Notices

The Start

Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Start

Hey everyone,
I'm relatively new here. I been 2 weeks dry on the dot. Some days are easier than others, but I was wondering at what point some of you have "normalized". I have no problem in committing to my sobriety. In fact, my parents who I stay with keep wine around the house which at times I'm tempted just to snag to end the cravings, but I don't. No one really seems to believe I'm an alcoholic (which I am). I've been drunk for about 2 years give or take. 2011 was basically detoxing and falling back off, but I never made the real commitment. I know I can never drink again, and at this point I don't care. I just want to get out of this rut and be leveled out again. I gone to social gatherings where alcohol was present but never gave in. I can be around alcohol and not drink. It doesn't bother me. It's just the late night craving and depression. When has it (as every case is different), subsided for some of you?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well I am only 3 1/2 months but I would say after 2 I really felt better.

Welcome aboard
Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congrats on two weeks and welcome to SR!

For me, I had to remove myself from my old environment, old friends and old life. I couldn't be around booze at all for several months. I just hit one year sober, and I would never allow myself to live in a house that has alcohol, precisely because of the things you said: those late night cravings and depression and feelings of loneliness.

I don't think I really started to live a normal life until I changed my life to make it conducive to long term sobriety and recovery. Whenever I tried to live my old life but just remove booze from the equation I was miserable. IMO, getting sober is a lot more than just quitting drinking. It's a change in lifestyle. My whole life was organized around drinking, so in order to feel any real change in my life I had to completely reorganize it.

Best wishes,
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I gone a month, but after that I tried moderation out which I actually did so successfully for about a month (Feb.). I was gritting my teeth though. It was then when I realized I was having cravings around early March, I knew, "Okay, I'm an alkie." Plus, when I caught myself treating drinking like it was Weight Watchers, I started to see a problem within itself. But the thing is I just read American on Purpose which is written by Craig Ferguson, a reformed alcoholic. He was actually able to be around drinkers in his book, as I am I. Now when I say drinkers, I mean mainly those who are moderating, though he did have a friend who like wine more than it liked him. For some reason it doesn't bother me if other people drink around me. I guess I see at as an allergy for me. Like, I'm a diabetic, yes I can go to the party, but I can't have the cake. Good news is, I haven't lost any friends since most of them are not what I call "drinkers". But when I was going a month I actually wanted to extend my abs for another week, but a friend wanted me to celebrate my month sobriety at a bar (alcoholic logic is funny sometimes). But now I'm making a life long commitment.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lockhart View Post
Thanks. I gone a month, but after that I tried moderation out which I actually did so successfully for about a month (Feb.). I was gritting my teeth though. It was then when I realized I was having cravings around early March, I knew, "Okay, I'm an alkie." Plus, when I caught myself treating drinking like it was Weight Watchers, I started to see a problem within itself. But the thing is I just read American on Purpose which is written by Craig Ferguson, a reformed alcoholic. He was actually able to be around drinkers in his book, as I am I. Now when I say drinkers, I mean mainly those who are moderating, though he did have a friend who like wine more than it liked him. For some reason it doesn't bother me if other people drink around me. I guess I see at as an allergy for me. Like, I'm a diabetic, yes I can go to the party, but I can't have the cake. Good news is, I haven't lost any friends since most of them are not what I call "drinkers". But when I was going a month I actually wanted to extend my abs for another week, but a friend wanted me to celebrate my month sobriety at a bar (alcoholic logic is funny sometimes). But now I'm making a life long commitment.
Hey Lockhart..Welcome. I've heard you are making a commitment....My question is...To what? You mention Craig Ferguson....I believe he uses the program of AA...Like I do. I don't mind being around people that drink now...I don't go look for them...But they don't bother me. I worked the same 12 steps that he did....They prepare you for being able to do that. At two weeks you say you've been to social gatherings where alcohol is served...My question is....Why? I think if you are making a life long committment.....There has to something that you are committing yourself to. I wish you the best.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was at the gathering because my friend is graduating and we are really tight. But I've overall committed to to ending drinking.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lockhart View Post
I was at the gathering because my friend is graduating and we are really tight. But I've overall committed to to ending drinking.
I wish you the best...There are different recovery methods you can use...Some have their own forums on this site....It can't hurt you to look into them. Anything you can use to help you out is worth it.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm a month and a little over a week sober and i still get little twinges of craves from time to time. Habit mostly. When that happens i read the Big Book or the 12 & 12meeting or call my sponsor.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It takes me about 1 week to normalize my body and mind. Learn how to get pass the 1 month bump is an other thing. Get help with that and how I will stay sober for now on.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking, and ths is a good place for support.

I choose to not be around people who are drinking because my life has moved in different directions in the years that I've been sober.