Notices

34 days sober journey, Anxiety, Brain Fog

Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 34 days sober my journey

Hello I am new to the forum I never really thought I had a drinking problem, I have been drinking of and on since I left the military 5 years ago along with the weekend drinking my diet has been horrible. About 2 years ago I started binge drinking socially every weekend 12-15 beers on Thursday,Friday, and Saturday. Any excuse to drink turned into a binging episode. About 35 days ago I decided to quit cold turkey after two emergency room visits because of my overdoing the drinking. They had to administer IV solutions and after wards would just send me on my way. I always just used to sleep off a hang over and didn't crave any alcohol, but up until the emergency room I was starting to feel restless waiting for my drinking days became an aggravating experience.[/INDENT]
I never thought I would have any withdrawal symptoms I guess I was in denial. After I got out of the hospital my brain started feeling foggy, weird, out of it. Like I had over done the binge the night before I had not given my body enough time to recover. Ever since that day I have not felt 100% normal. I have not had any shakes, night sweats, or weird feeling when other people drink around me. What I did have was extreme shortness of breath, anxiety, brain fog, euphoric feeling, panicky, restless, just jumpy weird all over my body especially my brain.
Week One of recovery I started to feel extreme anxiety, lethargic, euphoric body and brain symptoms. I did not know what was wrong with me. I would almost pass out because I felt so week also. Driving anywhere would be a big undertaking because my body would not did not feel normal arms would start going numb, legs would go numb, and I would have extreme panic/shortness of breath. I thought it would go away in a few days, but it did not. I was always scared to drive anywhere or do anything that would exert any energy. I kept trying to keep my original life style of eating fast food and just eating when I really felt hungry junk food. Before deciding to quit I would just look forward to my drinking days, which in my opinion that is when I would get my true nutrients that I was not getting from fast food, but was getting weekly from the alcohol and my body git used to the routine.
The Beginning of week two I had been doing internet searches for my symptoms, I thought I was going to die did not think it was alcohol withdrawal. I was in complete denial. I kept going back to alcohol withdrawal sites for the majority of my symptoms. Noticing the point about "nutrient deficiency" and how it affects the brain messages being sent to body parts. The nutrients I was getting from alcohol where the B vitamins, B6, B1, Thiamine, and Folate. These vitamins I concluded where not being consumed through my fast food diet. I needed to replace the alcohol with healthy food full of nutrients and supplement myself with daily vitamins replacing the sugar I was getting from alcohol to nutritional foods.
After Week two on a healthy diet I noticed that I was more in touch with the way my body felt as a whole. I started going to the doctor, dentist, and anything else to try to help my body heal from the years of alcohol abuse. The dentist told me I had really bad infections in my teeth which needed to be extracted. I was on antibiotics, eating healthy, and keeping my mind busy. My anxiety symptoms where slowly becoming less and less. I started to feel somewhat normal again.
Week 3 came around with no signs of any anxiety just feeling a little jumpy at times. I went to the doctor and everything came back normal as far as my blood/nutrient test. I would still get extreme panic attacks only if I did not eat, skip a meal, or spend to much time on my computer, and also if I was extremely constipated. The anxiety attacks would make me feel as though I had chemicals, tingly, warm and cold feeling where traveling up my spine to my brain and to my lower pelvic region. The feeling was weird attached with some brain fog and euphoric urethra. Needless to say I was scared and was having racing thoughts. They would all go away soon as I defecated, soon as I ate, soon as I rested from my computer.
Week 4 I am not a doctor nor do I claim to be one, but I would like to think my brain is trying to fix itself or something else is going on with my body as a whole that the doctors have not seen yet in the test they have conducted. I do know that my panics attacks have subsided and only on occasion pop up on me. I would ask for someone to help me figure something out or just talk about any similar symptoms. Should I be medicated, see another doctor, Neuro, psychologist all ? or will the symptoms go away if i keep doing what I am doing? Eating healthy, daily vitamins, exercise, not drinking.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bradd - welcome

I don't know about anyone else but all that seems pretty normal to me?

