Other Addictions too?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Other Addictions too?

My Mom says a lot of Alcoholics have other addictions as well. Have any of you guys experienced more than one addiction at a time, with a loved one?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Yeah, my ex was an alcoholic, drug and sex addict...very common.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

complusivness...OMG! and bi polar.....ooh gosh the list goes on!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel like the guy ive recently dealt with is a sex addict on top of being an alcoholic. The whole situation is a huge confusion for me.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

dont get so wrapped up INTO THEM....its better left alone (let go and let god)....i dont even want to go there....*makes my head hurt*...LOL
Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My xab is addicted to the addiction itself. If he has booze, he boozes, sugar he over does it, coffee, otc cold meds, pills, weed, k2, whatever he can get his paws on when he feels down (which occurs several times a day). He is ocd, anxious, and i think bpd as well, but I cant diagnose. He is an angry, mean dry drunk, and loves to push everyone's buttons and boundaries to see how far he can go before they give up on him.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my ex: alcohol and gambling
Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My exA husband was an alcoholic and also had a gambling addiction. My most recent exA (lucky me) is addicted to anything like others stated above--before I met him he said he had an addiction to meth, this time around its been pot, pills, booze, pretty much anything he can get his hands on.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My AW was into booze, Xanax and Ambien that I know of. Booze and Xanax was a really nasty combination.

Your friend,
Old 04-11-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol first, then weed, then coke, then cold medicine.

Sounds nasty, but he would do anything for a high. I even had to watch him do heroine a couple of times (not nice, makes you puke for hours at a time).

Oh, and don't let anybody fool you, you can get addicted to weed!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SMarrero, maybe it's because I'm feeling particularly sad and bereft today, but I am looking at your picture and thinking how beautiful you are.

I agree with fourMaggie. Don't be so INTO what they're doing - that's HIS journey. Whether he chooses to overcome his addictions is up to HIM, with little or no input from you.

Your job right now is to determine where on life's journey YOU are. You don't have to hitch yourself to his wagon. You could literally go ANYWHERE.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep. Pills, then weed, now booze. All while taking an antidepressant...I don't think it's working. lol
Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
And Presents For Pretty Girls

Yep, he seemed to have a tendency to be easily addicted to many things. Alcohol was his first and foremost love, pot was second. He was also diagnosed as a love addict, and whenever life got rough (gee...every day) he had to take a zanex to get through it and calm himself down.

I agree with other posters that although you are obviously curious and wondering about what else he is or could be addicted to, you really need to focus on yourself.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My exbf was addicted to Perscription pills, xanax, oxies, vicodane, alchoal, cigars, caffene, he also dabbled in cocane, meth and pot. He was also bi-polor and and suffred from severe depression.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

From my experience, my GF has an addictive personality, that for simplification we call being an alcoholic/addict. Her drugs aka addictions of choice are alcohol, pills, and sex. The more people I talk to, both non-addict partners and addicts, it seems that this is more often the case than not. I’ve read clinical studies that indicate the commonality of people with addictive personalities having multiple addictions. Check this excerpt out:

Sexual addiction often coexists with chemical dependency and is frequently an unrecognized cause of relapse. This is particularly true with cocaine addiction. In one study," about 70% of cocaine addicts entering an outpatient treatment program were found to be addicted to sex as well. Many patients had become trapped in a "reciprocal-relapse" pattern, in which compulsive sexual behavior precipitates relapse to cocaine use and vice versa.

In an anonymous written survey of 75 recovering sex addicts,(7) I found that 29 (39%) were also recovering from chemical dependency, 28 (38%) were workaholics, 24 (32%) had an eating disorder, 10 (13%) characterized themselves as compulsive spenders, and 4 (5%) were compulsive gamblers. Only 13 (17%) believed they had no other addiction. It is clear that clinicians who treat addicts need to assess them for multiple addictions and recognize that an addict who stops one addictive behavior (eg, excessive drinking) may substitute another addictive behavior (eg, multiple affairs, overeating) as a means of mood alteration and escape.

Pasted from <http://www.jenniferschneider.com/articles/recognize.html>

The above article also discusses how addicts often rotate out one addiction for another. One of my GF’s favorite tricks is to drink for a while, and then when things get really bad with me and her family, she’ll make declarations of sobering up and proclaim a fresh new “plan of action.” She’ll stay sober a few days, and then she’ll tap into the endless refills on prescription drugs she maintains at the pharmacy. She’ll even tell me how good she’s doing at “working the steps” and “being in her program” while she’s zonked on Ambien. When the pills become a huge problem, she’ll focus on sex until she gets ready to repeat the whole process over again.