Notices

Hello. I need help

Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello. I need help

Hello all, my name is Robert. I have a very bad alcohol addiction. It just can't go on. I hope to find some help from you guys if you would be so kind.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Robert,

Welcome!

I edited out your last name because of anonymity.

And, yes, we can offer lots of support as you stop drinking. Do you have a plan?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no plan whatsoever. All I know is I am drinking 50 units a week and hiding bottles of whiskey in the rain gutter. It just can't go on. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome here Robbie. The last few times you stopped for a week or more did you need to be in the hospital or were you able to shake it off at home?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Robbie.

What kind of support can you get? You want medical supervision for detox.

Keep posting.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Langkah. I stopped dead for 47 days without hospital care. I just stopped. But then, I dunno, it just started up again. Just drinking on weekends turned to buying more cans the weekend and not drinking them all so I could have some during the week. I have had no medical conditions that are withdrawl related that I know of. It's more habit with me. Come home - drink ; eat - drink ; watch TV - drink. Then, when my wife gets on my case about the drinking or one of my 4 children, then I do it sneaky. I drink early hours of the morning then so they don't know. And yes, once or twice, I have driven the kids to school over the limit. I know, how terrible is that : not to mention selfish and illegal.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Computer Experiment..Gone Bad!

Originally Posted by robbieswan View Post
I have no plan whatsoever. All I know is I am drinking 50 units a week and hiding bottles of whiskey in the rain gutter. It just can't go on. Thanks for the reply
Hi Robbie, Welcome to SR!

I drank rum heavy for 20 years. I also hid bottles in the work shed and came up with 1000 excuses to work out in the shed only to get drunk and forget about everything. You are not alone here and we do understand. It is tough but as you said "it can't go on!". My first advise is to see a doctor that can help you get through the detox. It is tough but so worth it, I promise. 2nd, after the doctor and a few days of clearing your head, make a plan, pick a program AA, RR or anything that best fits your recovery. You can find a lot of information on this site to help with that. 3rd, keep posting here as much as you want, we are all dealing with addiction and are here to support.

Again, Welcome....
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I really don't feel confident enough to attend AA meetings. I am so embarrassed . I was seeking some online therapy to be honest with you..God ! I am finding typing these messages hard let alone speak to someone face to face about it. Thank you for your warm welcomes
Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please don't feel uncomfortable about going to an AA meeting or pursuing any kind of therapy. The reason we're here is we've all been trainwrecks at some point.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really don't feel confident enough to attend AA meetings. I am so embarrassed . I was seeking some online therapy to be honest with you..God ! I am finding typing these messages hard let alone speak to someone face to face about it. Thank you for your warm welcomes
I think it is safe to say we were all scared to walk through the doors of AA for the first time. I know I was terrified. But I had to do it for myself. You don't have to talk, just listen. Make it known that this is your first meeting and you just want to listen. Nobody will force you to talk if you don't want to. I was comfortable enough by the end of my first meeting to talk. That is how cool AA is. Stay sober, there is a lot of support to be had here.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Robbie. I understand about feeling embarrassed to go to AA. I was too. But everyone there was so welcoming and chill, totally non-judgmental. I later came to realize that no one wants to go to AA, that they were all embarrassed at first too, that they knew exactly what spot I was in and how I was feeling. In a way it's kind of cool, to be around people who totally understand and get it.

I wish you well in your recovery. However you plan to do it, you need a plan of action to stay stopped. Best wishes.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Robbie,

No need to feel embarrassed by saying anything on this site, we are all in the same boat and understand completely.

Just wanted to say I've just started going to AA meetings, and was totally petrified, but I took a lot of advice from people who had experienced it and were doing so so well. I pushed through the fear and it was such a good decision, no pressure on you to talk at all. Just go along and listen.

Don't know much about other methods of recovery but there are plenty on this site who do, don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck. We're all behind you x
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome robbie.Im also in the uk.I was drinking about 90 units a week sometimes more.I went to the docs and they just told me to cut down.Four days ago i stopped just by myself.First day was hard but knew I had to fight the cravings.Second day was loads better and the third day was fantastic.On day four today and sadly im stuck in bed with some bug.I also forgot to mention that i quit the cigarettes at the same time.If i can do it mate then so can you.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Page Title

That's the list for meetings and contact #s for AA in your area. Looks like you've got over 40 meetings a week to choose from. I went about as often as I drank each week, because I didn't want getting sober to be any harder than it had to be.

Not drinking and performing for your family will give you back your self respect. You'll make a ton of friends who don't drink and will do anything to help you live without another drink too.

I got sober this way in '82, it requires action and involvement but delivers in spades for those who do the stuff. If you've had enough of the drinking life.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey robbieswan!! Welcome friend! It's so nice to hear that you've come to this understanding abotu your drinking... so many people never do. It may seem like you're different or strange because of the drinking compulsion but you're really not. There's MILLIONS of people just like you. Not all of those millions ever realize they have a problem though and look for help. Because of that I'm beginning to actually consider those of us that do to be really "lucky" in a way. While luck is good... there's also a lot of work if you want to quit. I'd definately recommned checking out an AA meeting... it can be a huge eye opener and offer lots of support. If you just can't stand it... try going at least a few times. If you STILL hate it after that then look for another recovery method... maybe a priest can help if you're religious. There's also AVRT which helps a lot of people. No matter what though you gotta try one or all of them! Hope to see you for a long time on here!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello Robbie. Really happy you're making it through Day 4. It will get better and better.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello robbie: I was embarrassed too when I came to AA. It was absolutely the last place on earth that I WANTED to be but it was absolutely the RIGHT place for recovery for an alcoholic such as me.

I wish you the best with whatever program of recovery you chose but AA will be there for you if you need it.

Bob R. in the colonies
Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

heya robert

welcome

keep posting
Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Robbie,

There are other ways to stop drinking other than AA. At some point you might feel comfortable in AA, but please know there is lots of support here. AVRT and SMART are other programs of recovery. If you take a look around here, you will find lots of different opinions.