Notices

Honestly what would you do if alcohol was harmless?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FLA

Honestly what would you do if alcohol was harmless?

I read a old thread similar to my question so I figured I'd re ask it a little differently.
If alcohol had ZERO negative health effects and didn't cause ANY harm to your body physically or mentally would you drink? Would you stop your sobriety that you've earned and start drinking again? Like I said alcohol would not cause withdrawals, hangovers, or any negative health effects.
I'm guessing this may be a controversial topic, but I'm curious to everyones opinions.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLA View Post
If alcohol had ZERO negative health effects and didn't cause ANY harm to your body physically or mentally would you drink?
It's a fun fantasy, but if alcohol didn't hurt you in any way it would be called water.

Now that I'm sober I can see that inebriation is a down side to alcohol, not a benefit.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Of course I would I am a alcoholic. But why wonder about things that just are not real.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a lot more problems with alcohol then just physical effects FLA.

I neglected responsibilities, I let down people I loved...I look back at my drinking years now and compare them to my sober years - I wasted a lot of time and a lot of potential.

I was selfish, I was manipulative and immature...I was paranoid and mistrustful and deeply deeply cynical...

I was deathly scared of feeling feelings - I tried to 'escape' so much I never gave myself a chance to grow.

so no - I wouldn't go back. There was nothing harmless in the way I used alcohol - or other drugs, comes to that.

There's a lot more to addiction than hangovers and feeling sick or any of the other physical damage, bad as that is - you must have experienced some of what I'm talking about FLA?

D
Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FLA

Like I said dee none of those negative things you just mentioned would happen on my hypothetical question. But yes I do relate to some of the things you mentioned. I my self am still trying to figure out what I was numbing by drinking and I'm starting to get to the conclusion that I was scared to grow up, I didn't want responsibility I wanted to be 16 for forever. I also just liked to drink so I could act like a complete idiot and not give a sh-t. But anyways..... This thread is all hypothetical.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said dee none of those negative things you just mentioned would happen on my hypothetical question.
so you're talking getting drunk without any consequences?
LOL I think you just described the dream of every alcoholic who ever lived, man....

D
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it's a good & valid question. When I first quit it was because I had a withdrawal seizure and I was afraid of what else might happen. It was helpful for me to consider ALL the reasons that drinking was the wrong choice.
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

In a word, no.
I already drank my quota. My damage was done, my time lost, my life sidetracked for years. I don't fondly wish, I already did.
  # 9 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
It's a fun fantasy, but if alcohol didn't hurt you in any way it would be called water.
That gets my vote.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool. I love rephrasing stuff. Let's see....

"I don't drink."
"No way."
"Not a chance."
"Seriously? And blow this good thing I have going?"
"None for me, thanks."
"Damn this milk tastes great!"
"Don't be ridiculous."
"That would make me a hypocrite."
"That's sooooo 2010."
"I'd rather enjoy myself."
"I'm great just the way I am."
"That's good news I guess, but I still don't drink."

See, I quit unconditionally. I'm done. Every now and then these threads pop up on SR. "Imagine you found out the world is going to end tomorrow—would you drink?" "Pretend you're on death row, and you're about to order your last meal...." And the all-time most popular alcoholic fantasy, "Imagine you could just drink normally..."

Normally. What does that mean, anyway? Humans were on this planet a long, long, long time before they discovered alcohol. No other animal seeks out alcohol (except for lab animals that are initially forced to consume it). We spend our entire childhoods without ever thinking, "I could use a good buzz right now."

In any event, I will not drink again under any circumstances. Not in your wildest dreams, and certainly not in mine.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your Distant Friend

If alcohol was found to be wonderfully healthy and the FDA publshed supporting evidence I would buy stock in some alcohol companies and make money off the health tip. (actually drinking 1 glass a wine once a week with diner has good medical evidence for the activity). But I wouldn't trust myself with even 1, because it's poison to me! I think this is why people consider it an allergy. Leave it to an alcoholic to do something healthy the wrong way.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
So it goes

If it had no side effects?
nah it wouldnt have been the fun it seemed at the time
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'd never came here if it was harmless, I'd be in a bar fight not getting hurt, or drunk behind the wheel not being dangerous or maybe buying all the beer I could since it wouldnt make me go broke.

I'd drink at work since my boss wouldnt care, I'd drink at weddings, funnerals and everywhere else like it was Cocacola.

I'd have no reason to not drink, it would be harmless... but it probably wouldnt get me drunk enough because I drink until the real problems are hidden, until I can forget whats bothering me or until I feel the way I want to feel, ya know, until it does harm me, so if it was harmless, I probably wouldnt be interested.

But I was interested, it harmed me, now I'm here, and I dont drink, at all.

Remember, dreams are just dreams...
Old 04-17-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think if that was true we would find a way to abuse it eventruly after all you dont see people rushing to the pharmacy trying to fill there blood pressure meds. a week early, they dont do anything.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I read a old thread similar to my question so I figured I'd re ask it a little differently.
If alcohol had ZERO negative health effects and didn't cause ANY harm to your body physically or mentally would you drink? Would you stop your sobriety that you've earned and start drinking again? Like I said alcohol would not cause withdrawals, hangovers, or any negative health effects.
I'm guessing this may be a controversial topic, but I'm curious to everyones opinions.
No because I don't particularly like the taste of it, I drank for effect, to get inebriated
Old 04-18-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Alcohol without ANY negative consequences doesn't really make sense to me. In this theoretical scenario, it would still get me DRUNK, right? Well then there you have it. I did a lot of stupid things when I was drunk. Things that made me feel constantly guilty, embarrassed, and ashamed. Like Dee, I would shrug off a lot of life responsibilities when drinking, and isolate myself from friends and family. Spiritually and emotionally, alcohol stunted me. There's no way to get around those facts, no matter what fantasy we're dreaming up here. Take away alcohol's effects, and like GirlfromCO said, we'd be talking about water.

Any substance which alters my mind and keeps me from living my life as it should be lived will negatively affect my life.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If alcohol had ZERO negative health effects and didn't cause ANY harm to your body physically or mentally would you drink?
I think if you told me playing with a loaded gun was safe...I'd still put it down.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You're young FLA, towards the end of my drinking days there was very little actual enjoyment in drinking, I drank just to keep 'functioning'. It would take me many, many drinks to get the same effect just a few would early in my drinking career, and not long after that I didn't remember much anyway. I just lost a lot of time in my life. But it seems to me you have good reasons to quit for yourself now, I may have in retrospect if I'd known where it would go, I sure know I am very happy when I see a young person avoiding the damage.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

If there were no negative consequences I don't think I would have been an alcoholic in the first place. Do you know anyone that's addicted to tea or fruit juice?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

your not quite correct readyandable.
i saw a programe wher in africa ,the elephants and monkeys ,get blitzed on fermenting berries ..they get hammered and the next day when they sober up they go back for more ,until all the berries have been eaten...very funny to watch