Notices

Another Day One

Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Day One

Today is another Day One for me. Really hit the wine last night and this morning I feel terrible. Never want to feel this bad again. I've poured what was left down the sink, and looking in the mirror never want to look like this EVER again.
No money to buy the stuff, no petrol in the car to go anywhere, so this is the end for me. A great big goodbye to the rotten addiction called alchohol.
I really hate the stuff and what its done to ME.
I just want it out of my life once and for all.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Good for you, you know its the right decision. Sorry you feel bad but as you know it will get better. Hang on. Use this site, get any help you can. Stay strong and resolved.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Memberado

Yeah,

me too. Once again I'm on day one.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

B & DB, great you're both still trying very hard. Keep it going.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

This could be a start of something truly great
Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi B and DB, I'm in the very early stages of sobriety - again! This must be my 10th shot at it, but something feels different this time; I went to an AA meeting on Saturday, then again on Sunday. The prospect of returning to another meeting this Saturday has kept me strong this week so far. I don't believe in God and I did not believe in AA. 2 meetings in though and something feels different.

Best of luck xx
Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Bonnie. Waking up like that is the sh*ts, I know I hope you make a plan for yourself and work hard at the changes needed in your life to be sober. It takes work but God is it ever worth it!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

You can do this!!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Memberado

I'm starting to have doubts as to whether or not I can do this long term. Sobriety that is.

I can't stand my life on several different levels: financially, relationship wise (with my family), living situation wise...

I was sober for a good 3,5 months right before x-mas last year. Now I find myself caving in to red wine when I am out and about. And it then turns into 3-4 day long wine drinking sprees. Can't stop once I've started, we all know how it goes...

I used to be such a determined and disciplined person. Not anymore. I don't care enough. My life sucks on so many levels so I honestly don't care. Terrible.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

DB,
I understand how you feel. Have you went to any meetings? You won't believe how much it help! Also, reading the Big Book helps. It's online now if you don't have it at home.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi. You do care, thats why you are on here. Hope is a little bird that sings in your soul, without words but never giving up. I feel the same as you, I used to be determined and disciplined but I know I can be again. I have let things slide down as you have. How were the three and half months? What made you slip? anything apart from Christmas. Day one is the worst, hope you can get through it. Stay on here and talk, and listen. Thats all I can do. Meetings are far and wide for me, this is my meeting room. Everything sucks now but it doesn't have to from now on. Take care.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

DB, I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth at the minute.
All sorts of things are going on in my head. The cravings are starting to kick in big time as usually I start drinking around 4pm ish.
I'm not giving in though. My hubby is going to cook the dinner, I'm off for a walk and then early to bed.
I AM going to wake up clearheaded in the morning!
Just hang in there, please don't give up.
Also if your finances are low, just think about all the money you'll save by not drinking!
It's a win win situation. Just get through the first couple of days and the pair of us will be fine.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Memberado

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Day one is in the bag. It's evening and there is no alcohol at my disposal and all the stores are closed.

So here we go again. Tomorrow is day 2.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Memberado

Hi Bonnie!

Yeah, we're in this together! Good point about the money I will save! I haven't been paying for my own drinks recently, I think that has contributed...

Originally Posted by Bonnie1 View Post
DB, I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth at the minute.
All sorts of things are going on in my head. The cravings are starting to kick in big time as usually I start drinking around 4pm ish.
I'm not giving in though. My hubby is going to cook the dinner, I'm off for a walk and then early to bed.
I AM going to wake up clearheaded in the morning!
Just hang in there, please don't give up.
Also if your finances are low, just think about all the money you'll save by not drinking!
It's a win win situation. Just get through the first couple of days and the pair of us will be fine.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Memberado

Hi Rachel!

Thanks for the lovely quote about hope being a bird that sings in my heart. You are of course right.

What made me slip after three and a half months? My living situation has been very emotionally difficult to handle for the past 6 months. Had to move back in with my parents. I am gay and they don't aceept it yada yada. After that period of three and a half months I was invited to a party and at the same moment in time I was beginning to feel more and more hopeless. Thinking I will never get out of this living arrangement and never making enough money to move back to where I want to live... so I caved in and just hoped there would be no next morning to face. Obviously there was.

Originally Posted by RachelNorth View Post
Hi. You do care, thats why you are on here. Hope is a little bird that sings in your soul, without words but never giving up. I feel the same as you, I used to be determined and disciplined but I know I can be again. I have let things slide down as you have. How were the three and half months? What made you slip? anything apart from Christmas. Day one is the worst, hope you can get through it. Stay on here and talk, and listen. Thats all I can do. Meetings are far and wide for me, this is my meeting room. Everything sucks now but it doesn't have to from now on. Take care.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Same here, another Day One just about over. Not a drop of alchohol is in the house and have'nt drunk any.
Feels like a good feeling. No hangover in the morning, whaaaaaay
Going shopping tomorrow but hubby is out and about with me, so not dreading that chore as much. I'll just not go down THAT aisle.
Here's looking to Day Two
Hang in there DB, you'll be fine!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Bonnie and DB

I used to tell myself I could ever be sober long term too - 'if you had my life...' - but that was nonsense really. It was fear talking - as much as I hated my drinking life, I knew it, it was familiar to me....sobriety was a great howling unknown...

Stick with it tho - it is hard work, but it's worth it - staying in recovery gave me a lot of gifts but none more important than, finally, being happy and,finally, being comfortable with who I am.

Like you say Bonnie, it's win win
D
Old 04-11-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Agree with you Dee. When I'm off the drink, which I was for 2 weeks earlier in the year, I am a different person. Happy to be me. I do so much more becouse I'm not weighed down with the drink.
I start the crafts again, (which I love), quite content with a bit of stitching, patchwork etc. Those things go to the wall when I pick up the glass.
Even shopping is more calm and content, as you're not constantly trying to avoid the shelf filler who keeps putting the bottles on the shelves and I keep putting them in my trolley.
Then you're back next day doing the same.
Sheer madness.
Also the money. Trying to eat and cook as cheaply as possible, but spending a fortune on booze.
Absolute stupidity!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA, Bonnie ??

Bob R
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Bob. I really don't know yet.
I want to get the first few days over with in my own way and then take it from there.
I have a real good feeling about this time around, but I know AA is there if and when I need it.
Also the SR forum, which is absolutely brilliant.