Notices

Weirdo Question...

Old 04-19-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weirdo Question...

(Not sure if this question should apply to people that only have 1 week of sobriety under their belt as they may still be dealing with wd's - but anyone can pipe up here!).

Now that you guys are sober...what time do you usually go to bed at?
Are you able to fall asleep at 10pm? Do you stay up until midnight? 1am?

Just curious. Lol.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well I take Trazadone now. So I usually fall asleep after I take that. I was prescribed it because I had really severe insomnia. I had a very difficult time falling asleep without drinking. But I sleep much much better when I get sober sleep.
If you're having a tough time with insomnia you could consider it. But it's easy to become dependent on. Difficulty sleeping is pretty common after you give up drinking. Before I got put on Traz I was up until like 3/4 AM. I recommend natural supplements first if insomnia is a concern. Or just give it some time.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A bit of both for me. Here I sit at 11:55, so tonight is a late night for me. But, there are also nights where I'm tired and have no issue with hitting the pillow at 10:00.

Either way, I wake up with more energy than I ever did when I was drinking.

I sleep so well these days, it truly is amazing to me. A gift each and every day.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found I was so exhausted in the first few weeks it was 8.30 tops for me...I would often wake later then during the night, but I really needed that lying down...

These days it's regularly around 10.30-11 - sleep through til 6 or so...not usually waking up inbetween

D
Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

11:00 pm most nights -- but if I don't force myself to go bed at that time then I will easily stay up till 4 or 5 in the morning without even realizing it. I've come to realize how important a regular sleep schedule is to my recovery.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The first night I fell asleep at around 1am. Last night just after 11...now it's after midnight. I am tired...but can't fall asleep.
Mind you, I just had two huge mugs of black tea...caffeine. Bad idea. :|

I have melatonin...but I don't take stuff like that if I don't have to. Even though it is a vitamin. Not sure if I should or not?

Also...I am sitting in a dark bedroom (boyfriend is sleeping) and staring at a bright computer screen...
Can't be good for the eyes either. :/
Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd lay off the caffeine for sure....a little exercise can help too?

I don't know much about melatonin - except it's a hormone not a vitamin

It works for some and not for others - it's always a good idea to run any supplements past your Dr. I think

D
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would say almost everyone in early recovery has trouble with insomnia. I have to get up at 6.30/7 for work, so I try and make sure I'm in bed by 10.30. In an ideal world I'd go to bed at 9! I love sleep.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't see why you shouldn't take melatonin. It's a natural sleep aid. Better than taking ambien or something.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post

Now that you guys are sober...what time do you usually go to bed at?
Are you able to fall asleep at 10pm? Do you stay up until midnight? 1am?

Just curious. Lol.
My sleep has gone in streaks. First year or so, i was usually up till 1am - 3am. (I get up for work at 7am..sometimes earlier). That was NOT a "recommended" amount of sleep but......for me......that was the best I could do. I'd try to go to bed earlier but my head would rev up sooo fast sleep wasn't gonna happen.

I actually quit fighting it and just stayed up. I was tired in the AM but at least I wasn't dealing with guilt over not going to bed earlier.

Even now......obviously (it's 12:30+), I still stay up pretty late - but I don't like it. Sometimes I'm pretty good about getting to bed around 10pm or so.

Honestly....the internet in general keeps me up later than coffee or caffeine ever did. LOL. If my pc died, I'd probably have a pretty "normal" sleep life.

Looking back though, trying to FORCE a traditional sleep life (and failing) hurt me more than just submitting to my screwy sleep life and dealing with it. It's pretty common to have sleep issues for a while.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My sleep patterns have always been regularly sporadic sober (is best ) or not. I do have the luxury of being able to nap on most days to evens things out I guess.

