Notices

This has been one hell of a month.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Unhappy This has been one hell of a month.

I got fired from my job of 5 years on Monday, and suprisingly, not because I called in because of a hangover. I got pneumonia. I just got out of the hospital last night. I haven't drank since my last relapse and honsestly, I am not even counting the days sober anymore. I have no desire to drink, and now that I am unemployed, the way I see it, Is If I am not going to be contributing to the bills in my household, I sure as hell don't have the funds to upkeep my addiction. I honestly dont know how I feel about all of this. I dont even know my next step. I am just confused and sick. Literally. Maybe this is a sign of better things to come. When a door closes, another one opens, right? I hope. I have people to support. Anyway just wanted to give everyone an update. I know I haven't posted in a while. Thanks.

Dom.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Dom.
My L.D. (last drink) date is VERY important to me. More-so than my wedding anniversary or my wife's/son's birthday.

I know lots of folks over the years that took layoffs and downtimes to hit extra meetings. I know many folks also who got their jobs through contacts in AA too.

This is the time to take advantage of opportunities that will arise. Try to look ahead with enthusiasm and hope rather than fear and negativity.

Good to hear from you !! All the best.

Bob R.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about your job and how poorly you've been.

Your posts were amongst the first I read on SR. And helped inspire me to stop drinking. I so admire your honesty and willingness to share through good and bad times.

I wish you all the best in your recovery from pneumonia. Good to hear from you, keep posting x
Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thanks, I am trying to keep positive.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Random Guy

whew I am glad to hear you are doing good with not drinking, but at the same time with all that jazz and quiting drinking I don't doubt that this month has been a doozy. Best of luck to you in the job hunt I hear its rough out there.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

DOM ..sorry you are having such a bad week..It will get better. I find alot positive in your post. Many folks would use your problems as a rationalization for drinking. But it sounds like you know, mentally, financially, this would only compound your problems.
Wish you the best..keep postive..

Jim
Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Zee

Sorry to hear you have not been well. Pneumonia is a tough one... and loosing your job as well! Thats a kick in the metaphorical nuts! Blimey!... Well, these things are sent to test us I suppose. Its all baby steps now isn't it. First, you have to get the health back (main priority) Then have a look at the possibility of benefits (or work)?
Maybe any thoughts of alcohol will be less!
I wish you luck, sometimes life sucks but things that happen in life can make us stronger! (And from reading your posts you sound like a 'strongie' already!) xxx
Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Is your employer covered by FMLA (50 or more employers)? Just checking because if so they are supposed to allow you time off for sickness.

It's great that you're staying sober and strong despite this setback. Perhaps better things are going to come your way-- an opportunity for an even better job?!? Best wishes.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Dominica...I am shocked that they fired you when you had a serious medical condition. I am sure that is against the rules in most places. Did you try to fight it?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey lovely, am so sorry you're havin such a rough time. Am glad you're posting though - I've missed seeing you on the threads lately

xx
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

FMLA only covers a certain amount of time (12 weeks I believe) in a years time. There is specific paperwork to fill out ..... you have to ask for FMLA leave the way I understand it.

Also, in most states, you can be fired for any reason other than the protected race, religion, age, gender ....

That's the way I understand it but take my "knowledge" with a grain of salt.

Dom -- may be this is the start of a whole new journey for you. Congrats on your sober time!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
FMLA only covers a certain amount of time (12 weeks I believe) in a years time. There is specific paperwork to fill out ..... you have to ask for FMLA leave the way I understand it.

Also, in most states, you can be fired for any reason other than the protected race, religion, age, gender ....

That's the way I understand it but take my "knowledge" with a grain of salt.

Dom -- may be this is the start of a whole new journey for you. Congrats on your sober time!
Right... just to clarify... with federal FMLA you have 12 weeks and you also have to have been working there for at least a year and for at least a certain amount of hours. You have to fill out paperwork but usually if it's an emergency and something that would qualify under FMLA you are allowed to fill out the papework once the emergency subsides, and they have to hold your job position open while FMLA status is pending (they can't fire you once you've requested it, even if they don't think it will be approved). Other states have their own protections and some states require employers to keep jobs avilable to employees who are out on emergency sick leave (but other states do not).

So definitely check the laws in your state and also see if you qualify under FMLA. It was just something worth mentioning in case it could apply. Unless FMLA or a state sick leave protection is involved (or something like workers' comp or union laws or an excuse being used for discrimination or retaliation etc.), then yes the employer can fire an employee for any reason, including being out sick. In any event I wish you well Dom and I hope you are back on your feet job-wise soon! I also hope you are over being sick!! Because that's no fun at all!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dom,

I wondered how you were doing. I am so sorry to hear that you were ill and fired. But, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Work on taking care of yourself first and foremost. I am so glad that you are back to posting. You really are strong and inspirational
Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Hugs Dominica!

Yes;

When one door closes another one opens...

it's true

Just don't spend so much time staring at the closed one and not see the open one in front of you...

It will get better....It will Hang in there girl!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you're feeling better and find another job quickly Dom - best wishes

D
Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Dom,
That's pretty tough to get fired after 5 years service. I have a strong feeling this is going to be one of those stories where the chips are down but you keep going with your program, stay sober and you find this great job and what seemed at the time to be a disaster turns out to be a blessing.

CaiHong
Old 04-12-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang in there Dom...Keep moving forward with your program....Things will fall into place...And drinking will solve nothing..You can do this Dom!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dom, I hope you feel better and try to stay positive.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Once you've gotten through this, you will be so much stronger & proud of yourself.
Chin up! You have to have storms to have rainbows
Old 04-12-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you've been sick, Dom. Take care of yourself and stay strong.