Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Is it unhealthy for suicide to be a comforting thought?

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It is often reported that people are unusually happy in the days or hours preceding their suicide. It is suspected that this is because the person has made the decision and has the weight in their life lifted from their shoulders. I think that theory has some truth to it. Very often I will find myself thinking about suicide in order to comfort myself. In fact, sometimes I fantasize about suicide in order to fall asleep. I don't mean this in a depressing way. It's an exhilarating, and freeing feeling to think about it. However, in my sober moments I'm afraid I see the dangers of this and how it could turn fatal. Can any of you relate to these experiences and/or addictions? If so, what is your story, and what is your input on the subject? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nothing is ever worth taking your life for. Please do not let those thoughts linger...do what it takes to realize you deserve a full life of recovery. If you need someone to talk you thru those feelings....please...please...consider calling the U.S National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. call 1-800-273-8255.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
It is often reported that people are unusually happy in the days or hours preceding their suicide.
For me, the feelings of peace and comfort that preceded my attempt were very real. My grasp on reality was also extremely tenuous. I fully understand what you are saying about the exhilaration, etc...death has never scared me, it's living that has scared me. Today it is far more exhilarating to face the challenges of life head on and have no fear.

Lingering on suicide ideations is very dangerous and can indeed turn fatal very quickly.

I agree with RWF. Contact a professional. Now.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

The thought of suicide would kick my heart rate (and bp) way up, I didn't feel very calm or comforted as I generally have a loaded .38 pistol sitting nearby.
Thank God those thoughts have gone away, along with the drink & drugs.
Hope you can talk things over with someone and get back to living well.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please speak to someone about this and get some professional help
Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think the simple answer to this is yes.

But I can relate. I don't think I ever fully intended to commit suicide but I have found those thoughts comforting. It was a fantasy for me. But somewhere I'd rather not go anymore...it's not a good place to be. I think a lot of my depression was caused by alcohol but it's early days so I'm working hard to avoid those dark places.

Please talk to someone if you can x
Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

It's not healthy, but it's not uncommon either.

Suicidal ideology is many people's "mental" drug of choice, but like using anything to numb ourselves to reality, it can become an out of hand addiction, and end up killing us.

I discovered that suicide is one of the things I am addicted to, the sweet soft thrill I can get fantasizing over it.

This link might help you http://suicideanonymous.net/uploads/...ET_ok_copy.pdf

It's a real issue, you are not alone, there is a 12 step for it.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what else I can say that hasn't already been said.

I frequently have suicidal ideation too, and I often find it comforting because it provides me with a sense of peace that I can escape the pain that I am in. At those times, I try to remind myself that, while suicide ends all pain, it also ends all possibility of joy and that I simply do not know what the next moment might bring until I have lived through it. I try no to promise myself good things, but remaining curious about the future helps.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your Distant Friend

It is often reported that people are unusually happy in the days or hours preceding their suicide. It is suspected that this is because the person has made the decision and has the weight in their life lifted from their shoulders. I think that theory has some truth to it.
I agree 100% with this theory, because it seems accurate analysis and no other explanations come to mind for the observation of those reports.

Very often I will find myself thinking about suicide in order to comfort myself.
Based on that theory alone, I would have to guess
that you must have made a conscious decision to take your life
each and every time you comfort yourself with the idea.

Ever hear of the story of the boy who cried wolf?

.. in other words ..

DONT do it.

AND you are running a serious risk of doing it just to prove to yourself or someone else that you are not a coward, which is probably the worst reason ever in the book, and, sadly, you wouldn't be the first person who went out like that...

Life is where its at!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
a southern belle

Suicide should never be a comfort...seek the help you need for healthy comfort. Good love...mags
Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes.
In my experience the thoughts/ideation came as a way to momentarily provide mental relief from the pain and depression I was feelijng in my life.
Please get some preofessional help. Laying in bed and thinking about suicide while falling asleep/ suicidal thoughts providing comfort is NOT NORMAL. I wish you the best.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ditto to most of what's been written. I have frequent suicidal ideation, it feels like a comfort blanket, it's dangerous.

When I get it I want to sit alone with it, sort of getting "high" on it. Instead I share it as soon as possible with mental health professionals and safe people in recovery. I've also used The Samaritans when I haven't been able to reach anyone else, in the middle of the night sometimes, to get a reality check ASAP.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Want to form an alliance? :.)

It's not the suicidal thoughts that comfort you, "Babydoll", but rather, the Escapism. This in and of itself is perfectly normal and sometimes quite healthy.

But that aside for a second, it could be argued that 2 often hard-to-notice abstractions have unfolded in this thread:
A.) Mislabeling your emotional misunderstanding of what your psychological representations have conveyed.
B.) Contingent upon the above, you've become a victim of miscommunication--something we all do from time-to-time (communicating can be very difficult and almost always taken for granted).

You should consider whether you're effectively establishing solid distinctions between what you're interpreting as suicide and that of what it symbolized to you in the end.

