Can I finally relax?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can I finally relax?

I haven't posted in a long time. I am happy to say that my daughter has been sober for a couple of years. My daughter tried a little of everything during her teenage years, saw that she had a problem, and checked herself into rehab at 17 and again at 19. It wasn't easy and there was some back- sliding and I patiently waited knowing that back-sliding is part of the recovery process. With the help of this forum, and a great psychiatrist she and I are doing great. I didn't manage things the conventional way. I actually didn't manage her recovery at all. It was all her. I just got to watch and tell her that when she needed help to come to me, that I would get her the help that she needed when she was ready. I told her I couldn't do anything if she didn't want to change. One night she came to me and said she was done and needed help. It wasn't easy but she did it and I am very proud. She has finished school and even quit smoking. I never thought she would quit smoking.

It is hard to relax though, and I appreciate what everyone goes through when you love someone who is addicted. The addict has triggers but so does one who loves an addict. I still cringe when she is out at night, wondering if she is slipping back into old ways. Certain things trigger the worry and concern. I don't worry as much, knowing that it is not my problem to fix but it so hard not to worry about someone whom you love.

I never thought parenting and watching a child make dreadful mistakes would be so hard. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I just hope that it is all over and I can finally relax.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's always great to hear when things are going well. Thank you for sharing.

You and your dear daughter will be in my prayers.

gentle hugs
ke