Notices

My name is Drea, and I am on Recovery.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My name is Drea, and I am on Recovery.

Once upon a time, there was a little girl from South America who was full of life and enjoyed all the gift's Mother Earth had to offer. All she really wanted to do was help the planet -- and it's people -- as much as she could.

As time passed, the pure little girl became a teenager filled with pain and sadness. The girl became the class clown, the one people picked on, and from then on moved school from school showing uncontrollable stages of rebellion. A few arrests and possible links to gangs, she decided it was all too much and needed out. After dropping out and getting a G.E.D., She would play video games and get ********* drunk -- at 15.

The girl got tired of being sad, so she pulled herself up by her bootstraps and resolved to get her life on track. She moved to NYC, got a boyfriend, finished school, and got a job. All things seem positive. However, when life gets too good, one must ready for the storm.

After a year at her job, the now young woman was tired of her life and wanted to do something else. Video games had been a big part of her life and decided a move to Seattle would be best. She was sadly mistaken.
After breaking up with her boyfriend she got involved with a man or two that broke her heart, and made "friends" who turned out to have more in common with venoms snakes than a safety nets. Things where not all good in the career department, either. Her dream job turned out to be mindless, boring, and filled with politics her flower girl heart could not muster.
Little by litte this girl started to turn to drink and drugs to fill this sad hole these people had left in her heart -- and collecting new pains on the way. The party lifestyle is not as glamours as the music videos and the tabloids make it seem.

The party world is filled with greedy, seedy people who are not really interested in what you have inside your heart, but what you are putting up your nose. After a few overdose scares in Seattle she decided to move back home to Florida to make a change for the best. The girl decided to go out with a bang, and ended up so messed up she didn't know where she was and where she was going. It was then that she realized who her real friends where, the ones that picked her up and worked on saving the girl from herself. Now in Florida, the girl gathered some strength and she decided to move to Santiago, Chile. After all running away is what she did best.

In the beginning everything was great, but collecting bad company is her specialty. Although she met amazing people that have shown to love her, all she wanted to do is drown the pain in a glass of Vodka and the deep sounds from a bass speaker.

After the disastrous life she led so far, she decided to come back to Florida -- again-- and get things right this time. Running away has to work at some point, right?

She started with a great freelance job she loved and set up her own company. However, things did not look up as much as she tried to fake it. After downing wine on a daily basis and mixing it with a number of pills, she felt frustrated -- she had to die. Life was only offering pain, sadness and did not see the point of it all.

A physcotic episode followed landing her in a mental institution. The beautiful, wonderful girl everyone seem to love was in a dark room, screaming in dispair. After two long weeks of nasty gowns, making line to take medicine a la "Girl, Interupted", and meeting God (no, seriously one of the patients said to be god), it was time to go back home and face the music.

------This is my story.
Sometimes you just have to hit rock bottom to realized what you got. I am now 2 months sober and really enjoying the heck out of my life. So health issues have followed from my irresponsable lifestyle, but I accept them with grace.

I often think about the day when it will be okay to drink again, or I feel trapped that I will not be able to do that. But day by day, I get used to the idea of never drinking again, and taking confort in my decision.

I'm not saying recovery has been all stars and rainbows. I still get depressed, sometimes i want to drink or use, but the next day is a lot brighter.

never again.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

This is beautifully written from the heart, Drea!

Welcome to SR, glad you are here with us on this sober journey.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Sugarbear1, what a beautifully written piece.
Welcome to SR.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome pinksage!

That's quite a journey..... I'm so glad you've discovered that you don't need drugs or alcohol to be the beautiful person you are. Well done - Congratulations on 2 months sober! :day6
Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yea you scared me when you talked about drinking again.. nicely done on the story
Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the welcome and support!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Drea - good to have you here

D
Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Be proud Drea - for clawing your way out of hell and having a new start. You can still have all your dreams come true.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats, thanks for sharing, and welcome! I am newly committed to my sobriety too.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Drea, like the others have said lovely writing. Welcome
Old 04-15-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words!