Remember most of us drank for years - 30 days is awesome but there's probably more healing to go yet

my advice is try not to obsess about it too much

D
Old 04-14-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Binge drinking socially !!

Bradd: Welcome.
My recovery and sanity came from the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.Good luck in your chosen recovery path. AA will be there for you if you need it.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-14-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great Advice Dee the biggest problem I find is that I have to much time to think about the what if's as far as medical since the time I picked to become sober came along side becoming unemployed so I know have so much time to sit and think. Its been a tough road thus far but slow and steady will win the race
Old 04-14-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Bradd...I would keep going back to your doctor to get any concerns you may have ticked of the list...but it might be worth doing some CBT type stuff too for anxiety related stuff. I found things like this really useful:
http://www.psychologytools.org/asset...ght_Record.pdf
Initially I didn't think it was necessary to write stuff down but it really helped and seeing as you've got the time it may be a good time to get into it. I know how easy it is to wind yourself up about health stuff but all that anxiety doesn't help matters by manifesting itself as physical symptoms

Welcome to SR
Old 04-14-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did the same thing Bradd - I became obsessed with every ache and pain.
Things got better

Try and keep as busy and active and occupied as you can - have you thought of volunteering somewhere - that was a great experience for me...looks good on the resume too

D
Old 04-14-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was foggy the first couple months...It gets better...You have to figure you are completely removing something that you have been relying on to be there...You have some undoing to do. Give it time.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Give yourself several more months of sobriety. Yes, I kept noticing changes. My perception, everything is healing. The last couple of weeks I had serious typing dyslexia, but this has reduced. Changes, constant changes. I'll have 11 months on Monday, the 16th of April.

We did damage ourselves, give yourself time to heal!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Your area has some good AA meetings, I've been told! Have you tried any?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Brad, I definitely obsessed about every ache and pain too. When I stopped drinking, the fears for what I had done to my health were overwhelming and it was hard to get through those early weeks. The main thing to remember is that the best thing you can do is to stay focused on recovery. You can move forward from here and take care of your health. Congratulations on 35 days sober!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

Hi Brad, I am Bern an Alcoholic <G>

I sent you a PM but one of the nice things about the unemployment thing is you can hit as many AA meetings a day as you want. I have been off the past month, start a new job Monday, and I loved being able to go to the morning or afternoon meeting along with an evening one sometimes.

Here is a link to the meeting in our Baltimore Area:

Map Test

Good Luck.

Bern!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great reply's everyone I really appreciate the wisdom on this forum, I am definitely taking it one day at a time. Dee and Anna I completely feel every ache, and pain in my body its so weird but I guess my body is just fixing itself I'm starting to feel again and not be fuzzy from all the drinking. Bitmap I got your message I'm definitely open and would like to look into AA. It amazes me how something I took for granted the social aspect of drinking would cause so many repercussions for my mind and body. Before I left the military I would never have a need or reason to drink. I moved got out of the military and it seemed everyone was social drinking everywhere after work meetings, to celebrate an occasion, just because its nice out... I guess with my father being a recovering alcoholic it was easier for me to develop into alcoholism. Again everyone thank you so much I am glad I found this site and look forward to continued conversations.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Brad: I am so happy you are trying to get well and sober. I am not an alcoholic, but my husband is about at the end of 4 weeks of staying sober, and everything you describe is what I am seeing in him. He has moved out of our house and into his shop, where there is not running water or facilities at all. He did this Jan 1, 2012 because he said if he went back to drinking, HE would be the one to move out, since I had been the one "running away" from him with no where to go, this was really hard on me and I cannot afford to go get myself an new place to live, so anyway, he sleeps on a camp cot and eats muffins and various things he picks up at the grocery store. We only see each other once a day. He reads the SMART literature and is starting to attend the SMART meetings. I see him doing well one day, and then today, he just is sleeping all day long. Please share with me if you can. What is normal for recovery? It scares me, yet I know the effects of the alcohol seeping out of one's system has to have some side effects. I appreciate anything you can tell me. I really do, and I hope YOU keep up your sobriety!! Sincerely, A
Old 04-15-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello: It is really great for me (family member) to read all your responses to Brad- that it is normal for the physical symptoms to take TIME- the damage takes time to heal- that is what I needed to hear. I want to encourage my husband to keep going in staying sober, but it is hard for me to be patient and realise that alot of years of drinking straight alcohol will take time to cleanse and heal. Thank you all so much.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hi. Your post reminded me of this passage from the AA big book. Hope it is helpful.

