Notices

New to sobriety with marriage trouble

Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to sobriety with marriage trouble

Hi all-

I just got home from a 30 day treatment center and am having some trouble readjusting to my home life. I went to some great meetings during treatment (in another state) but haven't been able to find any that are comparable since I've been back. I know I just need to keep shopping around though. I am also kind of surprised that at every meeting I've raised my hand and said I needed a sponsor, and not one person has approached me about it. I have been sober 46 days today and I'm already feeling like a dry drunk!

My husband expected me to come home a completely different person and we have been fighting non-stop since I got home. He wants me to understand what he's going through and what my alcoholism has done to our family, and I feel that I can't really deal with that right now! I've only been home a little over a week. I am so frustrated!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Violet

I think early recovery is a time of great change, both for us and our loved ones - it's probably just as bewildering and tumultuous for them as it is for us - maybe sometimes even more?

I think all that applies whether we go to rehab or not.

I hope things will settle down for you soon - and I hope you find the meeting and sponsor you're looking for

I know you'll find a lot of support here anyway - welcome

D
Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Vilolet,

Hang in there.
Read around here. It will help a lot.
Try not to handle everything at once.
Mind yourself.
Try to avoid any arguments at the moment.
The sponsor thing will work out in it's own time.
I just made a lot of sober friends at first. Take support from all of them.
Try to stick with women for close/ private chats.
You are really welcome at the meetings. Meetings are different, but the same.
Big hug from Ireland!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

AA and Al Anon may help you both. Keep trying other meetings or call the hotline and ask for suggestions.

Prayers,
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Violet,

I hope you continue to focus on your recovery. I know it's hard, but your husband and family have gone through a lot too and they are hoping for the best, so try to be patient as you all work things through.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Violet. Congratulations on your 46 days. Things are bound to get better - it's early days yet. You're still healing (& your husband too). I like the idea of Al-Anon for him - they can help so much.

Hopefully, being part of SR will give you chance to relieve some of your anxiety. You're among friends who truly understand you and what you've gone through.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Violet - congrats on your sobriety!

I did 30 days in rehab as well, and I know how much of a culture shock it is to come home. It's difficult for spouses to understand, though...... sometimes they're even jealous that we got to go off while they had to stay and deal with everything.

I think all we can do is to be honest about what we're going through and be willing to hear them out, too (maybe choose a time when emotions aren't running so high).

I hope for the best for you......
Old 04-16-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Violet, this is a great place to be for advice. Keep up the good work on your sobriety!

I know things seem bad for you right now in your home life, and one thing I know for sure is drinking will not help the situation. You can do it! I believe in you.:ghug3