Five, four, three, two......

Old 12-26-2003, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Five, four, three, two......

Got your New Year's Resolutions figured out? Wanna share?

I'm going to lose the weight I gained when I quit smoking, but other than that I think I'm about perfect. LOL... okay... I'll think about it some more.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't usually make

New Year's resolutions. There are some things I would like to accomplish in the New Year, but if I think of them as "resolutions" I fear I am setting myself up for failure. Instead, I am going to try and be the best me that I can be. If I am ever conscious of that thought, the things I want to accomplish should follow right along.
Here's to a wonderful 2004 for all the Sober Recovery kids.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 12-26-2003, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am going to lose weight, slowly but surely, and exercise more.

I am going to complete a family genealogy that I have been procrastinating about for 3 years now, always with a plan to give my nephews and nieces a copy for Christmas along with family photos going back 5 generations or more (the genealogy goes back 500 years with a few pieces missing or lacking much information).

And I am going to plan some great day trips for my hubby and I for next summer. There are so many great places to see in the area where we recently moved, and I'd love to take day trips to explore and just enjoy the scenery.

Gee that's a good list right there - something healthy, finish a project and have fun! Yup - that's my kind of resolution. I'm going to quit while I'm ahead .

Hugs
Ann
Old 12-26-2003, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hmmmm, not quite sure. Perhaps show up at work a few minutes early? I always manage to get there just on time, no minutes to spare, then I start the day in a tizzy. I will think somore more on it
Old 12-26-2003, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gift Of Encouragement

New Year to reflect each morning on how I can be a little bit better for today,

quit smoking
Stay focused
Excersize
Lower caffine intake
Cut out junk food ..........I just thought of some thing if I do all that I'll live forever and I will outlive my money and then...............
I better just stay in the moment have a cheese burger and coffee then go outside to have a smoke and think about this some more...I love making the program work for me...LOL
((((((((HUGS)))))))) Steve
Old 12-26-2003, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gold Member

I do believe this is my first time here in this forum. I'v been feeling blue or very co-depentdant this holiday season,so I thought I'd give this forum a try. I like what I have read so far. So this is one of my NYR is to try not to let others get me down.
Also, I was looking at the paper and in the aria that I live in has a "first night". It's a sober celibration on New Years eve. You have to buy a button to go to this celibration. It's in the city of Saratoga and there are bands,plays, food... It takes place outside and inside of stores and has fire works at midnight. I told my husband that I would possible like to go and take the kids to do a family thing. My husband is like "um maybe" LOL. A sober celibration for him will be a new exsperiance. So, that might be one of my other NYR. Also, I will try and get out and do something for myself to better myself. I feel very isolated being with the kids all the time and unproductive. I could use to lose a few pounds and to take better care of myself,so I might join weight watchers and maybe make a friend or two.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Zoomer

You are more than welcome on these boards.

I have been to "1st Night" when I lived in Toronto and it was wonderful. They had great music and a variety, a skating rink, and lots of fun stuff to do, all sober and there was never any trouble that I recall. Just dress very warmly and have a wonderful time with the kids and hubby if he will go.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Excercise, and try to get up earlier every day. I like to stay up late, and sleep in, but I want to change that. So I will go to bed earlier and get up earlier, and then use that time to get in some exercise. I like to keep my resolutions fairly simple so I stand a better chance of achieving them. LOL

Juls
Old 12-27-2003, 05:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

This is the first year I have given this much throught at all but procrastination is high on my list of things to work on...tomorrow LOL!

Exercise and eat better...if I don't procastinate I am not grabbing whatever is in front of me when I am hungry.

If I don't procastinate I am not sitting here mad at the world because something is not done and I am rushing.

Another is organize my space...closets, back room etc.

And day trips with Ward and Beavette.

JT
Old 12-29-2003, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have this nasty little habit I want to break--

That is that I tend to avoid things that are good for me, such as good food, exercise, devotions, and this board. Hope you all are forgiving of that! I haven't been here in awhile, due to the fact I'm avoiding things that are good for me--but I'm resolving to get back on track in all these areas.

I plan to lose weight and get in shape
I plan to set up a time to do my devotions daily
I plan to visit this board daily again, like I use to!

Hope you all have a very happy New Year!

Hugs,
Lyn
Old 12-29-2003, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Lyn! I really like the one about visiting the board more.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Me too!!! Welcome back
Old 12-29-2003, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

I think I will make mine to quit smoking and then spend more time with my kids doing productive things and try to slow down a little for my family. I already have too much on my plate so my plans are small
Old 12-29-2003, 11:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi liljaxx. I quit smoking at the end of July so if you want commiseration... I'm your gal! HUGS!
Old 12-29-2003, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

Ummmm...

is there a 12 step program for Smokers' Anonymous? (not that I'm doing the 12 steps for Al-Anon very well).

I too want to try and quit smoking...I think about it alot, I've tried w/out success a few times (w/success for my 3 pregnancies but I REFUSE to get pregnant again just to stop smoking! LOL!) but have lost the will power I used to have.

I can't use any artificial aids, the doctor won't give them to me after having a horrendous allergic reaction to Wellbutrin. So, I'm on my own, it's cold turkey for me.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Chalkie.

There is a smoker's anonymous. I don't have any problem with the program but I think the name is preposterous. There is NOTHING anonymous about smoking. We stink. TheJayWalker (you can find him over on AA) went to Nicotine Anonymous for awhile and I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you what it was like.

I tried tapering, but I'm too fidgety. If they're around I smoke them. I tried the patch. It was okay but they seem so pricey and it just seemed to me like it was making it all take longer than it should. I wanted it over with, so I bought a whole bunch of suckers and just quit. I gained 15 pounds... fought it off... and gained back 20. I have now lost six of that and am frequenting the eating disorders page for the encouragement to get the rest off. I don't know what the magic was but I knew this time I was quitting. I did not have doubts. I did not think about how hard it was going to be or fear failing. I just was not going to do that any more. I guess it's like any kind of recovery. If you're ready... you can do it. It just takes an absolute decision.

Hugs!
smoke (used to get in my eyes) :LMAO
Old 12-29-2003, 12:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

I do believe that it is all relative...we as smokers have to decide for ourselves that we want to quit and take those steps... hehe
Old 12-29-2003, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

Smoke and liljaxx

you're both right, and I knew as I was typing my previous post that it was going to have to be up to me to WANT to quit...just like my A wants to quit drinking and using. I was also thinking to myself that the process I've used to get past my recent bad moments, my separation anxiety, my lack of support and knowledge with regards to alcoholism was the same process I could apply to quitting smoking. I did a little research on Smokers' Anonymous and Nicotine Anonymous and didn't find what I was looking for on those sites.

Now, I just have to make the decision to JUST DO IT! (Nike commercial anyone?). Perhaps I'm trying to justify why I shouldn't quit right now (the new stresses brought on w/this new road I'm traveling, my job, don't want to be a constant witch to my kids during the withdrawal, etc.). I think it's the withdrawal I fear the most.

I'll have to come up w/another hand to mouth fetish...the suckers idea is wonderful. I think my teeth and gums (just recently had gum surgery, sugar tends to aggravate) might rebel but perhaps just enough to not create a new addiction. The weight gain would be a good thing for me.

I'll let you know what I decide and to the rest of you, keep us updated! Good luck!
Old 12-29-2003, 01:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My resolution is to HAVE THIS BABY!!!!

After that I am bound and determined to get back in shape and I want to make a queen size quilt for my log bed!
Old 12-29-2003, 02:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

We have a winner!

I know Letting Go will be successful in her resolution to have her baby! LOL! Congrats!