the qualities I needed to cultivate...

For 20 years, I was used to controlling my environment and instant gratification - it took me a while to just let things happen

D
Total epiphany there with the instant gratification,

How on earth did I miss that!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, whether you realize it or not, you have already achieved something remarkable!
Incredible. I have experience with working nights and I have to say, NOT NATURAL!
But, we are vulnerable and sensitive early on and being away from the hustle and bustle of daytime can be peaceful.
Try to fit in meetings.
Do be careful though.
There are people in recovery who are doing it all wrong!
LOL, just my two cents. Stay sober and stay safe and surround yourself with good people.
It is a long and winding road. There is a whole phase of adjusting your brain to not being drugged. Our minds take a while to adjust. It does get better. Dee is right about the instant gratification thing and also, we did not create the problem overnight. We are born a certain way too. Family, life, addiction, all take their toll.
We do recover.
Such wonderful possibilities await you!

Best of luck.
Anne
Old 04-21-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats on your sober time, deepnblue. I agree with the comments above that time is the answer. I'm 8 months in and my better days; being engaged, happy, etc., seem to really have started in the last month. I still spend plenty of time in apathy, or as I call it, numb, but I can feel healing a little more each day.

Stick with it, and thanks for your post. It reminded me to gauge myself in these categories.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

What changes have you made in your life since stopping drinking?

This is the time when you need to take action and move forward with your life. For example, take a course, volunteer, start an exercise program, anything that interests you could be added to your life.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Deep,
I feel like I'm justing crawling out of the chronic apathy, mixed with boredom and dread. Thinking is this sobriety???? I know exercise is helping some , got to love the natural high, but I think the real thing is time. Time to grieve the loss of my old lifestyle. Grieve the loss of my drugs and smokes-quit smoking at the same time. I'm actually having days when I gave no apathy- just a healthy zest for life that I haven't felt in years!
Have patience with yourself, it will come.
Take care,
PJ
Old 04-21-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!