Notices

Just want to feel normal

Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just want to feel normal

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I found this site by searching about depression when you quit drinking. I was pleased to find so many posts and to realize I was not experiencing something abnormal.
A little bit about me. Drank all my life. Never thought it was a problem, even after being told by numerous people I did. New bf pointed it out repeatedly. Decided to quit Jan.6, 2012. Went 57 days, decided I wasn't an alcoholic. If I could stop that long, no problem, I could control how much I drank. First time 2 beers, (but did go buy a six pack). 2 days later, 3 beers, 2 days later 7. Got ugly to bf. He ended up moving out. Said he didn't realize I was an "actual alcoholic" and didn't have the desire to support me in my recovery. Started to feel very depressed. Didn't want to get out of bed, workout or even talk to anyone. Not like me at all. I love to workout, I usually get up singing in the morning, couldn't get anything done. I've felt better after reading these threads. I felt like I was so defective after he left. I did go to the Dr. yesterday and get a presrip for Lexapro. Not sure if I want to take it though. Wondered if it was a good idea to replace alcohol with a drug or try to get through this without it. So this is day 34 after my relapse. Hate myself for having to start over, but I really didn't realize I couldn't control it until I tried. Now I realize it's all or nothing for me. And I choose nothing.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to her that about your bf. If you suffer with depression/anxiety and your doctor think it's a good idea to take it then you should listen to him or better yet get a second opinion. A lot of alcoholic / alcohol abuser use alcohol to self medicate. There is nothing wrong with taking an anti-depression pill to with your depression. A lot of people take some brand for theirs. I'm taking one too and I really didn't want to take it but if it works then it's better then getting drunk at night.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tuitie, I found sobriety and peace through the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.
I'm sure you could as well.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Computer Experiment..Gone Bad!

Originally Posted by Tuitiefruitie View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I found this site by searching about depression when you quit drinking. I was pleased to find so many posts and to realize I was not experiencing something abnormal.
A little bit about me. Drank all my life. Never thought it was a problem, even after being told by numerous people I did. New bf pointed it out repeatedly. Decided to quit Jan.6, 2012. Went 57 days, decided I wasn't an alcoholic. If I could stop that long, no problem, I could control how much I drank. First time 2 beers, (but did go buy a six pack). 2 days later, 3 beers, 2 days later 7. Got ugly to bf. He ended up moving out. Said he didn't realize I was an "actual alcoholic" and didn't have the desire to support me in my recovery. Started to feel very depressed. Didn't want to get out of bed, workout or even talk to anyone. Not like me at all. I love to workout, I usually get up singing in the morning, couldn't get anything done. I've felt better after reading these threads. I felt like I was so defective after he left. I did go to the Dr. yesterday and get a presrip for Lexapro. Not sure if I want to take it though. Wondered if it was a good idea to replace alcohol with a drug or try to get through this without it. So this is day 34 after my relapse. Hate myself for having to start over, but I really didn't realize I couldn't control it until I tried. Now I realize it's all or nothing for me. And I choose nothing.
Hi Tuitiefruitie, Welcome, here on the SR site you will find a lot of advise and support here. :ghug3 I am not going to repeat what you already know just going to BOLD what I think you need to read back daily. The last statement is the most important and will get you through your day.

BD
Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just shy of 4 months of sobriety and I'm dealing with depression and anxiety. Taking medicaton for it. Terrible, terrible, terrible feeling. I fall right to sleep at night only to wake up during the night to my crazy thinking mind.....and not much sleep after that.....Never thought that I would be this person , just insane...
Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm doing the same thing. Sleep until 3, then up the rest of the night.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beanie1961 View Post
Just shy of 4 months of sobriety and I'm dealing with depression and anxiety. Taking medicaton for it. Terrible, terrible, terrible feeling. I fall right to sleep at night only to wake up during the night to my crazy thinking mind.....and not much sleep after that.....Never thought that I would be this person , just insane...
How long have you been taking the meds for? You have to give it a month for it to work. If it's not working then see your doctor about taking a different med.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beanie1961 View Post
Beanie, are you going to AA ?

Bob R
Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm doing the same thing. Sleep until 3, then up the rest of the night.
It really sucks, use to sleep like a baby.....Only been taking meds for 8 days, just want them to kick in so I can feel "normal"..
Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post

Bob R
I go to meetings, yes.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

... I did go to the Dr. yesterday and get a presrip for Lexapro. Not sure if I want to take it though. Wondered if it was a good idea to replace alcohol with a drug or try to get through this without it. ...
Depression medication isn't a recreational drug. Alcoholism is often a dual diagnosis disease. I suffer from alcoholism, OCD and depression. I was on Lexapro and after about a month or 6 weeks it kicked in. After a couple of years it stopped working. Dr. doubled the dose and I got relief for another year or so. Again it stopped working. Dr. switched me to Prestiq and I've been better for years now. I would take the meds.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I spent 25 years of my life drinking and suffering from anxiety with depressive features.

I quit drinking in 1998. That helped a lot, but it did not cure my mood disorder--and no program designed to help with drinking cured my mood disorder either. What helped me was individual therapy and antidepressant medication.

I feel normal now, and I have for years.

That's just my experience...you should not rely on it for yourself, but you should certainly see a doctor or other mental health clinician for an assessment of your own situation.

NOTE: Antidepressant medications usually take 4-6 weeks to fully kick in. I found that the time between starting them and having them really working was particularly difficult because I kept wanting them to work before it was reasonable to expect them to. It's important to give the meds a chance to work!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bob R
Bob, are you reading Rational Recovery?

Wishing you the best,
2parents
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
Bob, are you reading Rational Recovery?

Wishing you the best,
2parents
No, I'm not.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Computer Experiment..Gone Bad!

No, I'm not.
Hi Bob,

You really should try RR, it does help explain a lot.

BD
Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Tuitiefruitie

I think it takes time for our minds and bodies to recuperate - but I have no doubt you'll feel normal again. None of us would be here if we didn't

I have no experience with Lexapro but I agree with Charon that drugs prescribed for me to deal for a specific problem I have are a whole different proposition to the stuff I used to take and the way I used to take it.

I'd go and speak with your Dr again if you have concerns

D
Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

beanie

I agree with everyone else that, in my experience, you probably need a little more time for the meds to 'kick in' - I hope it's soon tho

D
Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

My anti d meds did absolutely nothing for me while I was drinking. The lable on the vial said Do Not Consume Alcohol - I thought something bad would happen to me if I did. Nothing bad really happened, but nothing good happened either. I did not see any relief for my depression and anxiety until I put the bottle down, and then Boy Howdy did things get better in a big hurry.

The general perception of anti D meds might be that if you are feeling sad, you pop a pill and then everything is suddenly magic. They don't work that way. Trust your Dr and see what happens, but keep away, far far away from any alcohol.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

sober...
not sober...

i've never felt normal..

never found anyone that could give me a satisfying answer what normal is anyways
Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I did wake up today feeling great. What a nice change.