Freedom - Language of Letting Go

Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Freedom - Language of Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Freedom

Many of us were oppressed and victimized as children. As adults, we may continue to keep ourselves oppressed.

Some of us don't recognize that caretaking and not setting boundaries will leave us feeling victimized.

Some of us don't understand that thinking of ourselves as victims will leave us feeling oppressed.

Some of us don't know that we hold the key to our own freedom. That key is honoring ourselves, and taking care of ourselves.

We can say what we mean, and mean what we say.

We can stop waiting for others to give us what we need and take responsibility for ourselves. When we do, the gates to freedom will swing wide.

Walk through.

Today, I will understand that I hold the key to my freedom. I will stop participating in my oppression and victimization. I will take responsibility for myself, and let others do as they may.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

For me, I found freedom the moment I walked through the doors of my first meeting. That was when I knew that I had stepped out of living in the problem (my son's addiction) and into living in the solution (my recovery). I went from being a victim to becoming a survivor, and the emotion I felt brought me to tears.

It sounds easy but it wasn't. I was a heels-dug-in codie who thought I could "fix" my son, if I just tried long enough and hard enough. What happened instead was that he remained the same and I was sinking deeper into his darkness. It was like a tug of war and I was losing no matter how hard I pulled at the rope of reason.

He wasn't responsible for my freedom, I was. I held the key all along. When I learned that, I began to live life again as a free and peaceful human being.

Hugs
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann,
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ann
I always enjoy reading your posts.

I will take responsibility for myself and let others do as they may

That one sentence pretty well sums it up. Choosing not to continue to try to fix everyone else....letting them do as they may......gives me the energy and time to concentrate on fixing me. Choosing not to participate in another's self destruction is not a judgement of their character, it's self preservation.

Thanks for sharing this today.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-18-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Kindeyes
Choosing not to participate in another's self destruction is not a judgement of their character, it's self preservation.
Amen, sister.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Ann, thanks. I ordered it this morning.