My Roads to Recovery

Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Roads to Recovery

I just made my 3rd week without a drink and as I reflect on my journey, I can see that it was a trip with many roads and a few u turns. I started out thinking the only way for me to succeed was to approach it with the help of AA, and I purchased the Big Book, and a few other AA publications. Right from the start though, I was just a little concerned with the control that I perceived AA required and with the idea that I would never be cured of my "disease". I spoke to a fellow I new who was in AA for over 30 yrs and his advice confirmed my fears that I would be getting into something I would never feel comfortable with and something that wouldn't be supported by my wife. So I never attended the AA meetings I was told to attend (90/90). I was going to quit drinking on my own, and I was using a method I used over 40 yrs ago to quit smoking. I just told myself that I was not a smoker and what ever urges I had to smoke could not be true feelings (me) because, I was not a smoker, simple but it was effective (me vs. it)

When I investigated RR I was delighted to see that it too had a similar message about how we have two parts to our brain/being and that the part known as the Beast wasn't our true self, but only influence our self. As a novice in my practice and understanding I realize I have a way to go, but my point is I am so happy and relieved now because I feel I have a solid and proven (smoking) road to travel on which fits my personality, intellect, and family. Looking forward to my future.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by 26thw View Post
When I investigated RR I was delighted to see that it too had a similar message about how we have two parts to our brain/being and that the part known as the Beast wasn't our true self, but only influence our self. As a novice in my practice and understanding I realize I have a way to go, but my point is I am so happy and relieved now because I feel I have a solid and proven (smoking) road to travel on which fits my personality, intellect, and family. Looking forward to my future.
If you want to get up to speed quickly, I recommend that you read through the AVRT discussion thread. We've covered some things that aren't necessarily in the book, and expounded on others. Feel free to post any questions on there (in the last part).