"Now about health: A body badly burned by alcohol does not often recover overnight nor do twisted thinking and depression vanish in a twinkling. We are convinced that a spiritual mode of living is a most powerful health restorative. We, who have recovered from serious drinking, are miracles of mental health. But we have seen remarkable transformations in our bodies. Hardly one of our crowd now shows any dissipation.

But this does not mean that we disregard human health measures. God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitated to take your health problems to such persons. Most of them give freely of themselves, that their fellows may enjoy sound minds and bodies. Try to remember that though God has wrought miracles among us, we should never belittle a good doctor or psychiatrist. Their services are often indispensable in treating a newcomer and in following his case afterward.

One of the many doctors who had the opportunity of reading this book in manuscript form told us that the use of sweets was often helpful, of course depending upon a doctor’s advice. He thought all alcoholics should constantly have chocolate available for its quick energy value at times of fatigue. He added that occasionally in the night a vague craving arose which would be satisfied by candy. Many of us have noticed a tendency to eat sweets and have found this practice beneficial."

The Family Afterward

Big Book On Line

I read the forward to the first edition and the doctor's opinion today.

You can click on the big book link and read the chapters.

Please read them in order.

I really liked the hope at the end of the doc's opinion.

Check it out!

Be encouraged.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Week 5, 45 days Sober, My Journey

Hello Everyone week 5 and 45 days sober started off great I had minimal anxiety attacks, the fog feeling getting better, panic only last a couple seconds. The only thing that keeps me down at times is the fact that I cant do my normal exercises due to the feeling of being unable to breath. Its kind of ironic to me that when I was drinking the run was to sweat out the alcohol in order to drink more, now I cant seem to run just for fun My sinuses get really stuffed up and I have to stop my work out walking home is sometimes a nightmare because I feel like I am going to pass out. I feel like my drinking has damaged my stomach acid producer and making my body back into a well oiled machine is taking time. This makes my anxiety start creeping up unless I constantly clear my throat or get home in a hurry. I try not to think about the worst case when the anxiety creeps in and that really helps also the psychologytools.org/asset...ght_Record.pdf[/url] that hypochondriac provided me is really helpful in calming me down and figuring what exactly was my trigger.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are getting better in most ways Brad - don't hesitate to see a Dr tho if you think you need to

D
Old 04-28-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Stay away from reading that stuff on internet it will make your panic and anxiety worse trust me "Dr. Google"as my BFF and it sky rocketed my anxiety. Talk to your Dr. about anxiety. Hope you are feeling better.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

90 Days Sober "Please Help"

90 days sober mark, I feel like I really have to focus to keep my mind together. I am feeling out of it... brain burning extreme brain fog/tingling and feeling jumpy not sure why but its off and on through out the day. I am trying to stay calm and focused not sure why I feel this way after 90 days sober. Please Help! I feel like I'm loosing my mind at times I am scheduling a neurologist appointment to rule out anything with my brain/nerves then phycologist I wish I had never drank alcohol!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear you're still feeling this way but I'm glad you're looking for professional help now

I hope the Drs will help, Bradd

D