Notices

Doctor taking me off benzos cold turkey??

Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doctor taking me off benzos cold turkey??

I am a drug addict, my DOC is opiates. I have not used an opiate in nearly a month and have not used suboxone for over a week now. I am so proud of myself and I have a lot riding on my sobriety. I have also been on prescribed benzos for the past 5 months. Started on .5mg Ativan 3x a day and escalated all the way to 1mg xanax 3x a day. When I first met my Psychiatrist we agreed that once we found a non-narcotic med that helps with my anxiety and depression, he would ween me off the benzos. I liked this idea because I know benzos are bad news.

Well, I finally found a med that has worked wonderfully for me. The anxiety is practically gone and my depression is better as well. So I called up my Psychiatrist and said hey I have two of my xanax left, and I'm ready to begin my taper to get off of them. He then told me that a taper isn't necessary because I'm on "such a low dose". I told him that I wanted to stick to the plan of tapering and didn't feel it was safe to cold turkey. He wouldn't change his mind. I even told him that I spend 15 hours a week in my car driving delivering pizzas and was concerned that going cold turkey may cause me to have a seizure while driving...not to mention I was in a serious car accident less than two weeks ago.

I am scared not only about having a seizure but that withdrawal will be bad enough that I will relapse. I am obviously very new to sobriety and if I have to endure a cold turkey benzo w/d I'm almost certain I will relapse. I told him this and he still would not change his mind. Am I just overly concerned about the withdrawal like the doctor and some friends have told me? Or am I right to want to taper down so minimize withdrawal.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quitting can be tough mentally, sometimes even harder than than it is physically. Your doctor is the expert - why not trust his advice?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe you could ask another doctor if you should ween down before stopping altogether. Doctors are supposed to know but it couldnt hurt to get a second opinion
Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your Distant Friend

I'm trying to get ON benzos right now, and maybe I shouldn't - because everyone says they can be abused and such , and the physical withdrawal is a bit harsh. (I have a separate post on this topic but no experience taking them regularly). I would be upset at my doctor if he wasn't able to work with me on scaling things down off of anything prescribed, since its generally a best practice,t I guess he/she had good reasons - but I would certainly want to know what those reasons are.. if you find yourself into a predicament, You might have to resort to planned meditation and deep breathing excercises, avoid stressful situations as much as possible to deal with such a transition.. good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't imagine why the doctor would've changed his mind. I took 1mg ativan twice a day for 3 months and still experienced terrible withdrawals. I didn't have a psychiatrist at the time, and was simply prescribed it for alcohol withdrawals. . . Of course the doctor I saw said "If taking this will stop you from drinking, I will just keep prescribing it to you" and so he did; for three months. By then I had decided I could drink with them. Stopped drinking and ran out of ativan. I didn't want to take it anymore because I know it is just as dangerous as alcohol. . . . So I tried quitting cold turkey and ended up in rehab, getting tapered off of it for only 8 days, but I was SO much more comfortable during those 8 days than I was the 2 prior days I had tried cold turkey.

Being on a higher dose than I was, I'd certainly consider talking to your psychiatrist in person, or seeking a second opinion. That stuff is no good. Also I'm interested in what medication you've found to be helping with your anxiety/depression. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Seroquel is the medication that has worked wonders for me. At first my doctor went overboard with the dosage, 400mg a day. Had me zonked out, walked like a zombie, slow movements, slept a lot. This was when I was in the Psychiatric hospital. Upon my release I requested that he lower the dose because there was no way I could safely drive a car or function well at work on such a dose. I currently take 50mg in the morning, 50mg in the afternoon, and 100mg at night.

It's been about 3 weeks since I started this medication and my body has adjusted to it very well. I sleep well but do not oversleep and am not groggy throughout the day. I feel virtually no anxiety (whereas before I still felt anxiety even after taking my benzos), my mood has increased pretty well. For the first time in years I feel like doing things I used to love, feel like socializing, going out into the world and actually living-not just surviving. I still have days that aren't the greatest but overall this has been a miracle drug for me and I have long been against taking psychiatric meds.

Anyway, about the Psychiatrist, googled him, he has nothing but bad reviews. In fact everyone I've spoken to that knows him does not recommend his service. I chose him because several of my family members had seen him and I was in such a bad mental state when I was looking for a doctor that I just took the first one mentioned to me. He obviously does not care about my well being. It is clear to me that he judges me because I am a drug addict. I don't need a doc that's going to use passive aggression against me because I have the disease of addiction. I need a doctor that understands addiction and is not judgmental of my use. I need a doctor that is going to support my decision to taper off a med that I feel I no longer need. The xanax helped me through some really rough times, but I have worked on some issues and I now feel I can move forward in life without this medication. I have googled local Psychiatrists and have found one that is highly recommended that I will call tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Xanax...wicked stuff. I wouldn't trust a doctor who would make you go cold turkey without being fully aware of the problems that could cause.

