Notices

Racing thoughts in the empty space between my ears...

Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Racing thoughts in the empty space between my ears...

Does anyone know that feeling you get when you realize you've leaned too far back in your chair?

I feel it every night when I'm trying to fall asleep. That and constant racing thoughts with no "off" switch. I've gone days with no sleep. Recently, almost a week straight (6 days/nights). Finally, my brain just shut down, and I slept for four hours straight. Felt like heaven, even though I was two hours late for work, as I slept straight through my alarm. This isn't like me because I'm hypervigilant and always aware of rogue sounds (a PTSD thing). I fear sleep, yet crave it (and need it) so much.

My doc says the hallucinations I'm experiencing aren't related to real psychosis (I figured this), and that they're the result of sleep deprivation (figured this, too). I've thought (and still do think) that they're also possibly the result of depression. She prescribed valium, which I wasn't happy about, even though benzos aren't my drugs of choice. I told her my hesitation, having cold-turkeyed two benzos (ativan and klonopin, which were prescribed for me 14 years ago) over a month ago. Told her I wanted to remain drug-free. I was desperate enough for sleep that I took them.

They alleviated that "leaning too far back in your chair" feeling. Now though, I'm just tossing and turning calmly, without that pit in my stomach. Should I be grateful for this at least?

I could've broken my arm patting myself on the back for quitting the oxys 37 days ago (my drug of choice), even though the journey has just begun. But now I'm feeling guilty for taking the valium, even though I have no desire to abuse it.

Ack. I'm dreading that thought-racing, worry-filled time I'll spend in bed tonight, as I have to work tomorrow and pretty much need to be mentally present tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmm, can't play doctor here, and so I won't... I will tell you that you should trust your instincts when it comes to the benzos... There are other sleep meds available that will suit your needs, maybe you and your doctor could discuss that some more??

I had racing thoughts when I first started out in recovery... For a few months. They go away.

Of all the things that can help, for me, exercise and music helped the most.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that lack of sleep is miserable and that it feeds on itself. I have chronic insomnia and the only real way to deal with it is to not worry about it, which is darn near impossible. Do pat yourself on the back for what you've accomplished and I hope that you can work your way through the insomnia.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I know that lack of sleep is miserable and that it feeds on itself. I have chronic insomnia and the only real way to deal with it is to not worry about it, which is darn near impossible. Do pat yourself on the back for what you've accomplished and I hope that you can work your way through the insomnia.
Thanks so much for your input, Anna. How do you deal with it successfully? I mean, how do you not worry about it? Consciously make an effort to think of other things? I'm also wondering if maybe I'm just needing less sleep as I get older (43)? That thought has crossed my mind, as has menopause and perimenopause...

Ugh, I feel 30, why can't my body act like it's 30?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Hmm, can't play doctor here, and so I won't... I will tell you that you should trust your instincts when it comes to the benzos... There are other sleep meds available that will suit your needs, maybe you and your doctor could discuss that some more??

I had racing thoughts when I first started out in recovery... For a few months. They go away.

Of all the things that can help, for me, exercise and music helped the most.
in the interest of full disclosure, i only got a one-week supply of valium, and i'm pretty sure sleeping pills are out of the question given my current state of mind (depressed with serious dark thoughts). when/if i get better though, sleeping meds would be a better option. just not safe for me at this point.

next step is to work on my social anxiety (i'm pretty effed up for being a mental health therapist myself, eh?), that way, i can go out in public (in daylight even) without gut-wrenching fear. i can then take advantage of the gym membership i pay for monthly!

thank you SO much for your input, mark.

i feel so much support here, so thank you again.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Staying up for near a whole week is nowhere near good for you.
I am 100% open honest and transparent with my pdr and therapist and we make any med changes one at a time slowly.
Use and abuse of a prescribed medication are 2 different things..one helps to heal, the other harms.
My pdr specialized in brain chemistry, I didn't.
I don't make med decisions without consulting him and having his full on support.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stay close to your doctor on this. Trust your judgement on the kinds of medication available and the ones that you should avoid.

Does your doc seem savvy with the issues facing recovering addicts?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jillian,
not to give out medical advice, but if you cold-turkeyed benzo's a month ago, that could be what's causing the sleep problems, but i guess that's probably stating the obvious, did you take the benzos everyday? don't they have to wean you off them?

best wishes, dan
Old 04-15-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

the doc seems on top of this and knows my history.
she knows i cold-turkey the benzos i was taking for 14 years, even though it was the smallest dose they make for both of them (ativan and klonopin).
she said that this is why i'm not sleeping, and that no one should cold-turkey them.
i was impatient and did the "all or nothing thing," meaning: if i'm quitting the oxys, why not quit everything?
big mistake, but since i had been off them for a month before complaining to her about no sleep, i didn't see the point in starting all over with something else, thinking i would get through it on my own (this is a control thing that i totally recognize).
problem is, she said that when people go off benzo's, they can have sleep problems (and other problems) for up to a year or two! i didn't sign on for that.
i trusted her judgement (still do), even though i'm still severely lacking in sleep.
she did a drug test on me first.
first drug test i've ever had, and i can't say i wasn't totally humiliated, even though i knew it would come up clean, which it did.

and yes, i took the benzos every day up until a month and a week ago (ativan .5 mgs, three times a day, and klonopin 1mg at bedtime).

i should've known better to cold-turkey them like i did the oxys, but got cocky, i think...
Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Any doctor that lets you do that should have their head examined, .5 three times a day? I would switch doctors but that's just me
Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
Any doctor that lets you do that should have their head examined, .5 three times a day? I would switch doctors but that's just me
.5 mg is the lowest dose they make, isn't it? same dose for 14 years. probably really had no effect on me other than psychological anyway?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets steer clear of our opinions on dosages - whatever our intent, that's getting into medical advice.

If you have any concerns Jillian, I'd see your prescribing physician

D
Old 04-15-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Can you do a search on better sleeping? At least for now. Something like relax an hour before sleeping, no bright lights (tv, phone, computer) in front of your eyes, keep the rooms darkened, warm bath with maybe lavandar aroma, warm milk or a turkey sandwich an hour before sleeping, meditation, relaxation exercises...

The 12 steps helped me to get through the inner turmoil and I listen to speaker tapes on my mp3 to reduce the noise in my head as I fall asleep (in early recovery this was a must).

Early recovery, yeah, sleep is messed up cause we've changed the brain chemistry and it has to get even again. It's not just the REM sleep, but it's also the SWS (slow wave sleep) that has been disrupted. You'll even out soon enough. Are you working AVRT? Interested in AA at all? Counselor?

There are solutions.
Hugs,
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Protracted Withdrawal From Benzodiazepines: The Post-Withdrawal Syndrome

search this, if you want.