Notices

Tomm is the set date, scared

Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Boxer

Tomm is the set date, scared

I set tommorrow as the day to get sober. Its humbleing for me to say Im not sure what to do bc I have always been the one leading the charge, only my Army isnt what I need anymore. Ive read a lot of threads about friends v drinking friends and recognize this is probably the case, I have no other frame of reference. There is a small group of parents, mostly Dads in FL who hang out while their kids go out and kill the skatepark. I dont mean casually, these guys are the real deal. We all meet up with coolers and tailgate and are celebrated for it bc our kids rip. My son competes constantly so I cant avoid the event and the fact that his best friends are the kids of the other party guys who I enjoy hanging with is a problem. Im goin' in tomorrow and will just stay sober for that day as planned. Ill worry about Tuesday on Tuesday I guess.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! You can do this!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Show up with your own cooler and load it with what you want to drink...Might want to bring some stuff to munch on too...I wish you luck...You got to be there...You got to be there....If it gets really bad...You can always excuse yourself and step out for a bit.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If this is a situation you can't avoid I reckon you need a plan neirishman - and maybe a little real life support too?

D
Old 04-08-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Once you learn to live a sober life you will enjoy your son's skating competetions so much more. My 2 daughters are also athletes, gymnastics and basketball. I can't believe how much more I enjoy the meets and games now that I am not hung over, wishing it was over so I could get a drink, or drinking secretly in the restroom. It will be hard at first, but worth it in the long run. Once the fog lifts you will connect with your son in a different way. The competetions will become about your son and not the tailgate party. I would limit your tailgating as much as possible until you are more comfortable not drinking. I found it hard to be around people drinking in early sobriety. I felt the need to drink in social situations and had to learn how to be sober and still have fun. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Show up with your own cooler and load it with what you want to drink...Might want to bring some stuff to munch on too...I wish you luck...You got to be there...You got to be there....If it gets really bad...You can always excuse yourself and step out for a bit.
I actually went through a couple of LOOOOONG contests wo drinking and I saw something interesting. Some of the most notorious tailgaters refrained in the next, for a while anyway. Two of the ones I expected to be the most antagonistic were the ones who made sure I knew the made casual modificatications (LOL, Yeah, Im a Pillar of strength, LMAO!!!!)

Maybe theyre going through the same thing, Im sure they are really. They just may not be as far down the path as I am or maybe they are much further down the path and see no way out, just playing their hand.

I think no matter what if Im sober Ill find the right way, been drunk half my life and the 1st half doesnt count bc I was a kid...That says a lot. I need to do better.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Why not offer to be an official in some capacity. From what I have seen there is a lot of work organising and marshalling etc in most meet type things
Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If this is a situation you can't avoid I reckon you need a plan neirishman - and maybe a little real life support too?

D
Yeah, Dee...I cant avoid it. Big, tough Irishman.....scared by a can of beer. LMAO!! The irony is off the chains. But true....
Old 04-08-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neirishman View Post
Big, tough Irishman.....scared by a can of beer. LMAO!!
I'll tell you what...That stuff brings you to your knees you won't be laughing...Beer damned near killed me.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Boxer

I'll tell you what...That stuff brings you to your knees you won't be laughing...Beer damed near killed me.
Was never a hard alcohol guy bc every buzz would elicit a different response. Suffice to say Long Islands and me werent great togather. It just took longer I guess but now beer (countless!!) is just a slower way of killing myself the same way, I think. I was told I had Fatty liver 2 years ago which would stop a "normal" person. It was just a speedbump...got back on it as bad as ever. Lately my hands have been shaking terribly in the morning, thats not normal. I drink a lot of Mt Dew but this happens before I drink them. Not looking forward to sweat and nightmares but Ive done it before (6 mos, one time)

He who endures, conquers....

Day one tomm..
Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just wonderin who drives the truck home after the festivities? hopefully the kids are of driving age and drive all their drunk fathers home.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neirishman View Post
but now beer (countless!!) is just a slower way of killing myself the same way, I think. I was told I had Fatty liver 2 years ago which would stop a "normal" person. It was just a speedbump...got back on it as bad as ever. Lately my hands have been shaking terribly in the morning, thats not normal.
I know that well....Been there and done that...Are you looking to stop this on your own?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
Just wonderin who drives the truck home after the festivities? hopefully the kids are of driving age and drive all their drunk fathers home.
There are only a few of us and are somehow fortunate to have a better half that doesnt drink heavily.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Boxer

I know that well....Been there and done that...Are you looking to stop this on your own?
Yeah. Me, SR plenty of literiture and aexersize program
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

neirishman

You can do it if you want it! As Dee said you need a plan!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One Irishman to another. Keep up the good work and you will certainly do it!

"May the sun always shine on your windowpane, may a rainbow be certain to follow each rain, may the hand of a friend always be near you, may God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you!