BUT...you have not been on them long and the dosage isn't extreme. I cold turkey-ed off off 20 milligrams of Klonopin. Not pretty.

So during the three months that I was in physical and mental agony, I read everything I could about benzo withdrawal. I am no doctor, and I don't mean to give you medical advice, but if you could just tuck in and ride it out, you might find it's not too difficult.

Many, many people can detox from benzos with no problem. I think the real hurt comes from long-term use and high dosage.

Again...Any doctor who think you will have no problem going cold turkey scares me, but unless you try you won't know, 'eh?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttofeelok View Post
Seroquel is the medication that has worked wonders for me. At first my doctor went overboard with the dosage, 400mg a day. Had me zonked out, walked like a zombie, slow movements, slept a lot. This was when I was in the Psychiatric hospital. Upon my release I requested that he lower the dose because there was no way I could safely drive a car or function well at work on such a dose. I currently take 50mg in the morning, 50mg in the afternoon, and 100mg at night.
Not to take over the thread but I'm on 400mg daily (once at night) and it's my maintenance dose. It's been a wonderful drug for me. I work full time in a busy job, drive etc. However, I started 4 years ago on a tiny dose - maybe 25mg and worked up over a period of weeks to 100, stayed there about a year, and then it's increased to 400 since then. I've been up to 500 but I still don't get the zombie effect that many people report, however I think they are people who get prescribed a high dose right off the bat.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not to take over the thread but I'm on 400mg daily (once at night) and it's my maintenance dose. It's been a wonderful drug for me. I work full time in a busy job, drive etc. However, I started 4 years ago on a tiny dose - maybe 25mg and worked up over a period of weeks to 100, stayed there about a year, and then it's increased to 400 since then. I've been up to 500 but I still don't get the zombie effect that many people report, however I think they are people who get prescribed a high dose right off the bat.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So I called up my Psychiatrist and said hey I have two of my xanax left, and I'm ready to begin my taper to get off of them. He then told me that a taper isn't necessary because I'm on "such a low dose". I told him that I wanted to stick to the plan of tapering and didn't feel it was safe to cold turkey.
If you only have two left....Are you trying to get more so you can taper?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A lot of medical advice here in my opinion.
Before you read these online reviews, what did you think?
He may get bad reviews because he is not easily manipulated.
He may be of the opinion that tapering is just as hard as cold-turkey.
He might be right?
You sound like you have done really well lately.
Give yourself a pat on the back for that. It is hard work. Be brave and strong.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Argonaut

There are very different opinions, even between doctors, on how to withdraw from benzo's. I am still on 2,5 mg Valium a day, way down from the 20-30mg I used to take. Currently I am on a stable dose but I had withdrawal symptoms when I tapered too fast (for example from 7,5 to 5mg in one week).

But reading your first post, I think that your worst fear is seizures? Seizures are extremely rare and would occur only if you had abused benzo's for years at very high doses.

You can read an interesting study from Professor Ashton here: benzo.org.uk : Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: An Unfinished Story, Prof CH Ashton, DM, FRCP, 1984 Even patients that had taken benzo's for years did not experience major convulsions.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would recommend you find another doctor. Tapering is essential when getting off benzos. The dosage should be 1/4 mg taper every two weeks.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My daughter cold turkey'd herself off Klonopin. She ended up in the hospital in severe pain and 103 fever. Morphine and IV fluids for 3 days before she was released.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ok. A little update. I found out that all the psychiatrists in my area all work for the same behavior service. I called to try to switch to another doctor and they told me I could not change doctors. I told them my circumstance and how I felt I was being mistreated by my doctor and they treated me with no respect saying once you choose a doctor you cannot change.

So I did some research and found a psychiatrist 45 minutes away, called and had a discussion with them. I have an appointment with them on Monday and they said they would have to talk to me first but that it was likely I would walk out with a script to taper off that day.

I found 8mg Ativan from an old script I had so I took 2mg a day 2 days ago and yesterday, and plan on taking 1mg each day up to my appointment. So far I am experiencing some withdrawal symptoms but it has not been unbearable. The strangest one was hearing voices while trying to fall asleep. I have never heard voices in my head before so this was a little unsettling. I hope I will make it through the weekend until I can see the new doctor, and I hope they are able to help me.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hope so too. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I'm glad you listened to your instincts and found someone else to help you. I only took benzos for a short period of time (during detox and a couple of weeks after), so I didn't experience withdrawals when I quit. But I've heard plenty of horror stories about people trying to get off of them. If you have any problems over the weekend, please don't hesitate to go to a hospital or urgent care. There's no point in suffering if you don't have to. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hearing voices is not an abnormal symptom when you're withdrawing or reducing meds. It's more common than you might think even in people who don't take any kind of medication. It's one of the first things I asked my shrink about when I first started seeing her - I had heard voices at night since I was a child. She said if I don't find them disturbing or invasive, there's nothing to worry about. Now I take a medication that has a side effect of stopping the voices.