I think being comfortable with whatever time of sleep happens or not has helped me.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have taken melatonin in the past...I was just curious if it was a good idea so early in sobriety? I am paranoid...I know. :/

DayTrader - I totally relate. I am the same way! To be honest, as I sit here...I keep surfing the net/blogging/tweeting/facebooking/emailing...I even plugged in my computer to keep it from dying as the battery was just about to go. Maybe I should have left it and went to bed. Lol.
When I drank I started early and drank quickly so I would pass out by 9pm...so I guess I am not really used to it...because before my drinking started I still stayed up pretty late at times.

I am reading too much into things, I know.
I didn't have an issue and then I kept reading on insomnia and BAM.
Yup. I'm a loser, I know. Lol.

Exercise. Yes. I did go for a walk today but maybe tomorrow I will do an actual workout. Next week I am off to the gym! So that should help! I should have had a Sleepy Time tea instead of black tea. :/
Need to get off this damn laptop!

What about people that have a few months of sobriety under their belt? Or years?
Is it still sporadic for some of you? Or is it pretty regular?

Thanks all!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post

What about people that have a few months of sobriety under their belt? Or years?
Is it still sporadic for some of you? Or is it pretty regular?

Thanks all!
Well, it's 1:20AM here in Michigan, my day will start tomorrow at 6:00 when I read a couple meditation books, my first sponsee calls at 6:30.............and I'm still up.

really, for ME, I think it's pretty simple. I'm too damn immature and/or defiant to go to bed at a decent hour. Well.....that and there might be some truth that mabye I just AM a night person. I don't know for sure but "night person" just sounds like a rationalization so it's prolly the immaturity and defiance for me............and I'm coming up on five years! lmao!!

...and NOW I'm going to bed. nitey night.

(edit.......well, maybe just ONE more cigarette......then it's bed time.....this time it'll be different for sure!) <--- pitiful, no? LOL
Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FLA

Pssshhh 10pm? 1am? I WISH! try 4am and that was at two weeks sober. I think the sleeping pattern gets messed up because your body is used to drinking at crazy hours of the night so it gets confused when your sober. Although I'm sure if I just woke up really early a few days in a row I'd probably be able to get to sleep a little earlier but I just can't seem to do it.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Immature and defiant here as well lol.

Im up usually till 2 or 3am.

But I work nights until 11 pm 4 days a week.

Its rough to wake up at my 1 year olds will thats for sure.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lately I've been going to bed much earlier like 830,9 ...I'm ten days in. I've noticed even the slightest bit of caffeine will keep me up all night...ahem, like right now. Melatonin is great but if I take it more than twice in a row it causes me to have naseau. Im getting much more sleep than I used too and it good sleep. Good luck with sobriety!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lately I've been going to bed much earlier like 830,9 ...I'm ten days in. I've noticed even the slightest bit of caffeine will keep me up all night...ahem, like right now. Melatonin is great but if I take it more than twice in a row it causes me to have naseau. Im getting much more sleep than I used too and it's good sleep. Good luck with sobriety!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Melatonin is a hormone, and really effective for some folks. Me? Gives me wicked crazy dreams, and leaves me with a funny vibe all day.

I luckily have glorious sleep now. I cuddle with my three year old at 8:30 until we both fall asleep (we are still trying to get her into her big girl bed.)

Sometimes I wake up at 2, 4, or 5. Instead of fighting it, I get up, and do something productive. Laying in bed never works for me.

Bayliss, I don't mean to sound presumtuous, but you sound a bit of an overthinker like me. :-) Sometimes it might be best to sleep when you can, get up if it isn't working, and keep on going. Sleep will come when you absolutely need it. I have a yoga DVD, and do that sometimes. More for fun, with an auxiliary benefit of relaxation.

I was given trazadone, and have used it if I MUST have solid sleep (i.e. before delivering a big presentation or being completely on my game.) My doctor said it is completely safe for recovering alcoholics, but as always here, check with your doctor first.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Used to have chronic sleep problems, but have got a lot better since getting sober, normally go to bed 1am / 2am get up 6/7 hours later, so long as I sleep for about 5 hours I am totally fine. In fact just got back from running after 6 hours in bed
Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Here it is 2am.

Hopefully the birds dont wake b4 I sleep