Notices

Hi! I'm 6 days clean!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm 6 days clean!

I found this website this morning when trying to find out when this HELL of withdrawal would end! My family has been very supportive but I mistakenly told them it would probably only take about 5 days....now their asking why aren't I thru it. Probably bc I was on a whole lot of Oxy!!!

I was put on OxyContin 8 years ago for severe facial pain. My doctor gave me NO warning of how addicting the drug was. Did I ever learn quickly! Soon my entire life was about having to take this drug just to feel normal. It was rarely easing my pain and IMO just making me sicker. I've been saying for 2 years that I wanted off the drug but the thought of going thru the withdrawals always stopped me. Like most opiate users, I would take more than prescribed and always run out at the end of the month. So days and days of hellish withdrawal only to go right back on the pills the second my prescription came in.

Last Thursday I found out that there was a major screw up with my prescription(NOT my fault for once) and my doctor wasn't releasing it for another 12 days. I had enough for 2 more days. After panicking, I finally said enough!!!! I'm ending this physical addiction NOW. Despite my panic over the thought of having to go thru the "kill me now now now" withdrawals....the decision was SO empowering.

So I've been clean for 6 days now!!! Withdrawal is still bad but Im hanging In there bc I'm NEVER going thru this again. I'm a little worried about my chronic facial pain but I'm hoping that the Oxys have just been dragging it out.

Despite feeling like hell I've been singing "it's a new dawn, it's a new day and I'm feeling good"

Tomorrow is day 7....yes!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SilverSparkCat

I know nothing about oxy but I'm sure others will be along...you might also want to look at our substance abuse board:

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You'll find a lot of support here - good to have you with us

D
Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep moving forward. You're probably half way there. Don't look back & you won't have to withdrawal ever again. Stay strong. You'll have to quit one day. There's no time like the present.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing so well.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome! I actually just realized that I'm on day 7, not day 6 which makes me very happy. I've never gotten past 3 days before. I could have called my doctor to fix the prescription problem but instead I cancelled my Oxy prescriptions. I made the best decision of my life last week and I'm sticking to it no matter what!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will never regret quiting any addiction.
You'll only regret continuing on the path of destruction.
It's good you changed direction.
I read a quote the other day that said, " If you do not change direction, you will end up where you are heading."
Makes you think
Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Impressive, SilverSparkCat!

Yep, those first few days are bad....but you are a trooper! You are right - getting out of that madness is one of the best decisions you will ever make in your life. It is just a dead end road. Congratulations!!!! Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Best wishes.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Silver))) - Congratulations on 7 days!!! I've read many posts here where the chronic pain is actually BETTER after getting off the opiates, so I pray that this is the case for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy