Weekend Drug Addicts

Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend Drug Addicts

Is is common for someone to just use drugs on the weekend? I mean...during the week, they drink lots of beer and smoke pot, but when Friday arrives...they disappear for three days using crack. They can't be found.

I know that it is crack because I was told by several people and also that is their doc and also what they have been sent to rehab for a couple of times.

Why is it possible they do not need the drug during the week?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Sure, that was my exabf, same pattern. Drink during the week and disappear on a binge over the weekend...and,crack was his doc. They substitute booze for drugs, payday comes and off they go, money in hand.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes...exactly. He would go pick up his paycheck on Fri and then disappear for rest of weekend. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TMZ

Yes that is the pattern, But the longer the use the will need increasingly more. Most likely a functioning A and is managing to supply there habit.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All addiction is progressive. He is using mood altering substances, beer and wine, to tide him over.

I do not associate with people who use drugs. That's my boundary. What's your boundary?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a recovering crack addict, as well as someone who has loved ones who are addicts. Sure, I could use crack "occasionally"...until I couldn't. If I wasn't using, I was damned sure planning the next time I could (when I had money).

I went from being a highly certified RN to a homeless, streetwalking prostitute to get money for crack. As my bf (also a crack addict) told me, it's one of the most addictive substances, though I've read enough here to think that opiates are just as bad.

Though I never got to that point, my bf stole anything and everything to support his habit. I did disappear from the lives of family, holed up in abandoned buildings, smoking that damned crack pipe. When I started? I had a nice home and a good job. That didn't last long. I spent time in jail, I had a gazillion tickets ($4,000 worth) and didn't care that I had no place to sleep, shower, etc. All I cared about was getting the crack.

I have 5 years in recovery. My bf at the time? He died, because it was more important to smoke that pipe than go to the dr. when he had pneumonia. He was found dead in one of the abandoned/empty places where we used to hang out.

They're using other drugs during the week, to hold off until they get money. There will come a time, when they can't hold off..it will become a daily thing. I used 24/7.

I've know MANY a crack addict, and though some can control it for a while? It doesn't last...the urges take over. I did the same thing...after some time in lockup, I got clean but not in recovery. I started using once a month...then twice a month, then more and I totally relapsed...hit a lower bottom than I had before. I've NEVER met a recreational crack user...the pull of the drug is just too much and it's all you can think about.

Is someone who is drinking/smoking weed during the week and using crack on weekends really someone you want in your life? If so, I suggest that you get everything of value out of their reach. I had my entire household sold while I was in jail, including the vacuum cleaner. I came home to an 1800 square foot house with nothing. One weekend? I lost everything, including my dead mom's wedding ring on a necklace I'd entrusted to the jacka$$ who was the guy who introduced me to crack. What did I do? Figured I'd already lost everything, WTF...dove deep into crack addiction. Got beaten and raped, figured WTF, I can make money at selling myself to support my habit.

Crack is evil, as far as I'm concerned, and I won't have ANYTHING to do with anyone using it. FWIW, 5 years into recovery, I'm STILL dealing with consequences from my addiction.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I smoked crack mostly on the weekends. I did not drink or drug during the week--other than a glass of wine at dinner if I went out with friends.

But you can still wreck your life and relationships without daily use.

I am no expert on anyone's behavior but my own, but I think there are some drugs that are binge drugs. I do not know if it is even possible to use crack daily and live more than a week or two. I think most people who use it do so in regular binges.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. I am referring to my son...not my bf or H. At the present time I think I have him in a healthy living environment...he doesn't live with me. He has started going back to AA meetings and we are taking it one day at a time. He told me that he was only doing crack on the weekends when he would get his paycheck. He also told me how powerful the drug was.

It disgusts me how the dealers won't leave him alone. He has changed is phone number several times. I just worry about him and hope he can stay strong. Right now he still has a job and is doing better.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dealers just want to make their money, it's just business to them. It concerns me a bit that you keep saying 'we'. Are you attending meetings at all?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Windmill...I don't see anywhere that I said "we". No, I am not going to meetings.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

At the present time I think I have him in a healthy living environment...he doesn't live with me. He has started going back to AA meetings and weare taking it one day at a time.
How old is he?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well I guess I should have he is taking it one day at a time. He is 33 yrs. old.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is the daily beer/weed and weekend crack binge the current situation?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

He said it is not the current situation. He has been going to meetings and said that not drinking is not that difficult, however, not using the crack is very hard to stop. He has had one relapse and took his roommate's car without permission to go find crack, but that was a month or so ago.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My ex was supposedly doing cocaine every 6 months or so (while we were married for 7 years), but I recently found out it was every couple of months. I had no clue....Other than that, it was the occasional glass of wine/etc. Then the rock tumbled downhill and he ended up on not only a binge weekend, but a binge week that turned into a month. He ended up bringing it into our house w/ our 3 year old. That is when I took him to rehab and never let him come home. Once he got out of rehab he relapsed for about 6 months. Ugly.

I think part of it was crack as well - but I am naive about what all he was doing so have no idea all of the drugs he was using.