What's I think is happening here is that you're skipping a step in this entire introspective process by fantasizing about doing something stupid without leveling the playing field of actual, real-life outcome. So instead of being real about it--envisioning the blood, the trauma, the visceral shock and horror of doing something rash and selfish like putting a bullet through your head and brain or slitting your wrists until your exposed skin and tenuous veins gush blood all over yourself and your carpet, in turn, leaving your loved ones behind in a dismal, grief-stricken wake of despair and unexplained horror--you're instead glazing over that *tiny bit of detail* and substituting it with what your fantasy seems to have ideally engineered for you in order to help you cope with a pain you've yet to completely identify and comprehend about yourself, your reality; whatever. All this (in your mind) basically equates to, "kill ourselves but skip over the realness of it all and go straight to the wonderful reprieve of happy ending, perpetual freedom, and surreal circumvention of life's misery."

Make sense?

And as for the other thing, well, your current vocabulary and definitions thereof mistakenly translated all this stuff into, "I get off on killing myself and it makes me feel better... Am I weird?"

...add insecurity to the mix.

With all this in mind, sure, like others have implied or stated directly, it can't hurt to speak to someone about some of this. I mean, it doesn't traditionally hurt to... Just make sure you get with someone you like to speak to whom you believe understands you and makes you feel better about things (after 3 or 4 sessions, that is--this would be a decent approximation of clinical compatibility).

What you could do in the meantime is ask yourself, "What exactly is it I'm trying to escape from?" If you think hard about it, I bet you'll come up with some things you wouldn't normally acknowledge. Scan your emotions. Test to see what things you've overlooked or become somewhat numb or oblivious to... Nothing is off the table here. Take an emotionally reactive inventory.

(And I hope none of this stuff I wrote offended you... I have the tendency of speaking somewhat "folksy" at times when I really probably shouldn't, especially when using digital mediums to communicate with. In any event, I hope it helps provide you with some alternative perspectives and food for thought--I kind of think I know what you're experiencing because I've gone through similar stuff like this myself.)

Best wishes.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you read this, read it all.

Originally Posted by DrStrangelove View Post
It is often reported that people are unusually happy in the days or hours preceding their suicide. It is suspected that this is because the person has made the decision and has the weight in their life lifted from their shoulders. I think that theory has some truth to it. Very often I will find myself thinking about suicide in order to comfort myself. In fact, sometimes I fantasize about suicide in order to fall asleep. I don't mean this in a depressing way. It's an exhilarating, and freeing feeling to think about it. However, in my sober moments I'm afraid I see the dangers of this and how it could turn fatal. Can any of you relate to these experiences and/or addictions? If so, what is your story, and what is your input on the subject? Thanks.
I don't necessarily think it's healthy, but I know where your coming from. I have incorperated this into my treatment as it comforts me in the idea that if things get to the point that I just can't deal anymore, there is a way out. I know most will not understand this, and some will criticize it, but I find it relaxes me. And gives me the ability to carry on. I currently see a Psych on a regular basis. But I certainly think it's a bad idea to not seek out proffesional help to learn how to employ it in a more heathy manner. This is a very dangerous road to go down. DON'T GO DOWN IT ALONE. I've been at this for so long time that I'm to the point that if it works do it. My Dr does not neccesarily condone it, but says it's not the first time he's come across it. I am in no way reccomending this, just that it works for me. But if your having the same feelings I can't stress it enough GET HELP.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi DrStrangeLove,
The title of your thread made me laugh (0:
I think you know it's probably unhealthy for suicide to be a comforting thought! I think we all know that! But it has been a comforting thought for me too at times - the fantasy of being able to just leave it all behind, all the too-hard things, all the sorrow/guilt/anger/shame in just the same way as the thought of going to a new country and starting anew is also a comforting thought, but maybe a healthier one than suicide!
I don't think I ever seriously contemplated actually doing it, but it did comfort me when I became overwhelmed or could see no way out of a bad situation.
I think the Buddhists completely put me off that one as they teach that the state of mind you are in when you die is what will lead you to the place you're going to - so if you're miserable that doesn't bode well.
And also it makes you realise we have the opportunity in this life to face up to and overcome those overwhelming situations - where there's life there's hope! And that's always true.
There's always hope for enlightenment, for a change of heart, for unexpected events that change your world for the better.
If you see the problems as a challenge they're easier to deal with than just seeing obstacle after obstacle, and you get to feel good about yourself when you come to grips with something you never thought you could or would.
It's harder for us in the west because we're raised to think we should be happy and have it all or else we're a loser, but methinks that is a load of ****!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Very well put wolf 22.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Me Too

I too struggle with suicidal fantasies to get relief from a painful life. I’m going to start to say no in my mind when those thoughts come in. Reading the forum was good for me. It helped to know I’m not the only one with this issue.

I am a person of faith so I know these thoughts are very dangerous even if I think they aren’t.

I’m a believer in prayer so I’m going to start praying for God to help (He’s helped me break unhealthy thoughts before--why not this area?—I can’t do it on my own) me break this 40 year old stress reliever habit.

Thank you fellow forum contributors.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dogs - good to have you join us.
I'm sorry for the pain in your life but you've found a place of great support friendship and understanding

D
Old 06-20-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Dogs! I used to find comfort in planning my suicide but that never happens anymore. I hope you can find some comfort and support here. You're among friends here.