Notices

Newcomer

Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

Hi just wanted to say hello as have just joined forum.
I'm 32 and my 4 pack of beer every evening after work has spiralled out of controll 8 most night and more at weekends.
I realise it affecting my health, love life, work & mental health.
I am hoping to meet others like myself and get some good advice from those who have been in my position.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Deanlad! Glad to have you with us! And congraluations for taking a great step, and reaching out. I know it can be kind of daunting at first.

Grab a snack, take a seat, and wander around this lovely place. I have found great solace and wisdom in the threads here. People are all at different places on the sobriety journey, and you will likely find you can identify with some. I know I did.

Again, welcome. Bob will surely be on here soon to recommend AA. It is extremely powerful and life changing for people. For others (like myself) different paths are helpful. Consider everything, and ask questions. Post your concerns. We can help.

Life is about to get so much better for you if you allow yourself to commit to a sober life.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Deanlad!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I was about the same age when I showed up here and in the same predicament. Lots of great people here and great advice! I spend a lot of time just reading and learning.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deanlad1980 View Post
I am hoping to meet others like myself and get some good advice from those who have been in my position.
Welcome Deanlad...You'll meet a lot of them. I was a beer drinker myself and it got completely out of control for me.....Cost me everything...If you are ready to give it up for good...This place is a great start. Glad you're here.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Dean, I'm only starting Day 5 so I know that writing that first post can be daunting. Makes the whole issue real doesn't it? I find that if I were to tell my friends and family I'm an alcoholic they would say I am being ridiculous but I guess the tolerance for alcohol and drunkenness is way too high in this country anyway. On a good night I could manage 2 bottles of wine and maybe 3 or 4 beers, but I drank everyday at least 1 bottle of wine. Throw maybe 2 nights binging in the pub into that equation and you can see it's serious intake. I'm 35 so, like you, feel I've got to change my ways now. I've been reading and posting here and find it's a great support. Hope you continue to post!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dont know if this will help or not but i did the same thing for years,in fact i would gage my ride home every day on how many beers it took to get there.Once home,i finished a 18 pack every day for years.Thankfully i never hurt anyone or got a dui but i deserved hundreds.When i hit aound 40 it started getting hard to make it to work and swing the hangovers,it was making me sick.Fortunately i was able to stop but a few years later i got addicted to pain killers and my life realy went down hill so be carefull there not kidding when they talk about addictive personalitys.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR deanlad
SR really helped me sort my life out - I hope we can help you do the same

D
Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cheers guys, reading your messages put a big grin on my face,
Great to actually speak to others in the same boat.
I'm 100% determined to knock this on the head now as I want my life back I still function work etc but sick of walking round in a haze all day waiting for when I get home and have my alcohol.
Not sure wether to cut down gradually or go complete cold turkey any advice welcomed
Old 04-20-2012, 02:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
So it goes

Well the first thing we always say on that is talk to a doctor. For some people detox can be dangerous.
Welcome Deanlad, always great to see a fellow Brit
Old 04-20-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey and Welcome!

So wonderful you reached out.
I have to say signing up here is one of the better things I have done. This place really does help. There is always someone here, something to read and a place to go.
These early days are kinda scary and lonely so I like just reading to keep myself company.

The folks here have some great things to say!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA member

to SR deanlad..
Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brickthrowing View Post
Hey and Welcome!

So wonderful you reached out.
I have to say signing up here is one of the better things I have done. This place really does help. There is always someone here, something to read and a place to go.
These early days are kinda scary and lonely so I like just reading to keep myself company.

The folks here have some great things to say!
I just read your post mate, congrats on AA meeting!
It's great to read and chat to others with the same problems although finding some stuff quite emotional.
I'm trying to find a local meeting my self for this evening after reading your post so thank you.
Friday is danger day for me
Old 04-20-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Found a meeting a mile away at 8 tonight, hope I don't feel too rough to go as its day one
And I'm nervous anyway
Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA member

deanlad the AA helpline area is 01923211122.They will be able to tell you where there is a meeting tonight.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Go to the meeting. Even just trying it out is worth a lot.

And as far as feelin' rough. Go in as rough as necessary just to get in there and be with folks that "get you"
I went in there with a raging hangover, shaking hands and chattering teeth I was so damn scared.

Im sure I didn't smell so great either but no one even batted an eye about it they still welcomed me.

Glad you are here.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brickthrowing View Post
I went in there with a raging hangover, shaking hands and chattering teeth I was so damn scared.

Im sure I didn't smell so great either but no one even batted an eye about it they still welcomed me.
You know why?....Because we've all been there.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Cheers guys looks like I can't do AA meeting tonight as garage ain't gonna be finished with car till the morning.
Gonna do something other than drink tonight avoid pub friends, and go to a meeting tomorrow.
I'm done with booze I will have my life back