Notices

I have help available but I'm confused about sober living

Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have help available but I'm confused about sober living

I really have asked for help and have a substance abuse counselor trying to help me. I guess I was thinking she wasn't understanding what I was telling her, but I realize I was not understanding her. She knows I want a place to get clean for just 5 or 6 days and she found a sober living house for me. She said it will cost me less than renting a hotel room( my current idea) and she already spoke to the house manager.
I guess I thought sober living is for when you are sober. Can I really go there and detox? I guess I just wonder if anyone has any knowledge that I obviously do not. Thanks. Yes I'm going to have her help me figure out when to go. I just don't know what's required of me if I go?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hardy, ask the counselor, don't ask us.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you can go there and detox since the offer has been made. How do you feel about it?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it is a great idea, since you ahve people there who know what you will be going trough. And you ahve help available if needed. In a hotel room you would be all alone.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Typically sober living places do not take detox cases. You need to ask this question specifically of the sober house manager.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It might be a good idea to write down all your questions and run them by your counselor. You could talk to the manager of the sober house, too. Do you know the name of the place? If so, you could see if they have a website.

I think you're right that most sober living houses don't have medical detox - you might need to see a doctor about that. How long are you thinking about being there? If it were me, I'd really consider an extended stay.

So glad you're following through - there really is a light at the end of the tunnel!:ghug3
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Hardy,

Please call and talk and find out everything you want to know, then just do it and save yourself! I'm proud of you!

You can do this.

Love,
Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Honestly, I want to go and this isn't me making excuses but I have a hard time being comfortable around anyone. I'm so depressed that I hate having people concerned for my well being. I won't be able to relax I know I'll be tense and feel stupid. The biggest issue is sleeping there. I have a history of sexual assault and while I'm not in need of help for it, it does effect how I sleep. I cannot sleep in a bed even at my house and I sleep fully dressed. Ill end u sleeping in a closet like a freak. Plus when I stop using, the nightmares return and I don't want to be screaming in some house like a crazy person. These things are normal to me and don't bother me unless I'm not alone.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Tell them all about you. You CAN do this!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hardy, everything you describe about your anxiety, sleeping habits etc are actually really common among people with certain pasts. Really really common. The thing is that many of us are trapped in a spiral, we are afraid to get help, because of the very things we need help dealing with. The only way to get out, it to step out, allow ourselves, even when it's scary, to open up to the possibility of healing. It's like having an infection or abcess lanced. We have to be willing to go through that first stab of pain to get relief, healing.

You will not be the only person there with fears and issues. You will not be a freak there, you will be one more person seeking help.

hugs
Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can find answers to your questions and move on with your treatment, Hardy.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hardy View Post
Honestly, I want to go and this isn't me making excuses but I have a hard time being comfortable around anyone. I'm so depressed that I hate having people concerned for my well being. I won't be able to relax I know I'll be tense and feel stupid. The biggest issue is sleeping there. I have a history of sexual assault and while I'm not in need of help for it, it does effect how I sleep. I cannot sleep in a bed even at my house and I sleep fully dressed. Ill end u sleeping in a closet like a freak. Plus when I stop using, the nightmares return and I don't want to be screaming in some house like a crazy person. These things are normal to me and don't bother me unless I'm not alone.
hardy, don't let this keep you from getting help. You probably won't be the only one sleeping in the closet.
Believe it or not, we all feel to a large degree "uncomfortable around new people" "depressed" " don't like people fussing over us" "tense" and "stupid".
I HAD PRETTY WELL ALL THOSE FEELINGS TODAY AND I'VE BEEN SOBER OVER 22 YEARS !
Get into recovery and you'll find a room full of folks that think and feel just like you.

Wishing you well.

Bob R
Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here Hardy - I really hope you can get answers to all your questions and work this out

D
Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hardy, lots of good advice here. Take it to heart. Keep checking in with us, we care about you!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just sent my counselor an email telling her I'm ready to hear about the sober living she found for me. She will call me first thing tomorrow. I'm not going to let my issues keep me from going, I just don't like to feel stupid and I usually feel stupid. I don't tell anyone about my sleeping habits and why I have them ever. Its funny that I tell all here; this is only place I'm just me. If you knew me in everyday life, you wouldnt recognize me. I don't recognize me, the fake me performs and I feel like I'm losing my real self so this forum has helped a lot even though I'm constantly saying help me, you all already have. Hopefully in a week or two I'll be in the sober living and getting some control back. I'm not afraid but I am self conscious. I don't know that I'll ever like myself but maybe I'll learn to give myself a break now and then.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You'll like yourself. Let us know how you are doing.

Bob R
Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good Luck Hardy. You can do this. You have already started! You are here and have a plan in the works. Keep us posted on how you are.
Everyone here supports you.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to hear. Remember that the people living at the sober house have been through their own personal issues and are really unlikely to judge you and yours. Good luck
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Keep us posted please.